Rafting on the Colorado

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW and I are going on an iconic, bucket list Grand Canyon raft trip next year and decided to give white water a test run while we were in Vail for the last few days. We did a half day trip thru Glenwood Canyon. It was a lot of fun even for a 71 Y/O. That’s me one back on the left side (right to the viewer) and DW across on the front left. The other two are the friends we are visiting.

Attachments

• 7C6CB032-E1DA-4220-9A86-D300A46862ED.jpg
    7C6CB032-E1DA-4220-9A86-D300A46862ED.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DFBAC7E2-C092-427B-A97C-77B2BF74C5FA.jpg
    DFBAC7E2-C092-427B-A97C-77B2BF74C5FA.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
I have no doubt you'll love it!
We did a week long GC rafting trip (big, motorized rafts that hold 20 people each) and loved it so much we went back and did it again five years later. It truly is an incredible place.

DH and I did the GC rafting trip for our tenth wedding anniversary. It’s my favorite vacation ever.

You will be too hot when you’re dry, too cold when you’re wet, and dirty much of the time. But it’s all worth it!

That’s me one back on the left side (right to the viewer) and DW across on the front left. The other two are the friends we are visiting.
Edit: I wasn’t looking at the pictures when I wrote this and got the orientation backwards. I’m on the right and DW is on the left.

Love driving thru Glenwood Canyon. Gorgeous. Have photo of DW & I standing alongside in winter hanging on wall here at home.

We did a week long GC rafting trip (big, motorized rafts that hold 20 people each) and loved it so much we went back and did it again five years later. It truly is an incredible place.

Me too -- did this many years ago on a large, motorized raft with Grand Canyon Expeditions & it was one of the best experiences ever. The setting is spectacular & the wonderful crew took very good care of us (set up camp, prepared gourmet meals, always had cold drinks ready). Many nights before I fall asleep I still think about how incredible it was to be lying at the bottom on the Grand Canyon looking up at the stars.

I think with smaller companies & smaller rafts, you have to do a lot more paddling & I'm not sure how well they navigate in serious rapids. Those definitely require some expertise & I was happy to let the experts take over.

I believe these trips became so popular they've had to curtail the number of rafts allowed to do it.

I'm ready to do it again!

I believe these trips became so popular they've had to curtail the number of rafts allowed to do it.

Yes, even more than ten years ago we had to make reservations in August for a trip at the end of May. You definitely want to do it either early or late in the season because it gets so hot down there. In the first week of June we had temps of 120°F at times.

I think most of the bigger outfits take very good care of you. We used Hatch River Expeditions both times and I have nothing but the highest praise for them.

We are already reserved on a motor raft, full service deal. Four of us from DC are joining my Tucson nephew and friends who have done multiple GC and other raft trips. As others said, the number of trips is limited. We signed up a year ahead.

I took my then 16 year old son on one of the oar/paddle trips back in the early 2000s. You didn't have to paddle, but could if you want. Single paddle boat and several oar boats. As others have said, fantastic trip!!!

One of our fellow passengers was a farmer from Wisconsin (still actively working his land). He and has wife had always thought about doing it, and finally pulled the trigger. He was 82, she was 79. His 60ish son and his wife came along to keep an eye on them because the son wasn't so sure it was a good idea. :) The lead guide told me she'd seen several people that age on trips, but this guy was in the best shape she'd seen of passengers at 80ish.

I'd put him at about the 50th percentile in terms of condition among all passengers on the trip, he was in better shape than a few people half his age. One of the things he was bummed about was not getting to paddle the duckie, an inflatable kayak. You had to demonstrate your ability to self rescue in case you overturned before they'd let you do it, and he couldn't get over that hurdle. Close, but not quite. I was able to do the self rescue, but thought it was tough, zero experience in a kayak.

Enjoy the trip!!! :)

We are already reserved on a motor raft, full service deal. Four of us from DC are joining my Tucson nephew and friends who have done multiple GC and other raft trips. As others said, the number of trips is limited. We signed up a year ahead.

White water rafting is fun, but keep in mind the Glenwood trip you did is an "easy" trip by white water standards. I've done some wicked whitewater and have seen folks thrown from the boat. Respect the water and be careful. Its all fun and games until its not.

Love rafting, but have not done in years. Several rafters die every year on the Arkansas river in Colorado, so definitely NOT without risk!

White water rafting is fun, but keep in mind the Glenwood trip you did is an "easy" trip by white water standards. I've done some wicked whitewater and have seen folks thrown from the boat. Respect the water and be careful. Its all fun and games until its not.

Yes, that’s why we selected the Glenwood trip. And the GC trip is a luxury deal in a large motorized raft. I have seen videos of what can happen and respect the dangers.

I love WW rafting, we've been down The West Virginia New River several times, and the Pigeon River in N.C/Tenn. The New River has some serious class 4-5 areas, while the Pigeon is more relaxed.

I would love to run "The Gulley" when they drain down the Summerville lake into the New River (usually October) where they require a rafting resume, and a wet suit for world class rapids.

A few years ago, we rafted the Nenana River in Denali National Park. We were in class III and IV rapids., and it was a hoot. At that time, I was 73, and DW was 68.

Yes, that’s why we selected the Glenwood trip. And the GC trip is a luxury deal in a large motorized raft. I have seen videos of what can happen and respect the dangers.

You can certainly get wet enough even in the bigger ones!
DSC_0246.jpg

Did it 20 years ago and it was fun. A few years later a friend of mine with her kids barely survived and were hurt. She saved someone else’s child. I decided enough fun for me:))

Back
Top Bottom