Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Next you'll be saying something like "that band starts too late for me to go hear them, and, and, it is SO LOUD"... see, slippery slope...

And REW, I feel sure that you can conjure up some misery EVEN WITHOUT company.

Last night! Two unannounced lead acts... Plus, SRO, so no La-Z-Boy section.

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
People use an RV for many different reasons. Quite a few just want to get out of town, to be a bit closer to nature. Many often just go to a campground a couple of hours from home.

I use my RV for cross-country treks. I used to do that with the fly-and-drive method when we were still working. But now, I can be out for a month or two. Living out of a suitcase inside motel rooms gets old quick, and there's no way we can do that for 2 months. With an RV that we can bring all kinds for "stuff" for comfort, it feels close enough to home that a long trek does not feel too bad. And an RV allows us to take the backroad, and not having to worry about staying in scary motels.

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #23
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Last night! Two unannounced lead acts... Plus, SRO, so no La-Z-Boy section.

Last time I went to a show, on a Monday night, I was the oldest person there by 20 years, I swear. But I made it til at least 11:00!!
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
$2300 does seem high for a short rental. Add in the nightly CG fees and like NW-Bound said, you could stay in some pretty nice hotels each night.

I considered renting but ended up buying a small travel trailer a couple of months ago for $11K brand new. Queen size walk around bed, full bath, etc..etc.

Of course, my Jeep did a lousy job of towing it so a few weeks later I bought a diesel pickup. Always wanted a pickup. And I'm getting 18-19mpg while towing.

We do only state and federal (Corp of Engineer) parks. So far, all of them have been waterfront spots. They've been excellent and only $20-$24 a night.

As we get better at this we'll start to do a week or two at a time and farther away. In a couple of years I'll be able to sell this travel trailer for about $9K and should be ahead.

Point is, maybe you could look at buying a used one with the plan of using it a few times and then selling it? Could probably get a year's use out of it for close to what they want to rent one for 10 days.

ER'd 6/1/2014 @ age 53. AA=70/30, WR=3%
Looking4Ward is offline   Reply With Quote