Robbed while traveling stories

This is the bra stash pocket. Incognito Bra Stash – SV445 | Magellan's Travel Supplies

I use a moneybelt and DH prefers the inside-of-the-pants wallet that is threaded through a belt and then flipped inside.

I may pick up one of those arm or leg wallets before our next trip, though, because I'd like to have another place for bills--they aren't big enough for the passport.

I subscribe to Travel Safety, which has good reports on safety topics. A latest report had this to say: Theft from passengers

Singapore police are warning that members of a Chinese crime syndicate are believed to be stealing money from the bags of passengers sleeping on flights to and from the country.

Eighteen reports about in-flight thefts have been filed so far this year, up from only one in 2011, said Assistant Commissioner of Police Sam Tee, head of the airport police division.

"Investigations revealed that some of the thieves are suspected to be syndicate members from China working in groups of three to four individuals per flight,"

...(snip)...
Tourists are their targets. Women that sling around big purses are pretty much asking to be victimized. IMHO, people that carry their valuables around that way deserve losing them. It's not like it's a surprise but I'm amazed at the number of Americans that somehow think they won't get hit. It took me several trips to convince my DW that she could live without a purse on vacation but I finally succeeded.
DW was starting to let down her guard and complaining about taking a valuables' pouch. I showed her your post and this thread. I think she will be more serious about security. Who wants a hole punched in their vacation!

gerntz said:
Well, I got pickpocketed last week in Paris while standing on a crowded Metro train; i.e., subway. Wallet was in a double-buttoned side pocket. Didn't feel a thing. Lost equivalent of about $400, driver's license & credit cards. Fortunately not passport since we were coming home the next day.

That would tick me off! I go to Vegas frequently and walk around with a lot of cash as I line shop for best payout for various sporting bets. I always wear cargo shots with double buttons on pocket. Wallet cant come out unless both are unbuttoned. Luckily it is never too cold out there as my wallet couldn't fit in a jeans front pocket because there is too much cash in it. No way am I leaving any of it in a safe in my room. Since I am from a small town, I like my space when I walk so I keep my distance. When I hit an occasional bottleneck my hand is near my pocket and one eyeball is on it too.

I hunted up this old thread to post a link to an interesting article from the BBC about pickpockets. I'd like to think I wouldn't be unaware in this situation, but who know, especially if they don't "look like" pickpockets, but more like other tourists.

BBC News - Olympics: Pickpockets show off 'one-second theft'

To get a closer look at their "one-second theft", I offer to become their victim. They demonstrate a tactic named after Ronaldinho, the footballer who dances when he scores.

Johnny approaches with a map, asking for directions, while Mario and Danny pretend to be drunk, swinging their arms and forcing me to dance.

They run off in different directions and Danny returns, proudly holding my wallet. I didn't notice a thing, it all happened so quickly.

"I am the distracter," explains Johnny.

"Mario is the pickpocket or the distracter because he is very experienced, and if he takes your wallet or phone he hands it to Danny; he is the runner.

"That way the tourist has no idea who did it or who has their belongings."

I hunted up this old thread to post a link to an interesting article from the BBC about pickpockets. I'd like to think I wouldn't be unaware in this situation, but who know, especially if they don't "look like" pickpockets, but more like other tourists.

BBC News - Olympics: Pickpockets show off 'one-second theft'

Nice video, seeing is believing.

I could see protecting against the pants pocket theft. It sort of looked liked they took something (wallet?) from his back pocket. But I often carry a small day pack and the only thing I can think of is to put my best items (like a Kindle ebook) low down in the pack. On subways I generally switch the pack to my front anyway so I can sit down.

Seen a pick pocket get accused on the subway in Rome. After arguing with her accuser the metro police came and tried to take her off the train. She resisted quite fiercely until the cop gave up! Probably the oddest resisting arrest I've witnessed. In the US that person would have been tased and pepper sprayed lol.

A friend was on a Greek subway a few weeks ago. He was standing, wallet in back pocket attached by a chain, train was approaching a station. He realized there were four men standing close around him that hadn't been there a moment ago, right before he felt his wallet pulled from his pocket.

My friend isn't very big but he's an ex cop. Instincts kicked in and one of the four found himself against the door with a very angry man attached to his throat. Door opened, friend shoved the guy out and the other three meekly left by another door. Wallet was still attached to his belt. The locals in the train did and said nothing.

Seen a pick pocket get accused on the subway in Rome. After arguing with her accuser the metro police came and tried to take her off the train. She resisted quite fiercely until the cop gave up! Probably the oddest resisting arrest I've witnessed. In the US that person would have been tased and pepper sprayed lol.
Or in Seattle, likely shot dead.

Back
Top Bottom