Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
After cutting our teeth on a Class B, then a trailer, we bought the motorhome in 2009, loved it.
Rich, is this the one you bought up here in Dayton? I think of you every time I pass by the place.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Rich, is this the one you bought up here in Dayton? I think of you every time I pass by the place.
Yep, Ray Lewis RV. Glad the place is still standing!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #43

Rich - sorry to hear that you're on an RV timeout. I know what everyone is going through - just not being able to perform the physical tasks that unfortunately are part of the things we love to do. I find myself falling out of my boat more and more as I get older.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
"Family health problems...."

Not sure I like the sound of that.
I see Freebird is planning to sell her boat.
No doubt about it, we're all getting older!
I hope all is well with you and DW.

It is not an easy decision to give up something you enjoy. I am sure that you thought it all out and came up with the decision that is right for you. Our "toys" require a lot of time and effort.

When the effort exceeds the fun part...and the cost exceeds the usage...well, you know the rest of that sentence.

Never say never.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Remember that you can always buy again.......deals come around every day
Old 06-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about all of this, Rich. The good news is that we know you'll have no trouble figuring out what to do all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. Maneuvering around on the roof is tough - especially while using my walker...
I know exactly how you feel...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geezer longboard air.jpg (401.1 KB, 11 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I am late to this thread as I have been traveling but sorry about the RV . We went to Alaska in May and it was spectacular .It was all about the scenery . The only regret I had was that we did not go for two weeks instead of ten days .Be sure to check out The Red Dog Saloon in Juneau .
Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I am in the learning part of RV shopping. By accidrent I discovered that many motor homes cannot cross the border into Canada because they don't meet their safety regulations (DH has always wanted to drive the AlCan Hgy). Who would have known!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I am in the learning part of RV shopping. By accidrent I discovered that many motor homes cannot cross the border into Canada because they don't meet their safety regulations (DH has always wanted to drive the AlCan Hgy). Who would have known!
That's interesting Brat. Last October DW and I cut across a little chunk of Canada on our return from a leaf peeping trip to Pa, NY, Vt and NH and nothing was mentioned at the border crossing. We were pulling a trailor, not driving a motor home. Maybe that makes a difference.

Or maybe the border guard knew that our brand wasn't on the no-go list?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have heard that certain motor home dealers in Canada were spreading misinformation about special requirements to discourage Canadians from buying motor homes in the US and importing them to Canada.

I'm not aware of any such restrictions, but I've never actually researched it. I've read a lot of RV forums and never heard of anyone being turned away at the border for this reason. Can you provide details on the safety regulations creating the problem?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have heard that certain motor home dealers in Canada were spreading misinformation about special requirements to discourage Canadians from buying motor homes in the US and importing them to Canada.

I'm not aware of any such restrictions, but I've never actually researched it. I've read a lot of RV forums and never heard of anyone being turned away at the border for this reason. Can you provide details on the safety regulations creating the problem?
That is what I have heard also - Canadians can come down to the US and buy an RV and import it back without meeting the same regulations a dealer would have to.

That is separate from the rules and regulations that each Province applies in terms of lights, seat belts, RV length etc. Everyone (Canadian or American) must comply with those rules when crossing Provincial borders. RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations

DD
Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Here is what I found: Section 5.1 - MOTORHOMES CLASS A AND C

and

Section 5.2 - MOTORHOME - CLASS B

They may be talking about vehicles imported for sale but since they are concerned about safety I don't know why there would be a difference between transit vehicles and vehicles offered for sale. BTW there is one Canadian motor home manufacturer not on the list, evidently because they didn't submit paperwork and the firm has since gone bankrupt.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I doubt that you are correct here (although you may be). AFAIK all US registered vehicles are welcome in Canada even though they do not meet Canadian standards (think Canadian vehicles require daytime headlights, your's don't but we let them in anyway).

Can you give a concrete example of a year/make/model of any vehicle that was not allowed across the border?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

They may be talking about vehicles imported for sale...
Yes, both charts you linked say "Vehicle importation from the United States".

As kumquat says, I don't know of any problems with traveling in Canada in a US manufactured RV as it appears thousands of RV's do so every year.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Well, that is one concern I can cross off my list.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Rich - sorry to hear that you're on an RV timeout. I know what everyone is going through - just not being able to perform the physical tasks that unfortunately are part of the things we love to do. I find myself falling out of my boat more and more as I get older.
Then you need...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shirt.jpg (13.9 KB, 8 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to see you hanging up your spurs, Rich. I surely hope that in the future, if you like to travel this way again, you will find a way to do it.