Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I think some of the cards with "primary" benefits have a list of excluded countries as well. Mexico and for some reason Ireland come to mind. It's all about the fine print and there is always a lot of fine print.
I think that's very true - I would always call the benefit administrator before relying on a card's coverage (Israel, Jamaica and Ireland (both)) are excluded in the online document for my card. Many cards exclude Italy, so I called to check and was told all was OK there. Mexico is not mentioned in my agreement, but I'd certainly call before renting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
We went to Alaska years ago and rented a vehicle for a week. Ended up with a small pickup truck which was nice for driving around there. I declined the insurance thinking I would be covered by the credit card but later found out that pickup trucks are not covered. Gotta read the fine print!
My policy excludes "vehicles that have an open cargo bed" too. It pays to check!

The downside of a misunderstanding could be huge, so calling is very wise. The Barclaycard's administrator was easy to contact (800-348-8472; a collect number if you are overseas) and was extremely helpful and efficient. They asked for my card number (to make sure there were no confusions about my policy) and confirmed it would have all the necessary coverage in Italy, that it was OK to have the mandatory CDW and quickly dispatched a letter of coverage for my rental (to ease any arguments about why I will decline an up-sell on the CDW and to have in writing my coverage). I will always call before any future planned rentals.

As an aside, I really like the Barclaycard. The 2% cash back, no foreign transaction fees, true PIN (when necessary), and travel insurance are very nice. I also like the 90 day return protection and 1-year warranty extension (although I've yet to use these features). I will probably get the sapphire card too based upon the comments on this thread. I can always use another intro bonus offer .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I carry liability only coverage on my old cars, and lots of it, but always worry just a bit with a rental car and try to rent using the card that has primary coverage for damage to the car itself, not liability. There's that pesky "loss of use" fee that they threaten you with when you decline coverage, but I'll have to cross that bridge if I ever come to it.
They pulled that on me the last time we rented. I wasn't prepared and went ahead and got the stupid insurance. But, as luck would have it...someone hit our rental car! Can you believe it? The one time I pay for their coverage, we actually ended up using it! I was never so happy that agent was so pushy, lol! That's karma!!!

Anyways, I digress. My reason for replying is afterwards I studied up on our American Express coverage. Apparently it DOES cover loss of use:

The coverage also reimburses the Cardmember for reasonable charges (those charges incurred at the closest facility that are usual and customary in the vicinity in which the loss or disablement took place) imposed by the Rental Company, such as towing or storage and Loss of Use.

“Loss of Use” means the unavailability of a Rental Auto and consequent loss of revenue by the Rental Company due to damage or theft.

Unless otherwise required by law, the Rental Company must submit a fleet utilization log indicating that during such time:

1. no other Rental Auto was available; and
2. there was a demand for a Rental Auto.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #43

Wow, you sure are lucky in the rental car department! Now I'll be sweating it next time I so cavalierly say no thanks!

Interesting about the loss of use coverage on Amex. I wonder how the back and forth on that "availability and demand" paperwork works out between the rental agency and the card's insurance?

Foster, I have used the extended warranty on the Sapphire before, a couple of times, and must admit, it is very easy. Now, when I buy something on Amazon that I think will be likely to break (basically anything for the damn automatic gate opener), I skip the 5% cash back Amazon Prime card and pull out the Sapphire. It also makes it easier for me to remember which card I bought what on, since I burn through a lot of bonuses and cards in the course of a year. Always the Sapphire on anything with moving parts!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #44

Quote:

Interesting about the loss of use coverage on Amex. I wonder how the back and forth on that "availability and demand" paperwork works out between the rental agency and the card's insurance?
I know. I kinda wonder if Am Ex refuses to pay if the rental car company would still pursue me for charges. At least maybe Am Ex would wear them down, and I could get the paperwork and fight them with the same reasoning. Or, maybe I just will have great luck and will never have damage occur to a rental again!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
They pulled that on me the last time we rented. I wasn't prepared and went ahead and got the stupid insurance. But, as luck would have it...someone hit our rental car! Can you believe it? The one time I pay for their coverage, we actually ended up using it! I was never so happy that agent was so pushy, lol! That's karma!!!
[/I]
How that that go? They promise if you have their coverage, they pretty much handle everything without much hassle. The thing about credit card and your own insurance is you have a few more levels of paperwork to deal with.

Was it as easy at they say?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most companies won't turn over their use logs to credit card insurance companies to determine if a car would have been rented, and a recent court case says that they aren't obligated to turn over such records. This is somewhat perceived as giving some credit card companies an "out" in terms of covering the loss-of-use claims from a car rental company.

However, after reading several stories on the 'net, including at flyertalk.com and discussions at the end of articles on car rental insurance, it seems that the credit card insurance will eventually cover at least some of the loss of use. Some cards are better than others. Amex more of a stickler saying they won't cover it because they didn't get logs from the car rental company, VISA being more accommodating. You might be haggling over some of it with a car rental damage recovery company. But it sounds like things usually get figured out eventually, it might just take longer.

I'm going to be sure to take photographs of any damage when I receive the car. And additional photos afterward when I return it. This is the first step in fighting a claim if necessary. It's not unheard of for someone to get a claim for either damage that was already on the car, or damage that occurred after they returned it, sometimes long after.

I plan to use a card where the credit card company provides primary car rental insurance so I only have to deal with them, and not my home car insurance company.

On loss-of-use for damage that I was responsible for - I'll then just let the car rental credit card company hash it out, and if there is something not covered for whatever reason, I'll just have to deal with it then.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #47

Between the hassle and cost of flying, the cost of rental cars, (and don't get me started on all the taxes and add-ons to the quoted price) , the confusion over insurance and possible liability, my DH and I have decided we would just take the time and drive our own car to where we want to go. It's a lot easier if you are ER'd.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Between the hassle and cost of flying, the cost of rental cars, (and don't get me started on all the taxes and add-ons to the quoted price) , the confusion over insurance and possible liability, my DH and I have decided we would just take the time and drive our own car to where we want to go. It's a lot easier if you are ER'd.
Good luck driving to Hawaii!!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
How that that go? They promise if you have their coverage, they pretty much handle everything without much hassle. The thing about credit card and your own insurance is you have a few more levels of paperwork to deal with.

Was it as easy at they say?
Unbelievably easy.

We pulled the car in. They started the inspection. We told them there was damage, and that someone must have hit us when we were parked somewhere. We didn't notice it until filling up the gas.

She seemed quite concerned and started pulling out a binder to start taking info - until we told her we had purchased full insurance coverage from them. She then immediately relaxed, we filled out a simple form, and drove off. That was in January - haven't heard anything from them since! Knock on wood!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Unbelievably easy.

We pulled the car in. They started the inspection. We told them there was damage, and that someone must have hit us when we were parked somewhere. We didn't notice it until filling up the gas.

She seemed quite concerned and started pulling out a binder to start taking info - until we told her we had purchased full insurance coverage from them. She then immediately relaxed, we filled out a simple form, and drove off. That was in January - haven't heard anything from them since! Knock on wood!
Thanks. That's what they promise.

I carry huge deductibles on my personal insurance, so I know if I had to use them, I'd also have to include the credit cards. It just sounds like a lot of hassle. For weekend jaunts, the $30 or so seems worth it to me. For 2 week trips, well, maybe the hassle would be worth it.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Good luck driving to Hawaii!!
Yes, Europe would be a bit of a problem too, that is, until they get those bridges built!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Thanks. That's what they promise.

I carry huge deductibles on my personal insurance, so I know if I had to use them, I'd also have to include the credit cards. It just sounds like a lot of hassle. For weekend jaunts, the $30 or so seems worth it to me. For 2 week trips, well, maybe the hassle would be worth it.
Where I'm renting for 2 weeks, the CDW is $30 a day! So it almost doubles an already substantial rental cost.

For just one or two days - different story. Especially if it's a lot lower than $30 a day.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #53

Quote:
fosters, thanks for the additional info. I admit to being exhausted just by reading all the T&Cs on these cards and trying to determine what they actually mean! I carry the Sapphire always, but have had the Barclays once before and just picked it up again for the spend bonus.

I carry liability only coverage on my old cars, and lots of it, but always worry just a bit with a rental car and try to rent using the card that has primary coverage for damage to the car itself, not liability. There's that pesky "loss of use" fee that they threaten you with when you decline coverage, but I'll have to cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

DH will be on public transportation (the Marrakesh express, it looks like) during his upcoming trip to Morocco in April/May. But I will probably send him with the Barclays card because of the chip/pin ease and no foreign transaction fees.
This thread made me look up what's covered on some of my cards. I got the PenFed visa for the chip and pin - but it specifically covers that pesky "loss of use".... From the PDF on their website under what *is* covered by the card:
Quote:
 Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and
substantiated by the auto rental company
Old 03-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #54

Yep, it is that "substantiated" part that is the sticky part, if they won't give the logs to the card company.
I figure like most people that odds are good we won't get hit, and I'll let them wrestle it out if it does happen.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, it is that "substantiated" part that is the sticky part, if they won't give the logs to the card company.
I figure like most people that odds are good we won't get hit, and I'll let them wrestle it out if it does happen.
Exactly - that "substantiated" part can be the sticker and can give the credit car company an out.

But from the stories I have read, some credit card companies have been accommodative on this - maybe if it's not ridiculous.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Exactly - that "substantiated" part can be the sticker and can give the credit car company an out.

But from the stories I have read, some credit card companies have been accommodative on this - maybe if it's not ridiculous.
But if the rental company cannot substantiate that the car was not rented, how can they demand loss of use payment ?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
But if the rental company cannot substantiate that the car was not rented, how can they demand loss of use payment ?
A recent court case decided otherwise.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #58

Quote:
DH will be on public transportation (the Marrakesh express, it looks like) during his upcoming trip to Morocco in April/May. But I will probably send him with the Barclays card because of the chip/pin ease and no foreign transaction fees.
Will you be joining him for the finish line party this time?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #59

Hell no.

He's going with Hans and a few of the rally veterans, so in good hands, I think. Though what he really needs is a support vehicle, like a van or something, to follow behind the mini-bikes and carry pretty much everything they can't put on the back of the knee-high machines.

I have seen some very cheap flights....just sayin'...