Join Early Retirement Today

RV Sold
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

RV Sold

To my great disappointment, we sold our 36 foot 2009 Wiinnebago Itaska motorhome yesterday. Family health problems progressively limited our ability to use and maintain it and made the fixed ownership costs hard to justify.

After cutting our teeth on a Class B, then a trailer, we bought the motorhome in 2009, loved it. RVing can be a great recreational lifestyle or alternate "home" and we have no regrets. There is a small possibility we will dive back in in the future but for now it's over. I'll enjoy RVing vicariously through posts here and on the RV boards.

As you might imagine this is not a good time to sell. We took a 40% hit on a 2 year old unit (most of which occurred the day we drove it out of the dealer's lot), though the original purchase price was quite low, too. But hanging on to it with infrequent and limited usage while still paying for storage, insurance, maintenance, and depreciation won out over our pride.

I'll be selling off some towing gear and other odds and ends when I get around to it. We're consoling ourselves (along with DW's 60th, our 40th anniversary year, and my retirement) by taking an Alaskan cruise in August.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

The Two Happiest Days of Your Life.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Two Happiest Days of Your Life.

The two happiest days of your life are...

The day you buy your big boat.

And the day you sell it.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rich, say it ain't so!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Family health problems...."

Not sure I like the sound of that.
I see Freebird is planning to sell her boat.
No doubt about it, we're all getting older!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
"Family health problems...."
It's OK, nothing life-threatening.

RVing entails a number of strenuous or at least awkward chores (sometimes unexpected, like a branch snagged on the roof antenna), prolonged driving despite plans not to do that, being hours from decent medical care, crawling on the ground to solve a mystery noise, etc.

Prudent judgment in our case leans toward putting that kind of stuff on hold, at least for a while.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
... crawling on the ground to solve a mystery noise...
Heh, if you follow your pre-departure checklist and close the black water dump valve, the cops won't pull you over and make you crawl underneath to locate the source of that "mystery noise". ("Honey, why are all those people passing us pointing, honking and giving us dirty looks?").

Or so I've heard...
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ugh! That is so disappointing, Rich!
Man, stuff like this is why I want to take my retirement like Travis McGee some days.

I am so very sorry to hear that y'all have got some health problems.
At least you can still travel by car to see us again, maybe?

And I do agree--the toll that our 1976 motorhome and our 1976 trawler take on both DH and I are pretty extreme, ask me about sanding and varnishing this past weekend! It would be a lot harder to imagine doing that stuff at your age!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
It would be a lot harder to imagine doing that stuff at your age!
Yep. Maneuvering around on the roof is tough - especially while using my walker...
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. Maneuvering around on the roof is tough - especially while using my walker...
Do the orderlies know you are out of bed again?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

They just don't make straitjackets like they used to, I guess...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
They just don't make straitjackets like they used to, I guess...
Nope. Mine has finger holes so I can post...
Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Oof. So sorry to hear that you couldn't make good use of your RV any more, Rich. I know you loved it.

I am thinking that probably the great joy and satisfaction you got from it as a brand new RV owner, may at least partially compensate for the lower price you got upon selling it.

As you point out, this doesn't mean that you can't travel by other means and continue to enjoy retirement in all possible ways.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And I do agree--the toll that our 1976 motorhome and our 1976 trawler take on both DH and I are pretty extreme, ask me about sanding and varnishing this past weekend! It would be a lot harder to imagine doing that stuff at your age!

The old Class B that you saw when we visited might start looking good again in a year or two. Ya never know...

Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Well, Are you going to put temp and pressure sensors on your car wheels to keep track of heating problems. Gotta do something to for amusement.

Hope the family health issues are fixable repairable. There is a difference!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oof. So sorry to hear that you couldn't make good use of your RV any more, Rich. I know you loved it.

I am thinking that probably the great joy and satisfaction you got from it as a brand new RV owner, may at least partially compensate for the lower price you got upon selling it.

As you point out, this doesn't mean that you can't travel by other means and continue to enjoy retirement in all possible ways.
Yep, plenty of other things to enjoy.

I think that FIRE lifestyle choices are best treated like asset allocation -- don't put all your eggs in one basket. I have a golf friend who breathed golf from wake-up to bedtime. He suddenly slipped a disk in his neck and can't ever play again. Unfortunately he had trouble discovering other things to enjoy. Shouldn't be a problem for us.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yep, plenty of other things to enjoy.

I think that FIRE lifestyle choices are best treated like asset allocation -- don't put all your eggs in one basket.
To quote Unclemick on the theory of successful retirement, you need to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Agile, mobile and hostile.
heh heh heh...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #17

Rich, sorry to hear about the health problem and deciding to sell your motor home. Always wanted a class A but never got around to it. When I first retired, had a chance to buy a 35 ft. Avion travel trailer. Had the big Chevy Suburban. Did that three years and cashed it in for a condo in Ft. Myers. Loved ever minute of the RV life but times changed for us also. Glad I did that when I was in my 50's. Couldn't do that today as it's a lot of work also. Best wishes on a speedy solution to the health problems. Never know, you might get back into it some day.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #18

Sorry to read this. Take care, Rich.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We sold our camper trailer when our children reached their teen years and became so ornery that I was afraid someone was going to get hurt and it might have been me.

We basically quit travelling until we could travel without them. Now, DW and I take extended car trips. We look at motor homes, but the prices are mind boggling. Also, once you have the thing, you have another ongoing maintenance issue and we already have plenty of those.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #20

DH and I enjoyed tent camping in our 20s...
camping in a Coleman pop-up trailer in our 30s...
renting a Mini-Winnie for the occasional long weekend in our 40s...
and now in our 50s, as one of our traveling friends puts it....
Nothing beats an uneventful flight, a rental car upgrade, and a confirmed reservation at a Hyatt near a great restaurant!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote