Retired living "Everywhere" - Boston Globe article

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There was an interesting article in today's Boston Globe about a retired couple who sold everything and now live 3 months here, 4 months there, etc. Sorta reminds me of perpetual travelers Paul and Vicki Terhorst who are well known in early retirement circles. The difference, as I see it, is that the Terhorsts made the move to that lifestyle when they were relatively young; the folks in the Globe article did it much later in life.

Can’t decide where to retire? Try ‘everywhere’ - Travel - The Boston Globe

I first saw Lynne and Tim Martin's story in the Wall Street Journal little more than a year ago. She's just published a book on their experience, and they were on a network morning show a few weeks ago. Here's her website:

Home Free Adventures

I love the idea, but we like our current home too much. Still, renting in a location for a month or so is compelling. We've been cruising various destinations for about 10 years now, and I look at that form of travel as a way to discover enough about a place to go back on more independent terms...

Interesting article, thanks. We were in Paris for two weeks. That was probably enough. Three months seems like too much for us.

This is almost exactly what we want to do. It's amazing they're approaching or at age 70. Thanks for the link. I will for sure check out their blog more thoroughly. I just read the 'repositioning cruise' they use. This is new to me.

Where is the best place to find long term rental (30 days or more)?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've had best success with vrbo.com and airbnb.com, but only domestically. I haven't tried booking a longer term rental internationally yet.

I was curious about this couple's financial situation, and from their interview it appears they live on about $6000 monthly draw plus social security plus a small pension. I suspect that roughly $100,000 per year does make the permanent travel lifestyle more approachable. Great they got to that point, of course - but might be a little tougher to pull off with lower resources. My more modest resources don't keep me from being interesting in the concept, though.

Shortstop, I was watching CNBC this morning and saw an interview with the co-CEO of homeaway.com, interesting site.

Looks like homeaway.com acquired vrbo.com a few years back - so both likely provide the same sort of places. I'll have to check that out and see if it's got more options.

I would do this for several years if DW was willing. We are travelling for five months out of the next eight. Still have to pay rent etc. for an empty condo. Got to get our travel list done while we still have the health and the energy to do it.

I think I would feel unsettled without a home base place to live. In CA some of the 55+ communities are relatively inexpensive compared to the surrounding areas so I think a small mortgage free condo or townhome in one of those would work.

Returning to the relaxation of home is part of the excitement of any trip for me. I love to travel and experiencing new places, people, cultures and history, and plan some extended travels in the near future, but would really miss not having a home base.

I find it interesting that the husband was unaware of the Schengen treaty before they started this adventure. It's kind of a no-brainer to research visa issues before embarking.

(This is where it's handy that my husband and sons are dual citizens with Italy. We have our "get around" the 90 day tourist limitations.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom