Join Early Retirement Today

Rafting on the Colorado
Old 08-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rafting on the Colorado

DW and I are going on an iconic, bucket list Grand Canyon raft trip next year and decided to give white water a test run while we were in Vail for the last few days. We did a half day trip thru Glenwood Canyon. It was a lot of fun even for a 71 Y/O. Thatís me one back on the left side (right to the viewer) and DW across on the front left. The other two are the friends we are visiting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C6CB032-E1DA-4220-9A86-D300A46862ED.jpg (853.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DFBAC7E2-C092-427B-A97C-77B2BF74C5FA.jpg (1.02 MB, 59 views)

donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have no doubt you'll love it!
We did a week long GC rafting trip (big, motorized rafts that hold 20 people each) and loved it so much we went back and did it again five years later. It truly is an incredible place.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I did the GC rafting trip for our tenth wedding anniversary. Itís my favorite vacation ever.

You will be too hot when youíre dry, too cold when youíre wet, and dirty much of the time. But itís all worth it!
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Thatís me one back on the left side (right to the viewer) and DW across on the front left. The other two are the friends we are visiting.
Edit: I wasnít looking at the pictures when I wrote this and got the orientation backwards. Iím on the right and DW is on the left.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Love driving thru Glenwood Canyon. Gorgeous. Have photo of DW & I standing alongside in winter hanging on wall here at home.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like a lot of fun. I have to do this. Now to convince DW and out travel mates.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We did a week long GC rafting trip (big, motorized rafts that hold 20 people each) and loved it so much we went back and did it again five years later. It truly is an incredible place.
Me too -- did this many years ago on a large, motorized raft with Grand Canyon Expeditions & it was one of the best experiences ever. The setting is spectacular & the wonderful crew took very good care of us (set up camp, prepared gourmet meals, always had cold drinks ready). Many nights before I fall asleep I still think about how incredible it was to be lying at the bottom on the Grand Canyon looking up at the stars.

I think with smaller companies & smaller rafts, you have to do a lot more paddling & I'm not sure how well they navigate in serious rapids. Those definitely require some expertise & I was happy to let the experts take over.

I believe these trips became so popular they've had to curtail the number of rafts allowed to do it.

I'm ready to do it again!
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
I believe these trips became so popular they've had to curtail the number of rafts allowed to do it.
Yes, even more than ten years ago we had to make reservations in August for a trip at the end of May. You definitely want to do it either early or late in the season because it gets so hot down there. In the first week of June we had temps of 120įF at times.

I think most of the bigger outfits take very good care of you. We used Hatch River Expeditions both times and I have nothing but the highest praise for them.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We are already reserved on a motor raft, full service deal. Four of us from DC are joining my Tucson nephew and friends who have done multiple GC and other raft trips. As others said, the number of trips is limited. We signed up a year ahead.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I took my then 16 year old son on one of the oar/paddle trips back in the early 2000s. You didn't have to paddle, but could if you want. Single paddle boat and several oar boats. As others have said, fantastic trip!!!

One of our fellow passengers was a farmer from Wisconsin (still actively working his land). He and has wife had always thought about doing it, and finally pulled the trigger. He was 82, she was 79. His 60ish son and his wife came along to keep an eye on them because the son wasn't so sure it was a good idea. The lead guide told me she'd seen several people that age on trips, but this guy was in the best shape she'd seen of passengers at 80ish.

I'd put him at about the 50th percentile in terms of condition among all passengers on the trip, he was in better shape than a few people half his age. One of the things he was bummed about was not getting to paddle the duckie, an inflatable kayak. You had to demonstrate your ability to self rescue in case you overturned before they'd let you do it, and he couldn't get over that hurdle. Close, but not quite. I was able to do the self rescue, but thought it was tough, zero experience in a kayak.

Enjoy the trip!!!
oldphd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
We are already reserved on a motor raft, full service deal. Four of us from DC are joining my Tucson nephew and friends who have done multiple GC and other raft trips. As others said, the number of trips is limited. We signed up a year ahead.
White water rafting is fun, but keep in mind the Glenwood trip you did is an "easy" trip by white water standards. I've done some wicked whitewater and have seen folks thrown from the boat. Respect the water and be careful. Its all fun and games until its not.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Love rafting, but have not done in years. Several rafters die every year on the Arkansas river in Colorado, so definitely NOT without risk!
Callitaday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
White water rafting is fun, but keep in mind the Glenwood trip you did is an "easy" trip by white water standards. I've done some wicked whitewater and have seen folks thrown from the boat. Respect the water and be careful. Its all fun and games until its not.
Yes, thatís why we selected the Glenwood trip. And the GC trip is a luxury deal in a large motorized raft. I have seen videos of what can happen and respect the dangers.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love WW rafting, we've been down The West Virginia New River several times, and the Pigeon River in N.C/Tenn. The New River has some serious class 4-5 areas, while the Pigeon is more relaxed.

I would love to run "The Gulley" when they drain down the Summerville lake into the New River (usually October) where they require a rafting resume, and a wet suit for world class rapids.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #15

A few years ago, we rafted the Nenana River in Denali National Park. We were in class III and IV rapids., and it was a hoot. At that time, I was 73, and DW was 68.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, thatís why we selected the Glenwood trip. And the GC trip is a luxury deal in a large motorized raft. I have seen videos of what can happen and respect the dangers.
You can certainly get wet enough even in the bigger ones!
DSC_0246.jpg
Old 08-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #17

Did it 20 years ago and it was fun. A few years later a friend of mine with her kids barely survived and were hurt. She saved someone else’s child. I decided enough fun for me)

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote