Join Early Retirement Today

Rental Car Liability? Driver or Renter?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Rental Car Liability? Driver or Renter?

I am renting a passenger van to transport my daughters soccer team to a tournament several hours away. I will be using my credit card to rent the van and will be listed as a driver. I will probably do about 10% of the driving. There will be another parent listed as a driver also who will be doing 90% of the driving.

My credit card has supplemental insurance for rental vehicles.
My auto insurance will cover it also.
I plan on buying supplemental liability insurance with the rental car company.
I haven't confirmed it yet, but I assume the other parent also has vehicle insurance that will cover her portion while she is driving.
The soccer club does not have a supplemental policy to cover vehicle rentals for team transports.

My concern is if the other driver causes an accident will I be protected by my auto insurance?

I would appreciate any type of guidance on this. Thanks

Sent from my TRS-80

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry, but this would be a question for your insurance agent.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have to agree with Bamaman, best to check. My experience with CC and benefits of rental insurance, it's worthless just a feel good tease.
When I had a minor fender bender out of state in a rental tried to use it. Ha Ha, they don't payout without a letter from your insurance company explaining why they won't cover you(maybe it covers deductible).
I don't like driving rentals, used to a pickup not a car, so the probability of an accident is higher for me.

I'll never refuse the rental full coverage again. My time and aggravation was worth more.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
+1, what members here might say isn't going to hold any water if there's an accident. The only way you can be reassured is talk to your agent...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a reason you are renting the van if someone else is doing 90 percent of the driving? Can that person also rent the van?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
+1

FWIW- It's my understanding that it ultimately the renter is responsible. I would also explore the personal liability aspect of this rental. Other kids/parents may sue if there were an accident with injuries.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is not an answer to your question, just an FYI. Typically the rental company requires additional drivers to present their license at the time of rental, unless it is your spouse. Be sure to check into this.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on talking with your agent.
I believe your plan to Purchase Liab coverage through the rental co is good idea in this instance. Presuming you're not getting paid to drive the team, Auto policy of Whoever is driving at time of accident should respond as secondary liab coverage over the coverage purchased from the rental car company. If you've ever also wondered when an Umbrella policy is a good idea, this is one of the scenarios where an Umbrella policy would help insure any gaps in your liability coverage that could occur in an accident with so many passengers.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
This is not an answer to your question, just an FYI. Typically the rental company requires additional drivers to present their license at the time of rental, unless it is your spouse. Be sure to check into this.
I can't remember ever renting a car without the agent asking if 'anyone else will be driving the car?' I am NOT suggesting the OP would deceive anyone, but if a renter were to lie and there was an accident with another undisclosed driver, the renter should be held liable...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Is there a reason you are renting the van if someone else is doing 90 percent of the driving? Can that person also rent the van?
I would REALLY consider this. There is NO way I would want to be responsible for 8-10 children's lives on ANY insurance I have procured for any automobile. One accident with injuries and you could very well be RUINED financially. Just my thoughts...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for everyones advise. I will give USAA a call tomorrow since I have an umbrella policy as well as auto insurance with them. Also the other driver will be present with me when I rent the van.

Sent from my TRS-80
Old 03-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The last time I rented a SUV I researched the credit card insurance and found most credit cards exclude coverage for rented trucks, 4x4s and vans.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The last time I rented a SUV I researched the credit card insurance and found most credit cards exclude coverage for rented trucks, 4x4s and vans.
Along these lines (if I may sidetrack a bit), does anyone know about those rental trucks you can get from Home Depot and the like. Seems like a pretty cheap rate for one hour (all I would need), and saves wear/tear on the CR-V for something messy, or for something just a bit too large for it.

How is insurance handled? Is it $20/hour to rent (or whatever the rate is), and $500 for insurance?

-ERD50
Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Along these lines (if I may sidetrack a bit), does anyone know about those rental trucks you can get from Home Depot and the like. Seems like a pretty cheap rate for one hour (all I would need), and saves wear/tear on the CR-V for something messy, or for something just a bit too large for it.

How is insurance handled? Is it $20/hour to rent (or whatever the rate is), and $500 for insurance?

-ERD50
Not only that, most rentals have a "loss of use" clause. I'd hate to be responsible for the loss of use on an HD truck!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Tale of a HD truck renter. For him insurance coverage hinged on the GVW of the rented truck.

Quote:
His insurer, Hanover Insurance of Worcester, said it rejected the claim because a registration form it received from Home Depot indicated the truck weighed 10,000 pounds.
Boston.com / Business / Weighty matter: insurance coverage for a rented truck

Quote:
Many renters also assume their credit card company will cover them if they have an accident, but Visa and MasterCard both explicitly state that trucks are excluded from their collision and damage coverage.