Join Early Retirement Today

Safest way to carry cash...
Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Safest way to carry cash...

we are going to Greece in September. I am bring more euros than customary due to my fears concerning getting cash when needed. Does anyone have any recommendations for wallet bands around the waist or neck to carry cash in? Or any other tried and true way?
Greathusky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought a pair of pants from clothingarts.com. They advertise as being pickpocket proof. I'm sure there is at least one person for which this hasn't been the case. However, they fit well; were comfortable in Bangkok's heat and humidity; and had pockets with zippers and button flaps. The pockets are hard enough to get into that you have to wear them a couple of days to get used to it yourself. I felt pretty comfortable with my money in situations where pickpockets were a good possibility like crowded tourist destinations and mass transit.

In your case, I wouldn't put your whole stash in the pockets but they could serve as part of the solution.

There is also a line of travel products called Pacsafe you might want to look at. I have one of their mesh bags I used to store my computer in hotel rooms that don't have a closet safe. I think they have products to help protect cash as well.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you wear long pants and not shorts try an ankle wallet, very secure and comfortable to wear, my DH swears by them, his brand is a bagmaster.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #4

I'm sure Greece is hot & dry while Bangkok was hot & humid but I found that I was just as comfortable in long pants as I was wearing shorts as long as you avoid heavy fabrics like blue jeans.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If you were going to Texas, I'd say just consider getting a CHL, and carry.

In Greece I don't know the laws but I sure would be concerned with carrying a lot of cash, particularly these days. Regardless, if I were going to carry a lot of cash I think I'd split up my money. (Wallet, front pocket, money belt, socks, sew a pocket inside my pants, hide some in a walking cane (might make a good defensive club too), etc. I'd keep a good chuck of cash in my wallet so if I was robbed that may satisfy the robber that's my only cash. Then again, they may want everything I have on and/or carrying.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

We bought a money belt on Rick Steves' web sight. 14.99. Works well. They have other money holders too.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

When I travel, I carry my money in two places.

I keep my passport, ATM and one credit card and most of my cash in a money belt. I keep enough money for one day and 1 credit card in a little travel wallet zipped in my pants pocket. If I need more money in my wallet, I can get into my money belt while in the toilet stall, so out of sight. The only thing other people see is my daily wallet, and if someone grabbed it I would only lose part of my money and cards.

I think whatever would feel more comfortable for you is what you should carry. As a woman, the neck vault is less comfortable for me than the waist money belt. The ankle wallet sounds interesting, assuming it wouldn't slip down.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would pay close attention to the news between now and then. Judging by the sound of it, you will be able to access cash and use credit cards in Greece pretty easily. That said, do you really want to go there right now?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I just want to echo the others who said split it up. At the very least have a money belt with the majority of your stash then have the rest in your wallet in your front pocket-never your back pocket. Preferably, have a second or even third stash. They make pouches that go around your neck(under your shirt), as well as around your ankle or thigh.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #10

If you put it in a hotel safe, make sure that the default combination has been changed.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #11

I agree with keeping money in a couple places and using money belts. We have some that are waterproof so you can swim with them too... or if you get caught in the rain. We usually ware them so the upper part is belt level and is under the shorts/trousers.... thus somewhat protected or inconvenient for a pick pocket.

The waterproof ones are more time consuming to get into (not just 1 zipper to open/close).

good luck
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Like others, I split mine up, especially between traveling companions. It is funny to me that women are usually not thought to be carrying money if they are with a guy. That saved some folks we met in Jamaica when only the guy got robbed.
We use a regular money belt for DH to carry emergency cash, one of the under your clothes type for me to carry passports and most credit cards, and my favorite, a travel vest with a million inside pockets for most of our traveling money. Yes, the best is a little dorky, but so nice to travel without a handbag to keep up with! Get a size bigger if you want one, they need to be able to fit over your clothes when loaded down.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

I love the hotel safes. Especially the ones that hold my laptop computer. While in Bangkok my friend who has visited there many times and now lives there, recommended that I leave my passport in the safe and carry a photocopy of my passport with me which I did. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but it did relieve me of the anxiety of losing my passport.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I like this Eagle Creek money holder with loops that your belt fits through. This way you don't have to dig down into your pants, or do some embarrassing maneuver to get to your money.

RFID Blocker Hidden Pocket - Money Belts & Neck Wallets | Eagle Creek

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Like others, I split mine up, especially between traveling companions. It is funny to me that women are usually not thought to be carrying money if they are with a guy. That saved some folks we met in Jamaica when only the guy got robbed.
We use a regular money belt for DH to carry emergency cash, one of the under your clothes type for me to carry passports and most credit cards, and my favorite, a travel vest with a million inside pockets for most of our traveling money. Yes, the best is a little dorky, but so nice to travel without a handbag to keep up with! Get a size bigger if you want one, they need to be able to fit over your clothes when loaded down.
DW loves her vest too. She can easily carry more than me.

I used a pouch under my shirt when we visited Greece and elsewhere in May. I think it was totally obvious under my usual light dress shirt, kind of sweaty, and awkward to access if I didn't slip into a restroom. The ankle wallet sounds good to me. I'll have to look at them. On the other hand, I didn't lose anything, so it worked.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a neck wallet for $ and cards. I also use a front pocket "daily" wallet with a large rubber band around it. More to let me know if i am being fondled. Stay aware of diversions from children or unusual friendliness. Had no problems in athens or istanbul last summer.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

How about American Express Traveler Cheques? You can get them in euros and they are safe and "may be refunded if lost or stolen". You can keep some on your person and some in your hotel safe or hotel room.

I assume that any bank and many merchants would honor them or most hotels will cash them for guests. I admit, I haven't used them for decades, but Greece may be a special situation where they are worth the cost.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...s-cheques.html

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops! I left out my deep cover money belt from moonshineleather.com. I use that for traveling between hotels and safes. Good company, bit pricey but solid quality. I use my other mentioned item when out on the town. Hope this helps.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

I highly recommend sewing in a hidden pocket into your pants or shorts. The pockets are more comfortable than wearing something around your waist or your neck. Just do a google search for "Amazon hidden pockets".
spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have a silk under the pants one - very comfy, but I forget who makes it.