Join Early Retirement Today

Reserving Hostel Online
Old 11-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reserving Hostel Online

I'm trying to make reservations online with a hostel in Flagstaff, AZ.

I get this message:
"www.checkoutaisle.com" is a site that uses a security certificate to encrypt data during transmission but its certificate expired on 10/1/2007 at 6:59 p.m.

You should check to make sure that your computer's time is correct.

Would you like to continue anyway?

Options in the form of buttons are:
View Certificate, Continue, Cancel.

My computer time is correct. Is it safe to continue and make reservations with my credit card?

I've tried calling the hostel several times during the day but it is Sunday and so maybe they are understaffed and ignoring the phone although they say their hours are 7:00 a.m. to midnight 7 days a week.

I suppose I can call them tomorrow, but I would still like to know if in a situation like this, one should not proceed with credit card transactions.

Thanks as usual for any input.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is it independent?? I was on the board of Hosteling International for the local board (because my Mom used them all the time)... they have a website and I think you can reserve from that site...

OR, wait till they open Monday...

BTW, there should be someone there at all times if they have people.... but they might not know about the web site... don't know why they do not answer the phone.... that is their job. I would wait until you are sure they are still open... just me.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That just means the validation (certificate that they are who they say they are) for their secure sockets layer encryption (what you use when you pay by credit card or sign in with a password) expired. It happens frequently with small business sites. Most people just click on by and don't worry about it. The more prudent thing to do would be make your reservation by phone or make the reservation online but not the payment (if that is possible).
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the replies.

I made the reservation by phone. I was so excited to get someone live yesterday that I forgot to mention the certification expiration message.

I am psyched about our trip. BF and I hardly travel together anywhere except to Sheboygan, WI, and to the NW 'burbs of Chicago. We are visiting relatives in Peoria and Mesa. I also want to see the Grand Canyon--never seen it before.

We are going by train--32 hours from Chicago to Flagstaff. I am looking forward to the train ride going there but I hope I don't go bonkers on the second 32-hour trip back. We will bring books, scrabble, my learning-to-knit materials, music player, snacks, maybe a laptop.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote