Join Early Retirement Today

Road Trip-"Western" US
Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Road Trip-"Western" US

We have a road trip in our RV (Class B) on our schedule in March. Trip will take us from Spokane to Dallas with a focus on spending some significant time in New Mexico. We will pretty much head "directly" to Dallas (routing is "flexible") for an appointment but will return at our leisure though New Mexico and whatever else "rings our bell" at the time.
We already have Carlsbad, Los Cruces, Sante Fe and Albuquerque on list but would love to have suggestions of board members for great places (including RV parks from the RVers on the board) to stay, eat and special sights to see.
Thanks
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A stop at Ojo Caliente for a hot springs bath, if you have not been there.

Will give it more thought for other stops. Not going through CO?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'd highly recommend the national parks in southern Utah - Bryce, Zion, Arches, Capitol Reef, and Mesa Verde.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

Gila Cliff dwellings.

Enjoyed it. Its a challenge with what you are driving. I say this but never drove one So it could be a piece of cake. Cool area. Not many people even in high season. Frankly, we found it to be very peaceful.

Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

But since you have Las Cruces. It may be on your list.

White Sands was neat. DW and I had a picnic in the dunes and watched the folks sled down the dunes. Once in a lifetime for me. Never grew up or around any sand dunes! Nothing like enjoying a home made sandwich and soda. While watching young and old tumble down the dunes.

Carlsbad,White Sands, Gila were all one day things to me. Not an RV person so your milage may differ.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The back road from Pagosa Springs, CO to Chama, NM is a great drive. You can do the steam locomotive ride in Chama. It is similar to the one in Durango. I don't think much of Las Cruces but just south is a world famous Mexican resturant La Posta. La Posta Restaurant Old Mesilla New Mexico Dad used to eat there during WWII.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #6

You might add Los Alamos, Bandelier National Monument and Taos to your itinerary. And if you end up on I25 heading toward Raton I love Ft. Union National Monument. If you end up near Four Corners you have a big list of options, but I consider Canyon de Chelly National Monument and Chaco Culture National Historic Park must sees.

Coach
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto White Sands plus the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in New Mexico. Monument Valley too.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Santa Fe is great - has a nice downtown with the oldest bldg in the country
I didn't care for Taos - too artsy
If you swing through central Colorado, the Royal Gorge Bridge and Pikes Peak are great - The road from Silverton to Durango is amazing, but may be too wild for an rv
Utah - Monument valley up through Moab is a great ride
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
We will pretty much head "directly" to Dallas (routing is "flexible") for an appointment but will return at our leisure though New Mexico and whatever else "rings our bell" at the time.
You should do a "search" of the forum on this subject, This is one of many previous discussions of this subject:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-nm-45753.html

(In any event, I don't mean to interrupt this thread -- In fact, I don't believe there has been enough said about this, my favorite part of the US.)

One of the first things you should do is acquire a copy of the AAA map, "Indian Country Guide Map." Found here at Amazon with a picture here. This map covers the area of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado that you are interested in.

There are a gajillion articles written by RVers on the net. An example: Utah 2003 -- make sure to click on the "Photos" links at the top of the page.

What model "B" do you have? Ours is a 2008 Roadtrek 210V.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #10

There is a lot to see around Santa Fe.
I also recommend Durango, CO. From there you could go to Silverton in the mountains - either on a great train ride or by road.
Don't miss Sedona, AZ. Great red rocks. Hike up to the top of Cathedral rock. It is an experience you will not forget.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What model "B" do you have? Ours is a 2008 Roadtrek 210V.
Ron and others
Thanks for the great tips and ideas. We have had New Mexico on our list for some time and are looking forward to exploring.
Ron, We have the same model Roadtrek, but a 2007. Not sure what the difference is but we have been real happy with ours. We downsized from a small A and really enjoyed the flexibilty it offers. Headed to a Valentine weekend at Walla Walla wineries with it this weekend.
Nwsteve
Old 02-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #12

That ought to be an easy drive from Pullman. Fun little trek, too. Walla Walla has done quite a transformation in the last twenty years.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
That ought to be an easy drive from Pullman. Fun little trek, too. Walla Walla has done quite a transformation in the last twenty years.
Keim
Just saw your location-Howdy Neighbor
Takes us just under two hours to get to Walla Walla. You are certainly correct about the change in the town. I think they now have 2-3 times the wineries they had 5 years ago and the place certainly looks prosperous.
Nwsteve
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #14

I can remember when I dreaded going to Walla2. Now it is a destination!
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote