Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Recommend Paul Gauguin Tahiti Cruise?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Recommend Paul Gauguin Tahiti Cruise?

Hi. DW and I looking at options for celebrating FIRE in 2019. Has to be in early August and we enjoy cruises. Wanted to skip Caribbean in Aug for obvious reasons. Just wondered if anyone has done this cruise and your thoughts. It's a smaller cruise ship that only accommodates 332 people. We've only done cruises on the monster RC cruise ships, so understand it would be very different. Thanks in advance.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are also going to French Polynesia in August 2019. It's going to be a very expensive trip.

I have heard great things about the PG however we aren't the formal dress up type. Windstar is another cruise company that is available and more appealing to us personally. We are spending a week on a tradewinds catamaran and a week on land. Looking at costs of 12 to 15 k. This was supposed to be the retirement trip of a lifetime but hubby got the 1 more year itch
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not really interested in revisiting Tahiti, but I was there in early 1963; the smell of copra permeated the air around Papeete, there were French, (or Légion étrangèr), troops.....and of course, Quinn's Bar:

https://holidaymag.wordpress.com/201...olfe-may-1968/

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, DH and I took the Paul Gaugin and we loved it! No formal dress-up required. Similar to Windstar, but more upscale (we’ve done Windstar too). Cabins are nicer, with balconies, and food is excellent. I highly recommend a combo trip - cruise on Paul Gaugin and then stay a few nights on Bora Bora. We went in June/early July and weather was great.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

We did a 10-night PG cruise from Papeete, through the Society Islands and out to the Cook Islands for our 25th anniversary in July of 2012. It was amazing, one of the best vacations we've ever done! It's maybe not as casual as Windstar (i.e. no shorts at dinner on the PG), but nobody really dresses up and there are no formal nights.

We loved the small size of the ship and that it visited islands that aren't possible for the larger ships since it can get into shallower lagoons. While anchored at the ports, they would open the sports deck so passengers could take out kayaks and paddle boards if they wanted to.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

I would absolutely recommend them.
I have attached stories of our 2 cruises with them. If you have any questions, please PM me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tahiti February 2007.pdf (640.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf TAHITI 2009.pdf (706.6 KB, 9 views)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
We are also going to French Polynesia in August 2019. It's going to be a very expensive trip.
Would you mind defining "very expensive"? Or perhaps a range?

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Would you mind defining "very expensive"? Or perhaps a range?
It is about $5K per person for a 7 day cruise including airfare from LA. All inclusive -gratituties, bar setup, shore excursions.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
It is about $5K per person for a 7 day cruise including airfare from LA. All inclusive -gratituties, bar setup, shore excursions.
Thanks! Not as horrific as I'd expected.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The Paul Gauguin is what I would call a one ship luxury cruise line. Yes it's very nice, but it's also quite expensive.

DW is one of those that stays up nights trolling the internet for bargain ocean cruises. We've been on repositioning cruises the last two Springs to Europe for 1/8th the price of a trip on one of the ultra luxury lines. DW leaves in 9 days for a Royal Caribbean cruise with one of her girlfriends.

We'd much better prefer 3 cruises to other parts of the world than going to the South Pacific.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Where does the cruise start?
Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #12

Haven't done that particular cruise company, but did honeymoon in Tahiti/French Polynesia.

Highly recommend getting to the off-islands. We stayed on Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Manihi. The only thing on Manihi was the "hotel" (roughly 25 "huts") and an airstrip. Rangiroa wasn't much bigger. Both were amazing.

French Polynesia is IMHO one of the prettiest places on earth. The colors of the waters are like nothing you've likely ever seen - the greenest greens..the bluest blues. Closest thing to paradise we could ever imagine. Would go back in a heartbeat if it weren't so flipping expensive..I think it cost us < $10K 25+ years ago for 2 weeks there (4 islands including inter-island flights, and over-water bungalows on Moorea and Manihi - beachfront about 25 steps to the ocean on Rangiroa) and it was well worth it. Would be at least double that and possibly even more now..

Some day I'll have to tell you guys the story about my battle with the Ghekos on Bora Bora..pesky little buggers, and we couldn't imagine them running across one of us in the middle of the night. (Yes, they get into your "hut" - the windows are pretty much open always and the roof is thatch..so nothing to keep them out, and they come and go as they please..yikes).
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Where does the cruise start?
It starts and ends at Papaete. You normally fly Air Tahiti Nui from LA.
P.S. Do not let anyone talk you into being there 3 hrs early at the airport in Tahiti.. There are only 4 gates!.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

One of the best things about the PG is Mark Eddowes, a cultural anthropologist. His lectures are absolutely fascinating
https://www.pgcruises.com/ms-paul-gauguin/experts/1427

Tags
paul gauguin, tahiti