Repositioning Cruises

We very much prefer one way cruising. Don't like to pay for the same real estate twice. We are on one now. Boarded in Buenos Aires and we jump off in Valparaiso. Spent time in Uruguay and Argentina prior, will spend time in Chile, Pansma, and perhaps Costa Rica at the other end.
Sounds like the one we took. However, we found that the airfare from Santiago to LA was more than staying on the ship from Valparaiso to LA for 2 weeks. Plus, we did not have to fly home (no airport hassle)

We did a reward ticket from Calgary-Santiago with a 'free' stopover in Panama City on the way home. We scored a $60 USD flight on Sky from Santiago to Montevideo. Toured Uruguay, then crossed over from Colonia to Buenos Aires to tour and to board the ship. We have also been looking at the Jet Blue flights to South America for perhaps next winter.

Thanks for the prices.

My wife and I have taken two repositioning cruises with Celebrity. Both were 14 days from Europe to FLL. Absolutely fabulous sailings. A week to see Europe and another week to relax on the way back home.

We've got a Carribean cruise booked for 12/16 - 12/23.

Michael

On every cruise we have taken we meet interesting people. That is one of the perks of going on one. On one cruise we found a hot tub in a odd place outside and no one else seemed to know about it so we had that to ourselves. My DH and I sometimes want to do different activities which works well on the ship. Sometimes we will even take a different excursion on an island if we don't want to do the same thing.

On every cruise we have taken we meet interesting people.

On recent trips we've spent time with:

- A Chinese couple who now live in Chicago, she worked in a Chinese reataurant while he obtained his engineering degree.

- A Vietnamese couple living in Houston.

- An 80 year old New Zealander who still does triathlons, and is working on compiling a Chinese-English dictionary.

- A South African couple (~80), who emigrated from RSA to Canada, moved to Nicaragua, thence Panama where they currently live.

- A French doctor and his wife, currently living in Marseille, who have an 'art blog'.

And a number of others.....all of whom had interesting tales about their past lives.....we enjoy hearing stories about how people started out, what they experienced, and how they arrived at their current locales.

Just checking out VTG, there are some good deals:
14 days Mar 30 Fort Lauderdale, FL Barcelona, Spain Holland America / Rotterdam base price $499

14 days Mar 30 Fort Lauderdale, FL Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Holland America / Westerdam $699

13 days Apr 2 Fort Lauderdale, FL Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Holland America / Koningsdam $499

14 days Apr 9 San Juan, Puerto Rico Lisbon, Portugal Windstar / Star Legend $759 (love to go on this one!)

14 days Apr 17 Tampa, FL Barcelona, Spain Royal Caribbean / Brilliance of the Seas $599

Thanks, Nemo for calling repositioning cruises to our attention. I look up and my wife's contacting her buddy at Avoya Travel booking the brand new Koningsdam to Rome for $530 including everything--with $75 back in credits.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm getting kind'a tired of cruises as we've done the Baltics and the Greek Islands in the last 18 months. And it's going to be our 3rd time and 2nd Easter Sunday in Rome recently.

We're going over to Budapest (favorite city) and getting an apartment for a week. The ace in the hole is flying Norwegian Air Shuttle from Budapest to the U.S.--$475 for 2 people. That's cheap.

And to think that I was looking forward to having a boring, quiet Spring. Forget that.

We're going over to Budapest (favorite city) and getting an apartment for a week. The ace in the hole is flying Norwegian Air Shuttle from Budapest to the U.S.--

Love Budapest!

We're scheduled to fly Norwegian for the first time, Bergen to Krakow, on June 11, after we disembark from our upcoming back-to-backs.

Love Budapest!

We're scheduled to fly Norwegian for the first time, Bergen to Krakow, on June 11, after we disembark from our upcoming back-to-backs.

I don't know if you've been to Bergen before, but we really, really liked it--in the Summer. I've never seen more beautiful people anywhere in the world. They're tall, statuesque and very sweet people.

I didn't find the fjords nearly as beautiful as expected. I've seen many vistas of greater beauty. We really liked the Flam Railway going down into the fjords, however.

I cannot get over how well priced rooms and travel to Hungary is. Budapest is kind of like what Prague used to be before it got so expensive. And the Ruin Bars in Budapest are beyond incredible--for young Bohemians.

I don't know if you've been to Bergen before, but we really, really liked it--in the Summer.

Bergen: climbed the trail...went from the port to the peak.

We did it first thing in the morning.......come afternoon, torrential rain.

Stoltzekleiven trail
e6qd55.jpg

2eobtb9.jpg

2yoan0x.jpg

In Budapest we purchased a 24 hour metro pass.....went on the oldest subway, the newest subway, the cog railway, commuter ferry up the river, and some streetcar rides......all within the 24 hours. :LOL:

I didn't find the fjords nearly as beautiful as expected.

We really like going into Kotor, Montenegro - sailing down the Gulf of Kotor was superb.

We have been to Krakow twice and really love it.

Do most of you then fly back? We have always wanted to do a repositioning cruise but we don't want to fly back. And not Europe savvy enough to know how to stay there affordably for the 4+ months until a repositioning cruise comes back. Hence my thread about tramp/freighter ships and the Queen Mary 2 Ocean Liner.

Just didn't know if I was missing some other alternative to getting back to the U.S. without flying. Or if anyone had good articles/resources for staying in Europe for several months (at an affordable rate). ;)

. Hence my thread about tramp/freighter ships and the Queen Mary 2 Ocean Liner.
I would not recommend the QM2, unless you like to really dress up for dinner every night for the crappy food they have. Unless you are in the Grill Cla$$, it is not a good experience.
The only reason I did it because at the time they had a deal to fly the Concorde back for about $300 per person.

Anyone here have experience with great deals for singles?

Looking to do a repositioning cruise somewhere in the next two years. Looked a bit at Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation Pricing doesn't seem to be found below 60 USD per day? For doubles 39 USD is quite prevalent.

So pricing for a single is about $60 USD/day compared to the doubles rate - is that what you are saying? A tour package is about twice that for a single plus airfare to get to/from the start of the tour. Sounds like a bargain!

- Rita

WE fly home but if I wanted to stay in Europe for a few months I would rent an apartment. Some friends of mine did this and saved a lot of $. It also depends what country and area you are in in regard to the expenses involved. It would be cheap to live in Poland for a few months but not if you choose a big city in Italy. My friends actually put all their possessions in storage and then rented their paid for home for a year while they traveled.

So pricing for a single is about $60 USD/day compared to the doubles rate - is that what you are saying? A tour package is about twice that for a single plus airfare to get to/from the start of the tour. Sounds like a bargain!

- Rita

The best deal I could find right now - yes. Without airfare as well. Thing is the some of these ships have single cabins so it's not as if I'm taking up space :)

And it's excluding $12 to $15 (depends on the offer) 'mandatory' tipping per day.

Guess I shouldn't ask for the moon, it would be great to find something around the same price as for doubles. Pet peeve of the day (year): being punished for singledom ;)

The best deal I could find right now - yes. Without airfare as well. Thing is the some of these ships have single cabins so it's not as if I'm taking up space :)

And it's excluding $12 to $15 (depends on the offer) 'mandatory' tipping per day.

Guess I shouldn't ask for the moon, it would be great to find something around the same price as for doubles. Pet peeve of the day (year): being punished for singledom ;)
Overseas Adventure Travel doesn't charge a single supplement for their small ship cruises, but, single cabins are limited if you insist on no roommate. If you are willing to accept a roommate they will match you. Grand Circle Travel, their parent company does charge single supplements for river cruises. If you are willing to share they will match you. If they can't match you they don't charge a supplement.
gct.com
oattravel.com

Rita

Back
Top Bottom