Join Early Retirement Today

Rio de Janeiro??
Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rio de Janeiro??

With the Olympics going on, it looks pretty.

Anyone ever been?

good, bad?

LOL, I love the "Girl from Ipenema" and the videos of Carnival
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #2

I lived in Rio for several years in the late 80s.
Amazingly beautiful city, full of (mostly) warm and friendly people.

Much too much going on right now, but DW has been bugging me for many years to take her there, and I'll probably do that in a year or two.

High crime rate, something to be aware of.

Rio's people, known as Cariocas, are the easy-going, laid back type for the most part. Whereas the business capital of Brazil, São Paulo, is all about making money. So the standard line goes that when the Paulistas retire, they move to Rio to enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Too many years have passed to give you any detailed info, but personally I love the place (and most of the rest of Brazil too).

Edit: BTW, it's Rio de Janeiro (common spelling mistake).
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember listening to a podcast with comedian Brad Williams. He recounted his experience during the World Cup in Brazil. He was told by a Brazilian official to get a fake wallet and cell phone because he would be mugged eventually. He heeded the official's advice and was mugged. lol

I've heard a lot of good things about Uruguay. Cost of living doesn't seem to be much less than the US but for a vacation I'd take it over Brazil.
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi. I travelled to Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. In Uruguay I stayed at a gaucho ranch. It was kind of primitive, I think they shut the electrical generator down at about 8 pm. I dont think there was internet. The Uruguayan people are very hospitable, the food on the ranch was really good and the horseback riding was fun.

Rio was great too, in a very different way, but I am pretty good about going with the flow. I was also warned about pickpockets, but I grew up not far from NYC, so I know how to shift into "heightened awareness" mode when needed.

If you go, have a great time!
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I visited Rio recently (Within the last 3 years while I was doing a contract) on a business trip. I was not impressed. We were 1 block off Copa Cabana beach. Our hotel concierge advised not to wear watches or take a wallet when we went out in the evenings. "Just take what you need".

Yes Copa and Ipanema are pretty, but that is it. I found it a little like Atlantic City and Vegas, once you go back off the strip things get worse and worse. JMHO I have no intention of going back.

No personal bad experiences other than being approached by nefarious people offering just as nefarious services.

It is one of the only place I travelled on business that I did not want to take my wife back to on a vacation.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Administrator

Rio is my all time favorite travel destination. I went frequently on business, took vacation days there around business trips and even brought DW along on a business trip - the only time. It is an amazing city - exotic, modern and mellow at the same time. Braumeister captured it's charm well in his post.

That said, it is not recommended for the inexperienced traveler - it's dangerous and too easy to get into trouble. Copacabana in particular, visitors should plan on staying in Leblon or Ipanema.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
With the Olympics going on, it looks pretty.

Anyone ever been?

good, bad?

LOL, I love the "Girl from Ipenema" and the videos of Carnival
Not since 1956, when I took the attached photos of the famous Corcovado statue and of Rio from that vantage point, using my trusty Brownie camera.

If there was any crime there, I was not aware of it. Of course we were aware of pickpockets, as we always were in large foreign cities during our travels. I felt much, much safer there than in the slums of Cairo a couple of years previous, for example. Overall we thought Rio was amazingly clean and beautiful (in comparison with many of our prior, admittedly scuzzy destinations elsewhere). The beach was stunningly beautiful. We walked around in the Copacabana and elsewhere, with absolutely no problems.

Of course, this was 60 years ago so that might be why we were able to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 - Corcovada_front.JPG (26.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 - Rio_from_Corcovada_2.JPG (43.9 KB, 15 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I remember listening to a podcast with comedian Brad Williams. He recounted his experience during the World Cup in Brazil. He was told by a Brazilian official to get a fake wallet and cell phone because he would be mugged eventually. He heeded the official's advice and was mugged. lol
With my luck I'd get mugged twice. I carry the 2nd wallet a lot of places. Hadn't thought of the 2nd phone, but I wouldn't want to lose my regular one, so that's a good idea too.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My daughter, Brazilian son-in-law and myself went two years ago. Having a native speaker with us all the time made me feel very safe and worry free. I feel very fortunate to have made that trip.

We had a driver for a 1 day while in Rio, that picked us up from the airport then took us up into the mountains to visit family members, the rest of the time, we walked or took cabs. I did feel a little apprehensive when we took a bus to large market area but everything was just fine. Cabs are really pretty cheap (and FAST) in comparison to here.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lived in São Paulo in the late 90s and used to visit Rio often, including for major events such as Carnival (twice), Y2k and the World Cup. Fun city but one must be careful. I was once attacked by street kids using broken bottles as weapons. I was also shaken down by crooked cops.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote