Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2016, 11:40 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wondering, do you prefer steeps, powder, groomers, bumps, park? Apres ski, restaurants, night life?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not sure about current lift ticket prices, but Jackson Hole and Telluride are two of my favorites. Alta and Steamboat are really good, too!

Wow, come to think of it, I can't wait for some fresh powder! Thanks for reminding us that a new ski season is right around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-31-2016, 04:50 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My son lives in Steamboat Springs, which is one of the more expensive places, however, you can pick up an 8 day pass that you can use anytime you want (i.e. not 8 days in a row), and it works out to about $65/ day, and any days on top of that will also be $65/day.
As I recall, you have to buy it before Sept.5. there are other options. I'm not old enough for any senior discount, so I don't know about it. Here's a link.
https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-.../winter-passes
Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Why limit yourself to the USA? Sure, a plane ticket to the Alps isn't cheap, but my experience in the Italy/France border area of Claviere/Montgenevre last February was that lift tickets were about $32/day, rental skis were about half the price of the US, and the lodging cost less as well. And I thought it was awesome that on the sign at the top of the chairlift, there were arrows guiding you down to the country of your choice. Eating at restaurants on the slopes was very reasonable too, unlike most US ski areas. I think in 2 weeks you would save money despite the airfare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This is true. In addition to lift tickets, equipment rentals are also more than reasonable. Add in a certain 'knowing how to live' on the part of the people and the experience is well worth the airfare.
Good advice and very timely, too, as I've decided to give consideration to places like Austria and Switzerland now after some further analysis. Anyone ever been to Solden or Zermatt?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Wondering, do you prefer steeps, powder, groomers, bumps, park? Apres ski, restaurants, night life?
My comfort zone is a nice, long groomed black, steep but not too steep... otherwise it would probably be a double black. I do ski some bumps but I'm not that great at it. Haven't got much technique in deep powder or trees yet, but it's definitely on my "to do" list to take some lessons.

In terms of après ski, I do enjoy that kind of stuff but don't need anything too fancy or elaborate. Just a nice place to sit and enjoy some food and drinks and look up at the mountain as the sun sets.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I learned to ski in Aspen, and needless to say it's got what you're looking for--except low prices. I've also skied the Austrian Alps.

My favorite area is the Lake Tahoe Basin. For a slightly smaller recreational mountain, we usually go most days to Ski Sierra. We also hit Heavenly and sometimes Kirkwood--high dollar but world class mountains.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #27

Aspen is one of my very favorites, and I'd definitely consider going back if the prices were anywhere near reasonable. I checked out their season pass options the other day, and my eyes almost popped out when I saw the prices on screen. They're well over twice as much as the Vail / Epic passes, which are fairly expensive in their own right. I'm fine with paying in the $500-$700 range for an unrestricted season pass, but $1,800 for a full season pass is beyond ludicrous! Even if my net worth were 3x what it is now, I wouldn't pay that on principle.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sun Valley ID has the best, consistent pitch (close to 3000' vertical), top to bottom trail I've ever skied. It's groomed and rated "blue", but really would be a black if not groomed. Not Cheap.

For great cruising, blue and black, Big Sky MT is a lot of fun and uncrowded. Don't overlook Bridger Bowl if you get in the BS area, reminded us a lot of our home base Elk Mt PA.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd be tempted to buy the epic pass and consider hitting up park city, Colorado, and tahoe resorts. There are several first class CO resorts, and both northstar and heavenly have lots of varied terrain and tons of long, steep groomers. CA resorts have no crowds on weekdays, and handle weekend crowds OK. The extra travel may not suit you, but I'd love to take a couple weeks and try to tag most of the local epic pass resorts in the west:

Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin in Colorado; Park City in Utah; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood at Lake Tahoe

They just announced a half dozen European resorts on the epic pass today. It would be a stretch, but that would be something to take a month long international ski trip and fill up that epic dance card.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Get an Epic Pass and stay in Frisco or Breckenridge, CO. Pass covers Breck, Keystone, A-Basin (3 huge resorts) and you can also use at Vail or Beaver Creek. World class snow, great towns in Breckenridge and Frisco and you won't get bored with the variety of runs. Hard to beat
Old 09-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

May I suggest our nearby 'resort' Silverton Mountain, just up the road from us. The highest and steepest ski area in the lower 48 with a peak elevation of 13,487’ one chairlift, and no easy way down. Not for the faint of heart. But it's only about a hundred bucks for a day.

silverton.jpg
Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Steamboat is my favorite place overall considering skiing, restaurants, no crowds, scenery, and the town. Crested Butte is a close second.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
Steamboat is my favorite place overall considering skiing, restaurants, no crowds, scenery, and the town. Crested Butte is a close second.

+1 for crusty butt. It is one of my favorites, too. The beauty of that valley and the terrain at the resort is fantastic. We spent a week skiing there over christmas two years ago. Stayed in a slopeside suite, and just had a great time.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
My comfort zone is a nice, long groomed black, steep but not too steep...
The best runs like this that I can think of are at telluride ... The Plunge and Bushwacker.

Deer valley is known for its grooming and should keep you entertained. Pricey tickets though.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another vote for Crusty Butt. Been going there for many, many years.
Great trails, and unless you're there in Xmas week or Spring break time, there are essentially no lift lines (which is the big attraction for me). Not the easiest place to get to, but worth the effort.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum