(RE) Wahoo's Lounge, San Pedro, Belize

Gone4Good

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Greetings from Belize. Wahoo's is right on the beach. Maybe a future gathering spot for RE alumni.

p1090474.jpg

home of the world famous chicken what?

Greetings from Belize. Wahoo's is right on the beach. Maybe a future gathering spot for RE alumni.
Hilarious!

There is a big sign saying "Khan Shopping Center" in front of a strip mall in my suburb. I have often thought I should post a photo of it.

Since Khan is so frugal, it seems like an oxymoron, though. :)

home of the world famous chicken what?

Chicken drops. But don't ask me what they are, maybe REWahoo knows.

When it's time to eat I head several blocks away from the beach area to get much better and much cheaper traditional Belizean fare.

Looks like a cool place to hang out. I'm thinking of heading down there this spring.

Is that bird singing dollar signs?

Hilarious!

There is a big sign saying "Khan Shopping Center" in front of a strip mall in my suburb. I have often thought I should post a photo of it.

Does it sell Star Trek memorabilia? Autographed photos of Captain Kirk??

Interesting. That logo looks very similar to a popular restaurant we have in SoCal:

Wahoo's Fish Taco

Pretty good food, sorta a mix between Mexican-Hawaiian-Asian.

Man, no wonder REWahoo was able to RE. All these royalty checks! It's like having a working wife! :)

I always thought REWahoo's Texas thing was just a front for something bigger...

Perhaps an infringement on ReWahoo's IP rights, irrespective of his chicken drops. I also like his logo better than the Lounge sign.

Wahoo's Lounge, Spindrift Hotel, Belize

You know you're in San Pedro, Belize when the town's most happening night is built around watching a chicken poop.

The World Famous Chicken Drop, held every Wednesday evening in front of the Spindrift Hotel's Pier Lounge beach, has been a cultural phenomenon since 1988.

The Spindrift has one of the best bars on the island, Pier Lounge. It's located on the hotel’s beachside. Head there early on Wednesday - watch the waves and the tourists roll in and enjoy heavenly Happy Hour prices from 4:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. When you arrive, be sure to tell your server that you want to purchase a number for the Chicken Drop.

After Happy Hour, it’s time for the main event – Ambergris Caye’s version of the Vegas Strip and Rio's Carnival all wrapped up in one – The World Famous Chicken Drop!

Sometime after 6:00 p.m. (remember, you're on Belize time), everyone gathers outside around an outdoor pen to see how fast fresh coconut and a half-cooked slice of bacon travel through a chicken’s digestive system.

Usually, one of the tourists gets to place the poultry in the pen. Each week, they are given the same instruction: "Pretend the chicken is a pair of dice. Gently shake her three times and blow on her butt for good luck."

On this night, a very enthusiastic woman dutifully complies and puts the chicken in the pen. Our star performer clucks a few times and staggers around the board like a late-night drunken sailor. Suddenly, like the Alka-Seltzer commercial, "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz... oh. what a relief it is."

The owner of the winning number gets two honors. First, he or she cleans up from selecting the winning number (receives the cash). Second, he or she cleans up the winning number (it’s a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it).

I wanna know if Gone4Good won the chicken drop. :D

I wanna know if Gone4Good won the chicken drop. :D

Nope. I guess I should have planned better (or at all). Heading out tomorrow for San Ignacio. Staying an extra night to watch chicken crap is tempting, though.

Back
Top Bottom