Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I was wondering about some sort of home monitoring system for our travel, too, but the weak link is having to pull the plug on our DSL modem every few weeks.
As we wander ever-further off topic, this reminded me of the fancy IP (Internet Protocol) power switches our IS folks added to some systems.

It turns out that for about $100 US, you can get an IP power switch that can monitor internet connectivity (ping your ISP periodically, for example) and program it to cycle power on devices connected to it when it sees a problem. Some of the vendors specifically mention DSL modems...

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If your home's DSL/cable modem locks up, how do you reset it?
Oh! I have never had that happen but power failures were a problem. My initial respnse was to call my son -- who at that time (pre-security system) checked every day or so -- to go over and turn the computer back on. Once the computer had booted up, I was able to log in remotely with LogMeIn and reset everything. Since then, however, I have replaced the battery backup with one that shuts down the computer properly before the battery is drained and then restarts the computer upon the return of exterior power -- one of the higher-end models found at Small/Medium Business Applications with "cold start" capabilities. And, of course, I still have my "back up" -- calling the son or grandson.

I believe that covers most of the bases. However, anything can (and probably will) happen so who knows what I've missed.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote