Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
He has. Did an Iran show & Turkey which is Asia Minor. Think I recall him doing Morocco too.
Really? That's great. I had not seen those episodes. Would like to. I'm assuming he's getting to an age where his comfort zone may keep him in europe till he retires. Like I say, his skill set is welcomed by a number of people who like to travel to places other than europe, or the 'road less travelled'.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Are you sure it was Rick Steves? He is currently on a 100 day tour of Europe and is posting on his blog daily. On May 14 he was in Southern France on a Choo-Choo Train.

https://blog.ricksteves.com/

He has been in France since May 6th. Before that he was in Sicily.
Well he doesn’t actually say he was there on May 14. We’ll see what he posts on his blog.

Yes, we’re sure it was him. He was wearing that same scruffy beard.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Read what he says May 13:

"It’s Day 24 of my 100-day trip to Europe, and I’m in Carcassonne, updating the Rick Steves France guidebook with my co-author, Steve Smith.

Read his facebook and twitter feeds also.

https://www.facebook.com/ricksteves/
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Read what he says May 13:

"It’s Day 24 of my 100-day trip to Europe, and I’m in Carcassonne, updating the Rick Steves France guidebook with my co-author, Steve Smith.

Read his facebook and twitter feeds also.

Yes, I read that. And Carcassone would be at the end of the path along the French Mediterranean coast. We’ll see what he posts.

There was the big annual festival in Nerja today. Don’t know if that has any bearing.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #45

By the way, Facebook posts are geo located. Look where he was May 14 - Collioure, France

He is headed to Spain tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
View from our balcony at the Parador de Nerja at sunrise this morning:

Wow...
Old 05-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
By the way, Facebook posts are geo located. Look where he was May 14 - Collioure, France

He is headed to Spain tomorrow.
Rick Steves’ blog made it to Barcelona yesterday, but Rick Steves himself was spotted in Ronda yesterday, which is not far from us. So obviously the blog is running a few days behind the person.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #48

Quote:
That is totally cool!
+ many. That would be fun.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Rick Steves’ blog made it to Barcelona yesterday, but Rick Steves himself was spotted in Ronda yesterday, which is not far from us. So obviously the blog is running a few days behind the person.
He is with a crew (Amy and others) recording his 100 day tour of Europe. His Facebook posts are geo tagged with the time and date. Facebook uses the mobile devices location to target advertisement from local businesses. This is how geo tagging software on Facebook works. A GPS is accurate to a few meters.

Rick Steves posted a new episode — at Musée de la Romanité.
May 12 at 5:50pm · Nîmes, France

Rick Steves posted a new episode — at L'escargot.
May 13 at 1:33pm · Carcassonne, France ·

Rick Steves posted a new episode.
May 14 at 4:45pm · Collioure, France

Rick Steves posted a new episode.
18 hrs ·
It’s Day 26 of my 100-day trip to Europe, and I’ve just wrapped up a productive week of guidebook research in France with my co-author, Steve Smith. We’ll be saying “au revoir” soon — but first, we’re driving into Spain together.

When we came upon an abandoned border station — covered in graffiti and smothered in old travel memories — we just had to stop, get out, and reminisce.

Rick Steves posted a new video — at Casa Batlló - Gaudí Barcelona.
14 hrs · Barcelona, Spain

His Facebook posts are 100% consistent with his blog. 18 hours ago he as at the border between France and Spain. 14 hours ago he was in Barcelona. Both are far from Balcón de Europa. On the 14th of May he was in France. This is fact. He will be in Barcelona over the next few days according to his own social media posts.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #50
Administrator

It is possible that Mr Steves can be in one place while someone else from his team updates his blog from a different location. It’s also possible that he can visit multiple locations in the same day. There’s even a chance he avoids party crashers and other unwanted guests by doing the tour and having someone post the blog entries a few days later from the proper route locations.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It is possible that Mr Steves can be in one place while someone else from his team updates his blog from a different location. It’s also possible that he can visit multiple locations in the same day. There’s even a chance he avoids party crashers and other unwanted guests by doing the tour and having someone post the blog entries a few days later from the proper route locations.
Even easier than that, as a professional digital journalist, he almost certainly uses a tool like HootSuite or one of its many competitors to queue up his writings. Once his editor, proofreader, or social media manager has had a look at them and they've made any corrections or changes, he or someone else pushes a button to schedule the postings to appear on all his social media channels at once with the proper links to each other. The Facebook post is geotagged when it's created, but it doesn't appear in his feed until the scheduled time. It's been 5 years since I worked in a digital agency and that's how our social media team did things back then, so I can only imagine it's even simpler nowadays.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Even easier than that, as a professional digital journalist, he almost certainly uses a tool like HootSuite or one of its many competitors to queue up his writings. Once his editor, proofreader, or social media manager has had a look at them and they've made any corrections or changes, he or someone else pushes a button to schedule the postings to appear on all his social media channels at once with the proper links to each other. The Facebook post is geotagged when it's created, but it doesn't appear in his feed until the scheduled time. It's been 5 years since I worked in a digital agency and that's how our social media team did things back then, so I can only imagine it's even simpler nowadays.
That makes a lot of sense and adds more clarity to the discussion.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That makes a lot of sense and adds more clarity to the discussion.

+1

Makes a lot more sense than any other scenario. I guess someone here must think that audreyh1 was either:

A) Hallucinating (but still lucid enough to write a clear and detailed post).

B) Pulling our legs (why?).

C) Confused about what day it is? Well, that can happen on vacation (or to any retired person). Wait, scratch that, she reported seeing him before he was supposedly there? OK, time traveler.

D) Rick Steves has a twin brother, who goes ahead of him to clear out the paparazzi?

Yeah, scheduling the posts makes more sense to me. Occam's Razor once again!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #54

Sounds like a new game is in order:

Where in the World is Rick Steves?
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi Audrey, how are you navigating around Spain? Car or trains or ... ?

When I have looked at the R.S. Spain book I wasn’t so sure it was as easy as other Europe destinations. We usually have just used trains.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Okay you can’t get more cool than that. I used to live in Spain.
Mark24609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
At the end of our Mediterranean cruise, we rented a car in Barcelona and headed south. Our first stop was a Parador and we were so impressed, we had them book Paradores all the way to Malaga. The only exception was in Malaga which was totally booked. This was in November and we had great weather. The one in The Alhambra was amazing.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

super cool!!! hope you got a selfie!
Beachgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hi Audrey, how are you navigating around Spain? Car or trains or ... ?

When I have looked at the R.S. Spain book I wasn’t so sure it was as easy as other Europe destinations. We usually have just used trains.
Trains and bus. Nerja is reachable by bus not train. And because of high speed rail line works part of the route to Granada is currently by bus. So we decided to add a couple of other places that are reachable by bus since Granada required it anyway. The ALSA bus system is pretty good. I was able to buy some bus tickets online (thanks to Paypal) and others I bought from the ticket window upon arrival. Bus service is a major form of longer distance travel in Spain. They don’t have medium to smallish towns linked by train like France and the Netherlands do.

These buses have luggage storage in the “basement”, and fairly nice seats.

We haven’t driven in Europe yet.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
At the end of our Mediterranean cruise, we rented a car in Barcelona and headed south. Our first stop was a Parador and we were so impressed, we had them book Paradores all the way to Malaga. The only exception was in Malaga which was totally booked. This was in November and we had great weather. The one in The Alhambra was amazing.
We have been impressed with the Paradors so far. The breakfast at the one in Nerja was outstanding. It’s a 20th century hotel, so not in a historical building (by Spain standards). But the cliff-side grounds are massive and wide open while the areas outside have been built up much more densely.

We are trying another parador in Úbeda. That one is in a 16th century palace.

We ate lunch at the Parador in the Alhambra twice. One for their fancy “Nazrid” inspired menu which was very nice. And another more casual meal on the lovely terrace.

We booked two days with of tickets at the Alhambra. We spent a whole day with a late afternoon palaces visit and returned for a morning palaces visit and had a chance to catch up with a couple of things we missed the first day, and then just had to visit the Generalife all over again too! So we ended up 3/4 day on the second. I think most folks budget 4 hours.