Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So that is why you should have 2 or 3 credit cards, so you have a choice of which one to use if difficulties arise.

When I limited myself to 2 cards a long time ago, I learned to make one a Visa and the other Mastercard, as some places would not take one or the other.
Our experience is that most places that accepts Visa will accept Mastercard but we always carry an AMEX, a Visa and a Mastercard at all times.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #22

I think I may be straying from my LBYM roots.

Recently rented a car for 2 days. Bought the waiver for $26 total. Figured if anything (i.e. mostly small stuff like someone backing into me in a parking lot), I didn't have to mess with insurance and credit cards. I just didn't want to worry about hassle for such a small thing.

This is the first time I ever did this. Then again, it was just two days.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Timely thread for me. I'm about to rent a car in Italy for 3 days in May. Italy (and Ireland ) are special cases! Rick Steeves states:
Quote:
If you’re renting in either Ireland or Italy you’ll have little choice but to buy the company’s CDW.
If I'm deciphering all of this correctly, Italy requires you to buy Collision damage insurance (but it's terrible with really high deductibles). It cannot be waived. Because the coverage is so poor, I believe I have little choice but to buy "super" CDW. Why? Credit card primary or secondary coverage is null and void if you accept any coverage from the rental car company. I've read the coverage statement for my Barclaycard premium CC and that is the way I interpret the statement:
Quote:
How do I activate this benefit?
For the benefit to be in effect, you must:
• Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction with your eligible card, and
• Decline the auto rental company’s collision damage waiver (CDW/LDW) option,
or similar provision, if offered by the auto rental company.
So my choice appears to be:
1) take the minimal coverage and possible be on the hook for a few $k if I have an accident.
2) pay (~$30/day) for "super" CDW.
If anyone has any additional info (or can tell me I'm misreading all his, I'd appreciate a head's up.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #24

Your own personal auto policy is primary for a rental car in most places. Check with your agent before your trip to verify if you are covered.

Some credit cards come with physical damage/comprehensive insurance on car rentals charged on their cards. That is secondary to your personal auto policy in most cases.

Rental car CDW coverage is third priority--after the above. But it is required by law in Italy and Ireland. Just about every auto insurance policy specifically excludes a number of countries--many of which are in Eastern Europe and political hot spots.

What's so ridiculous is that most large rental car companies don't even carry any physical damage and comprehensive insurance on their cars. They claim they're "self insured." The CDW is essentially a pot of money they pay for damages out of, and it's another profit department to them.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
Timely thread for me. I'm about to rent a car in Italy for 3 days in May. Italy (and Ireland ) are special cases! Rick Steeves states:

If I'm deciphering all of this correctly, Italy requires you to buy Collision damage insurance (but it's terrible with really high deductibles). It cannot be waived. Because the coverage is so poor, I believe I have little choice but to buy "super" CDW. Why? Credit card primary or secondary coverage is null and void if you accept any coverage from the rental car company. I've read the coverage statement for my Barclaycard premium CC and that is the way I interpret the statement:

So my choice appears to be:
1) take the minimal coverage and possible be on the hook for a few $k if I have an accident.
2) pay (~$30/day) for "super" CDW.
If anyone has any additional info (or can tell me I'm misreading all his, I'd appreciate a head's up.
Have you been to Italy? In my opinion, they are the worst drivers I have ever seen in the world...and I have seen quite a bit. I personally would not rent a car in Italy...way too risky for me!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Bamaman - my Barclaycard has primary coverage whenever I'm out of the country. I think that's pretty typical for "world" cards. But I have the "mandatory cdw in Italy" problem. Ireland is specifically excluded by the card but Italy is not. I'm going to have to spend some time on the phone to get answers. I'll post what I discover.

FlyBoy - I haven't driven in Italy, but I've certainly heard the stories. I plan to pick up the car away from the big city (Orvieto train station) and drive through the countryside to Siena (Pienza, Montelcino,...) before dropping the car in Florence. Mostly countryside driving - so hopefully not too traumatic! I've done lots of driving in Europe and am used to narrow roads and fast cars (perhaps I'll have a different view after experiencing Italy ).
Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm currently working with Visa on an accident that I had back in Dec 2015. Nothing finalized as of yet, but I will update once I have more (crossing fingers). I talked a bit about this in my "Hi I am" post.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Darkstorm's post reminded me I needed to update my earlier post.
I have a Barclaycard arrival+ card (the version which has an annual fee). The rental-car insurance coverage it provides is primary in all overseas locations and does apply in Italy. If I am required to accept a minimal CDW (as appears to be the case in Italy) the card's policy will cover all additional charges due to collision or theft up to the value of the vehicle. It does cover loss of use charges etc. It does not cover content theft, or injuries to me or third parties. I have requested a letter of coverage form the benefit provider and they were happy to agree to mail one to my home address.

It appears I will be able to rent a car from Hertz for 3 days for less than $100. The insurance savings will easily cover my card's annual fee.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Darkstorm's post reminded me I needed to update my earlier post.
I have a Barclaycard arrival+ card (the version which has an annual fee). The rental-car insurance coverage it provides is primary in all overseas locations and does apply in Italy. If I am required to accept a minimal CDW (as appears to be the case in Italy) the card's policy will cover all additional charges due to collision or theft up to the value of the vehicle. It does cover loss of use charges etc. It does not cover content theft, or injuries to me or third parties. I have requested a letter of coverage form the benefit provider and they were happy to agree to mail one to my home address.

It appears I will be able to rent a car from Hertz for 3 days for less than $100. The insurance savings will easily cover my card's annual fee.
Good info to know. I might need to look into this card.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #30

foster, from what you said, then the Barclay Arrival Plus primary coverage is just for overseas rentals, not those in the US? I have this card, but my car rental needs are mostly in the US and I've been using the Chase Sapphire.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Sarah - yes it has secondary coverage in the US (but is primary if you have no personal car insurance). I thought that all cards worked the same way. I'll have to look at the sapphire card.

I chose the arrival+ card because it would automatically default to chip and pin whenever signatures were not possible (ticket kiosks, gas stations in Europe). It has worked flawlessly for me on trips to Peru, Bolivia, Spain and France. I would prefer a true chip and pin (it works as chip and signature when a signature can be generated) but I don't have easy access to accounts which offer such a card.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Sarah - how does the sapphire card handle chip transactions? Chip and signature only; signature 1st, pin 2nd (when signatures not possible); pin 1st, sig. 2nd?

It looks like an attractive card but PIN functionality is really important to me. I would have to call their benefits administrator to see if their CDW works in Italy and would prefer to know their chip policy before doing so.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #33

AFAIK, the Sapphire card is a chip and signature card. I got the Barclay Arrival+ card just for its chip and pin functionality.

I thought I read somewhere that rental coverage was primary, but I can't see it. There seems to be a lot of old information (from 2014 ) on their site. I'll have to call them to be sure.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Walkin: the current Barclaycard benefit statement is dated 2014. The CDW info. is still correct. It states:
Quote:
Within your country of residence, this benefit supplements, and applies excess of, any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement from any source. This means that, subject to the terms and conditions of this Guide to Benefits, Auto Rental CDW applies to losses or expenses that are not covered by insurance or reimbursement.
Given the sapphire card is also a "world elite mastercard" it will follow the same basic benefits but all cards have the option to "upgrade" coverage. I've read online that sapphire did this to make coverage primary in the US and essentially void the statement in the 2014 document. I may get this card just for the sign up benefits (and rental car coverage) in the US. I'd really love it if it had true chip + pin (or even defaults to chip + pin). If that were the case I'd close my barclaycard account.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sarah - yes it has secondary coverage in the US (but is primary if you have no personal car insurance). I thought that all cards worked the same way. I'll have to look at the sapphire card.

I chose the arrival+ card because it would automatically default to chip and pin whenever signatures were not possible (ticket kiosks, gas stations in Europe). It has worked flawlessly for me on trips to Peru, Bolivia, Spain and France. I would prefer a true chip and pin (it works as chip and signature when a signature can be generated) but I don't have easy access to accounts which offer such a card.
No US issuers that I am aware of offer chip and PIN cards with PIN priority. The handful of US issuers that issue chip and PIN cards are all signature priority - something that was apparently decided years ago.

It's a bit of a pain, but for this reason I usually just use my chip and signature cards in Europe (they have better rewards) unless I encounter the occasional kiosk I need to use. My batting average with kiosks is not high - about half the time they won't accept my card because it's "invalid" which I think is code for it's a foreign issued credit card. Can't do anything about that short of opening a European bank account.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'll have to look more closely at how the United Mileage cards handle European car rentals. It would be primary of course, but I need to look specifically into restricted countries and some of the limited collision coverage required to carry. One of these days I'll look into it....

I'm not planning to rent any time soon - enjoying the public transportation too much. But who knows.....
Old 03-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #37

fosters, thanks for the additional info. I admit to being exhausted just by reading all the T&Cs on these cards and trying to determine what they actually mean! I carry the Sapphire always, but have had the Barclays once before and just picked it up again for the spend bonus.

I carry liability only coverage on my old cars, and lots of it, but always worry just a bit with a rental car and try to rent using the card that has primary coverage for damage to the car itself, not liability. There's that pesky "loss of use" fee that they threaten you with when you decline coverage, but I'll have to cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

DH will be on public transportation (the Marrakesh express, it looks like) during his upcoming trip to Morocco in April/May. But I will probably send him with the Barclays card because of the chip/pin ease and no foreign transaction fees.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I thought I read somewhere that rental coverage was primary, but I can't see it. There seems to be a lot of old information (from 2014 ) on their site. I'll have to call them to be sure.
I really have to learn to write more clearly. The above was meant to be about the Sapphire card.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #39

I think some of the cards with "primary" benefits have a list of excluded countries as well. Mexico and for some reason Ireland come to mind. It's all about the fine print and there is always a lot of fine print.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

We went to Alaska years ago and rented a vehicle for a week. Ended up with a small pickup truck which was nice for driving around there. I declined the insurance thinking I would be covered by the credit card but later found out that pickup trucks are not covered. Gotta read the fine print!

Sent from my XT1049 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app