Join Early Retirement Today

Road trip!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Road trip!

I may have the pleasure of the following road trip:

http://bit.ly/PnWqS

from 9/15 through 9/23.

Any recommendations for things to see/do?

Any recommendations for getting in with a drive away service? (One way rentals are expensive.)

2Cor521

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #2

Eat a Maine lobster at an old-fashioned place on a dock.

I have great memories of this place in South Freeport.

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Company | Lunch counter and lobster pound | South Freeport Maine Harbor

Pick out your lobster from the big holding tank (a small pool in some states). Watch 'em toss it in a basket with taters and corn. Retire to the dining room and ponder which kind of pie you want for dessert.

A few minutes later, they call your number and hand you a steaming bucket of food, some newspaper, a bib, a nutcracker and a stack of napkins.

Don't park in one of the 1-hour spots at the front...it's a feast.

If you like outdoor activities and the gear that goes with it, the big L.L. Bean headquarters store (with an outlet shop down the street) is just up the road in Freeport. Open 24x7, I believe.

This thread has the railroad buffs excited about a trip to the railroad museum in Scranton, PA:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-new-post.html

Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I see you're following the Massachusetts Turnpike (aka I-90), but do yourself a favor and ditch that for the following route. From Albany NY, make your way to Troy NY and pick up Rt. 2 east across Massachusetts. From the NY border you'll pass over Taconic Mountain, then down to the picturesque town of Williamstown, thence to North Adams and over Whitcomb Summit via the hairpin turn. Stop at the summit and climb the wooden tower for an impressive view. Continue on this stretch of road known as the Mohawk Trail, down through Charlemont and eastward towards the crossing of the Connecticut River. Just before the river in the town of Turners Falls, take a brief right at the stoplight, cross the bridge over the falls and eat breakfast at the local greasy spoon diner, good New England food and the wacky Massachusetts accent. Be sure and say things like how "wicked cool" your trip is and you'll fit right in!

Continue east on Rt. 2, crossing the Connecticut River via the French King Bridge. At exit #20 you can take a small detour southward 2 miles into the town of Templeton, and right at the town common opposite the fire station is the Templeton Ice Cream Barn. You'll be a mile from my house. Return to Rt. 2 east and follow it to eventually intersect with your normal intinerary into Maine.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

If you have the time while in the Dayton, Ohio area, take a little jaunt north to the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Great history here.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Take Skyline Drive instead of I-81 for that section in Virginia.

Gordonsville is a bit of an odd stop rather than the very nearby Charlottesville, IMO.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #6

Thanks all for the suggestions.

The waypoints are required -- it's a business trip and those points are where the businesses are located. The routing between the waypoints is somewhat flexible.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

You would get a lot more scenery if your route from L to N went via a more northern route like Rt3 and rt2..
Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Take a short driving break in Binghamton NY and exit at Front St right off I-81 for gas fillup. Ask the attendant where you can get fresh spiedies, which are grilled marinated pork or lamb that is to die for. There is a spiedie place very close to the gas station on Front St.
Easy on and off the highway if you need a rest from the boring highway driving.

Your trip route will not take you anywhere near my area, otherwise I'd say stop and say hello if time permitted.

Warning: Don't speed on the NYS Thruway with out of state plates. Just set your cruise control to the right number or they may think you're an interstate drug or contraband runner.
And they will chase you, even if you are barely speeding. NYS Thruway is full of unmarked cruisers as well as marked ones.
Speed limit is 65 except near larger cities and highway interchanges. Signs are posted well in advance. No tricks.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Take a short driving break in Binghamton NY and exit at Front St right off I-81 for gas fillup. Ask the attendant where you can get fresh spiedies, which are grilled marinated pork or lamb that is to die for. There is a spiedie place very close to the gas station on Front St.
Easy on and off the highway if you need a rest from the boring highway driving.

Your trip route will not take you anywhere near my area, otherwise I'd say stop and say hello if time permitted.

Warning: Don't speed on the NYS Thruway with out of state plates. Just set your cruise control to the right number or they may think you're an interstate drug or contraband runner.
And they will chase you, even if you are barely speeding. NYS Thruway is full of unmarked cruisers as well as marked ones.
Speed limit is 65 except near larger cities and highway interchanges. Signs are posted well in advance. No tricks.
don't know for sure if Saratoga NY is in the plans but a small drive by there is very enjoyable... but remember don't drink and drive in NY ... for sure...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #10

Hi, see your PM. You'll run right by me if you take the route you're showing. However, I'm not grasping the nature or purpose of this road trip because it seems to miss most of the big touristy areas, or is that point?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #11

2Cor -

Unless you're seeing some sights in Chicago on your posted route, I would take 294 south out of ORD to 80 and take it east to avoid minimize traffic