Join Early Retirement Today

Review of Denver area trip
Old 08-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Review of Denver area trip

The main purpose of the trip was to go to a concert at Red Rocks. We also spent time in Estes Park (Rocky Mtn. National Park) as well as some time in Colorado Springs.

We spent one day in RMNP. Great views, went on an easy hike, drove around, stayed at a nice condo right on a river (creek). It was a great day. I had never seen the mountains and I am so glad to have had the chance to do so. They're beautiful.

The next day was the concert but we had the morning to take a road trip down to Colorado Springs. It was a short trip, but I wanted to see the Air Force Cadet chapel. It's a very interesting building. Beyond it's beauty, I was moved that they have the second pew roped off with a sign that said reserved for POW's and those missing in action. There was a single candle in the middle of the pew. The level of respect our military has for the missing and fallen is awesome. We also drove through the Garden of the Gods and saw a number of rock outcroppings. They were cool, but we had run out of time so it was just a drive by.

Then the main event. The concert. First thing's first. Red Rocks is an exceptional venue. However, if you go, be in good health or investigate a way to be dropped off at the main entrance. From where we parked, we probably had to walk up about 150 feet in elevation to get in. We walked up a pretty steep incline and then to finish us off, 250 steps up to get to the level where our row was. And still, it was worth it. The sound is incredible and the feeling that you get from being in the "bowl" of a mountain is something else. I want to go again already. If you're ever anywhere close, do go.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Who did you see at Red Rocks?

jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
Who did you see at Red Rocks?
Chris Tomlin. Chris is a Christian singer. DW is a fan, I'm just a fan of music in general. Not who I would have chose, but it's our anniversary and DW's birthday the last week of July, so it was a lot about the annual celebration and a focus on DW. Surprisingly, even though not my style of music, it was a great show. The music was good and the venue made it special. Getting bonus points for taking DW to see him was just good planning on my part. One thing I will say about the group is that they did something I wish all the groups I take DW to would do. They had a screen with the words to the songs streaming. Even the mild acts I take DW to, like upcoming Sarah McLachlan, it's hard if you don't know the songs to follow along and enjoy them. Chris figured out a solution.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Chris Tomlin. Chris is a Christian singer. DW is a fan, I'm just a fan of music in general. Not who I would have chose, but it's our anniversary and DW's birthday the last week of July, so it was a lot about the annual celebration and a focus on DW. Surprisingly, even though not my style of music, it was a great show. The music was good and the venue made it special. Getting bonus points for taking DW to see him was just good planning on my part. One thing I will say about the group is that they did something I wish all the groups I take DW to would do. They had a screen with the words to the songs streaming. Even the mild acts I take DW to, like upcoming Sarah McLachlan, it's hard if you don't know the songs to follow along and enjoy them. Chris figured out a solution.

Thats a concert and venue Id love to see any day. Thanks for the report. Sounds like a very good time.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

The red rocks amphitheater is on our "must take" list for our visitors. We usually go in the AM since it is open to all then. Our guests are always blown away when they see the amphitheater from the top. Most then want to walk down to the stage to see the view from there. Walking back up is usually slower

Glad you had a wonderful time.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #6

I never thought of going to the top. We had lower seats (row 15). I guess I’ll have to go back.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

How many breweries did you make it to?
YoungSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

The hotel had some local brews that were good but I didn’t get a chance to go to a brewery.

I was going to have a Coor’s, but the barkeep assured me that it wasn’t any different just because it was made down the street so I passed.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

What was your overall impression of Colorado Springs?
EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

We were there at nearly the same time as the OP. Hiked in RMNP, saw a bit of Colorado Springs, drank beer and went to a Rockies game in Denver. Everybody had a great time. We thought Colorado Springs was lovely and we'd go back.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #11

I love Red Rocks
I love rocky mountain national park even more.

Did you you try Beau Jo's pizza? Order toppings by the pound... do you want 2 lbs of toppings or 5 lbs?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #12

Did you take the time to visit the museum under the bowl? Great history of the geology, the construction and then all the acts that have played there over the years.

COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote