Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #21
22' is nice and small and should be quite easy to drive.

For trip planning, I generally attack it this way:
- figure out which stops have fixed dates (if any), including departure and return dates
- decide how many miles maximum to drive per day
- pick intermediate stops based on the two items above
- I generally try to have at least one 2-3 night stop each week as it gets old for us to be moving along every day (when I unhook electric and water just to sightsee during the day, we just leave the cords/hoses attached at the campsite and have never had a problem)
- Generally unless you are in a destination (like Yellowstone) or resort area, you don't need campground reservations Sunday-Thursday (unless it's a holiday).
- We like state parks and US government (national forest, corps of engineers, etc.) parks best. YMMV
- and its associated app have details on US gov't campgrounds. For state parks, you need to go state by state.
- Woodalls app and website has just about every campground in the USA, although it focuses on commercial properties.
- In a pinch, most Wal-Marts will allow you to park for the night. There are websites that tells which ones do not (No Overnight Parking at Walmart | Walmart Locator is one). I usually go in, ask at customer service if it's OK to park and if they want us to park in a specific location, and then buy something.

Have a wonderful trip!

"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MBAustin great plan thank you.

I just did our first rental. I used most units seem to cost about the same in this area. Two things I learned places like CruiseAmerica give 0 miles this fellow gave the first 150 per day free. The unit I got was a 2015 with 2500 miles on it. Looking around his lot all appear very new. Very nice unit, folks I know who used CruiseAmerica said the vehicle was nasty. Watch for crazy drivers that cut you off and have fun!

MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
We have found RV Parks Review a great resource for vetting campgrounds. ( We often check out options for next day in campground and pick a couple of possibles and call to confirm availability about Noon when we know exactly where we are stopping. Keep in mind, that many parks, their offices may close by 6 and then you are left guessing about restroom codes (most campgrounds have coded locks for toliets and laundries) and wifi. In the Summer and especially holidays, the best campgrounds will book out well below the weekend.
Enjoy your journey!
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets
We bought the All Stays Camp & RV app for our iPad / iPhone. It proved quite useful in finding camping spots on a map based on where we wanted to stop, and then linking out to reviews, which were mostly on RV Park Reviews and Trip Advisor. The All Stays website is free, btw, so that may prove useful as well.

Best of luck for a great trip! We started with a rental and now we're totally hooked on camping in our Airstream trailer.
Silvery Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Congrats on the new motorhome, should be a lot of fun.

Sister site to this one, iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News, or click on the "Go RVing" tab on right side of page. Look in there for lots of good ideas on places to stay, see, activities, roads to take or avoid, hints on the new RV, and almost anything else related.
I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm too late to this thread, but my experience with a Cruise America "Factory Delivery" special last year was fantastic. Super cheap. $19/day with 200 miles/day @ no charge, and no one-way drop fee. I had the thing for a month (so up to 6K miles were free), mid-April to mid-May. Picked it up at O'Hare (which may have worked for the OP, since they're in Illinois) and in my case the drop off was Missoula, MT. There were different daily prices depending on endpoint, $19-$69 as I recall.
No worries about previous slovenly renters, or a battered vehicle, since the thing is brand new.
I would certainly do it again, at that price, although I'm moving out of the area so O'Hare pickup (their biggest rental center for such specials) is no longer convenient.
Being just one guy and a dog, I can't see renting one at "normal" prices or buying one really making economic cents.
As far as trip planning, I had seen a 2-2-2 rule of thumb on a forum... AFTER I got back. Drive 200 miles max per day, arrive to where you will camp/park before 2PM, stay 2 nights minimum. That might be a little conservative, but I can see where they are coming from. You can stretch the boundaries, but if you are driving every day, getting in late every day, and only staying that night, you're likely not going to enjoy the journey. It will be that four letter word we retired from... WORK.
DUFUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by DUFUS View Post
As far as trip planning, I had seen a 2-2-2 rule of thumb on a forum... AFTER I got back. Drive 200 miles max per day, arrive to where you will camp/park before 2PM, stay 2 nights minimum.
That, or a variation of it, is a good rule of thumb. We have a goal to not drive more than 300 miles a day and to not have back-to-back one night stays.

As you say, driving farther and staying shorter time periods takes the fun out of RVing.
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
I have never rented a RV but always see a ton of Cruise America RVs on the Cabrillo Highway. I have no idea if that rental company is any good, but it seems to be popular!

I once entertained the dream of a class B RV, but we decided to go ultralight and we now camp out of a Miata.

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote