Safety of Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of the 1970s and 1980s, when anyone from the mainland of the UK who went to Belfast on business was told they were crazy.

It turns out that from 1969 to 1997, the entire period of "The Troubles", the homicide rate (per 100,000 people) of Northern Ireland was less than that of the United States, every single year. That's the entire United States, not just South Central.

This reminds me of the 1970s and 1980s, when anyone from the mainland of the UK who went to Belfast on business was told they were crazy.

It turns out that from 1969 to 1997, the entire period of "The Troubles", the homicide rate (per 100,000 people) of Northern Ireland was less than that of the United States, every single year. That's the entire United States, not just South Central.
So, are you really ready to drive from South Texas to Monterrey, MX on business today? Few locals around here cross the border any more. Are we crazy?

Audrey

I'm flying to Mexico City next week on business. We'll be driving about two hours out of the city for a technical meeting in an industrial plant. One night in a local hotel, second night at a hotel near the Mexico City Airport before flying home.

No big security concerns, but I will be well-armed with Immodium. :D

Stay in or close to the tourist towns, away from the border towns where the gangs are and you will be fine. Love Mexico, love the people.

Apparently the Canadian government are considering delegating the operation of the border to Homeland security to speed the flow of border traffic.

I suspect with the Mexican border it is the risk of payola.

*BTW we get regular reports from snowbirds crossing the borders. It is a hot topic. Also the customs seems to be applied unevenly depending on the guard. The borders are more consistent than the airports.

kcowan, are you saying that many snowbirds drive down there, rather than fly?
We don't because we have a car down here but many do so they can use their car for 4-5 months. They always post to see if things have changed on their route down. There does not seem to be any route that is worse than any other. Juarez seems to be slightly worse in activity but there have been no incidents (so far).

There was an incident outside of Tepic (near the federal prison) where banditos put up a road block and hassled tourists. It was after midnight. Ergo everyone says to travel during the day. And cross the border early in the day like between 7 and 10 am. Most advice is to use common sense and avoid lonely stretches of road at night.

Of course, most snowbirds avoid travelling at night even driving to Florida. Night vision is the second thing to go!

The real shame of it all is that these border towns like El Paso used to be wonderful tourist areas. Now people drive through them as quickly as possible.

(And then there was the explosion in Cancun that killed 5 Canadians and 2 Mexicans. It was some kind of gas leak in a fairly new resort. Tragic!)

Here is an article in the SA paper on that same subject: Violence tears 'sister cities' apart - San Antonio Express-News
I think this quote sums up the ambivalence:
“It’s more or less the last frontier. I don’t know if it’s worth dying for, but I love it.”
Here is a guy who goes there every year and has never had a problem but even he reacts to all the negative stories. I think that really sums up the situation. Those that go to Mexico have no problems other than explaining themselves to their neighbours up north.

I have good friends in Newport Beach and every year they ask whether it is safe before they come down for their 2 weeks in the sun. And every year I tell them not to drink the Koolaid...

I am in San Juan Del Rio (a couple of hours north of Mexico City) tonight, haven't felt the least bit unsafe since I arrived in Mexico a couple of days ago. I am sure there are pockets of violence here, but you can expect that in about every major city around the world, including the US. I've been traveling here on business for over 20 years; while standards of living have vastly improved, the Mexican people are very much aware of the security risks posed by the narcotraficantes, especially in the Northern border states. They are also genuinely concerned about how their image on the international stage has been tarnished by the recent escalation in violence, police corruption, etc and how that will affect future development; they know they still have a long way to go.

You all have your rose colored glasses on.

3 miles from New Mexico, 30 miles from Old Mexico.

Here is an article in the SA paper on that same subject: Violence tears 'sister cities' apart - San Antonio Express-News
San Antonio Express News has been writing some really informative in-depth articles on the border/Northern Mexico situation. I've run across several of their articles when doing web searches on the situation, and their articles seem to provide a lot more detail and background than my local sources. I've been very impressed.

Audrey

Eight of the top 12 dealers in Mexican crime guns are nestled profitably near the border, according to The Washington Post, which spent a year penetrating some of the data secrecy that Congress has enacted to protect the gun industry.
They've recently been doing some local TV stories on how many of the guns are coming from local businesses, including the local store of a major national sporting goods chain. I didn't quite catch all the details, but yes - it looks like there are some major loopholes for tracking these high-powered guns versus handguns.

And now one of the local county's sheriff department is loading up on assault rifles for themselves.

Audrey

... and all of this caused by the U.S. demand for drugs. What with our critical financial situation, the utterly failed "war on drugs", the majority of U.S. crime fueled by drugs and the corrupted/struggling governments of our neighbors south to Columbia that will likely require more U.S. attention and ll with no winning U.S. strategy - maybe we should consider another course of action? Legalize/regulate/tax the product & care for addicts so they don't rob folks to fund the crime syndicates? I'm no expert... but come on!

... and all of this caused by the U.S. demand for drugs. What with our critical financial situation, the utterly failed "war on drugs", the majority of U.S. crime fueled by drugs and the corrupted/struggling governments of our neighbors south to Columbia that will likely require more U.S. attention and ll with no winning U.S. strategy - maybe we should consider another course of action? Legalize/regulate/tax the product & care for addicts so they don't rob folks to fund the crime syndicates? I'm no expert... but come on!
Makes way too much sense, therefore it can't happen.:(

Ha

... and all of this caused by the U.S. demand for drugs. What with our critical financial situation, the utterly failed "war on drugs", the majority of U.S. crime fueled by drugs and the corrupted/struggling governments of our neighbors south to Columbia that will likely require more U.S. attention and ll with no winning U.S. strategy - maybe we should consider another course of action?

Paraquat.:whistle:

Paraquat.:whistle:
That would not exactly be a new course of action. Also, it would just raise the price and shift production into areas where it may be harder for us to throw our weight around.

End result might be much more crime and corruption.

Ha

A simpler solution would be to give the drug addicts a stipend and send them to Mexico and legalize METH, Heroin LSD, Barbiturates, Amphetamines, Ecstasy, Cocaine, crack, PCP and any other drug that is developed in Mexico - bring the demand closer to the supply. This reduces everyone's cost from the addict to the governments'.

The utterly failed concept of curing drug addiction needs to be relegated to the dust bin of history. Send the addicts to Mexico and give them what they want.

Health care is less expensive there also.

I think the advertising industry will be able to come up with some good campaigns to encourage people to go.

The utterly failed concept of curing drug addiction needs to be relegated to the dust bin of history. Send the addicts to Mexico and give them what they want.

We could arrange a 1 for 1 swap, for every addict we send to Mexico, an illegal alien in this country that is a clean hard worker gets citizenship. That's amnesty I could rally behind. :LOL:

We could arrange a 1 for 1 swap, for every addict we send to Mexico, an illegal alien in this country that is a clean hard worker gets citizenship. That's amnesty I could rally behind. :LOL:

Best idea yet. But let us secure the border first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom