Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here is an article in the SA paper on that same subject: Violence tears 'sister cities' apart - San Antonio Express-News
San Antonio Express News has been writing some really informative in-depth articles on the border/Northern Mexico situation. I've run across several of their articles when doing web searches on the situation, and their articles seem to provide a lot more detail and background than my local sources. I've been very impressed.

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Quote:
Eight of the top 12 dealers in Mexican crime guns are nestled profitably near the border, according to The Washington Post, which spent a year penetrating some of the data secrecy that Congress has enacted to protect the gun industry.
They've recently been doing some local TV stories on how many of the guns are coming from local businesses, including the local store of a major national sporting goods chain. I didn't quite catch all the details, but yes - it looks like there are some major loopholes for tracking these high-powered guns versus handguns.

And now one of the local county's sheriff department is loading up on assault rifles for themselves.

Audrey
Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

... and all of this caused by the U.S. demand for drugs. What with our critical financial situation, the utterly failed "war on drugs", the majority of U.S. crime fueled by drugs and the corrupted/struggling governments of our neighbors south to Columbia that will likely require more U.S. attention and ll with no winning U.S. strategy - maybe we should consider another course of action? Legalize/regulate/tax the product & care for addicts so they don't rob folks to fund the crime syndicates? I'm no expert... but come on!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranoel View Post
... and all of this caused by the U.S. demand for drugs. What with our critical financial situation, the utterly failed "war on drugs", the majority of U.S. crime fueled by drugs and the corrupted/struggling governments of our neighbors south to Columbia that will likely require more U.S. attention and ll with no winning U.S. strategy - maybe we should consider another course of action? Legalize/regulate/tax the product & care for addicts so they don't rob folks to fund the crime syndicates? I'm no expert... but come on!
Makes way too much sense, therefore it can't happen.

Ha
Old 12-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
... and all of this caused by the U.S. demand for drugs. What with our critical financial situation, the utterly failed "war on drugs", the majority of U.S. crime fueled by drugs and the corrupted/struggling governments of our neighbors south to Columbia that will likely require more U.S. attention and ll with no winning U.S. strategy - maybe we should consider another course of action?
Paraquat.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Paraquat.
That would not exactly be a new course of action. Also, it would just raise the price and shift production into areas where it may be harder for us to throw our weight around.

End result might be much more crime and corruption.

Ha
Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A simpler solution would be to give the drug addicts a stipend and send them to Mexico and legalize METH, Heroin LSD, Barbiturates, Amphetamines, Ecstasy, Cocaine, crack, PCP and any other drug that is developed in Mexico - bring the demand closer to the supply. This reduces everyone's cost from the addict to the governments'.

The utterly failed concept of curing drug addiction needs to be relegated to the dust bin of history. Send the addicts to Mexico and give them what they want.

Health care is less expensive there also.

I think the advertising industry will be able to come up with some good campaigns to encourage people to go.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

The utterly failed concept of curing drug addiction needs to be relegated to the dust bin of history. Send the addicts to Mexico and give them what they want.
We could arrange a 1 for 1 swap, for every addict we send to Mexico, an illegal alien in this country that is a clean hard worker gets citizenship. That's amnesty I could rally behind.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
We could arrange a 1 for 1 swap, for every addict we send to Mexico, an illegal alien in this country that is a clean hard worker gets citizenship. That's amnesty I could rally behind.
Best idea yet. But let us secure the border first.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Best idea yet. But let us secure the border first.
...to keep all those deported druggies from sneaking back in and taking the jobs of the hardworking illegals we traded for.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...to keep all those deported druggies from sneaking back in and taking the jobs of the hardworking illegals we traded for.
The prospect of spending (a short) life in some Mexican prison might just cure a lot of addicts.

Ha
Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Try to convince anyone to live in Juarez? The drugs are enroute from Colombia and need to be snared just before they get to the US. They are not as readily available throughout the country as they are in the US.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Prostitution and burglary appears to be the "job" of chose by hard core druggies. Druggies are adverse to hard work.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Prostitution and burglary appears to be the "job" of chose by hard core druggies. Druggies are adverse to hard work.
I guess that's why I worked all those long days for all those years so I could retire early. Lazy worthless bastid. Sort of like all those holier than thou types who are averse to independent thought.

Look, even Pat Robertson gets it.

Pat Robertson Wants to Decriminalize Pot - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
Old 12-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #55

Here's a recent NYT article on the safety of visiting Mexico.

The Mexico Quandary - Safety or Savings? - NYTimes.com
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just returned from another wonderful trip to Cozumel. Had several days of great diving and evenings of wonderful restaurants and delicious food. Can't wait to go back in March.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
159 convicts escape Mexican prison on U.S. border
Meh. Just think how many unconvicted criminals are there running around in that area already. 159 more won't make a lot of difference. Most of these guys will just be getting drunk and hooking up with their girlfriends for a few weeks.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Just returned from another wonderful trip to Cozumel. Had several days of great diving and evenings of wonderful restaurants and delicious food. Can't wait to go back in March.
I would love to hear more about your most recent trip since I am considering an extended stay on the island early in the new year. I am hoping to head down late in January and stay through most of February if I can find a cheap rental, schedule w*r& travel accordingly, etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I would love to hear more about your most recent trip since I am considering an extended stay on the island early in the new year. I am hoping to head down late in January and stay through most of February if I can find a cheap rental, schedule w*r& travel accordingly, etc.
Our family bought a condo there May 1st this year after falling in love with the place over the past 4 1/2 years after taking up scuba diving. We had traveled all over the Caribbean and found the people of Cozumel to be the nicest by far of anywhere we've traveled. Cozumel is also a great value with many great low cost lodging options and good, inexpensive restaurants.

Almost all lodging is along the west coast of the island in three separate areas: in town - San Miguel, north of town or south of town. North of town has many condos and several large hotel/resorts. Within walking distance to town but on the far end of walking distance. South of town can be several miles and a $20 one way taxi trip away. Our condo is on the southern edge of town and we can walk to the central plaza in 10 minutes at a leisurely pace. We chose this area because we did not want to have a car and wanted a variety of entertainment and services within an easy walk. We walk all over town until 10-11 pm and have never had the slightest issue.

We dive everyday and the boat picks us up at the pier around 8 am and we get back around 1:30 pm after two tanks. Usually eat some lunch and then spend the afternoon at the pool or exploring town prior to dinner. Go to different restaurants around town for dinner and that back home to relax. Also, we sometimes take the ferry to Playa del Carmen for excursions on the mainland. Costs about $12 pp one way and takes 30-40 for the 12 mile crossing.

Tourism is way off due to the poor economy combined with the nightly news and newspapers repeatedly blaring how dangerous Mexico is. Not true of Cozumel because the island offers limited access by one ferry pier and one airport. Anyway, you should be able to find a decent place to stay at a reasonable price. My condo is already rented for most of Feb or I'd quote you a price.

I would check with this realty company that offers longer term rentals.

LONGTERMRENTALSHP

Luxury condos for sale, commercial properties for lease in Cozumel * Cozumel Capital* luxury residential homes

You can fly direct into Cozumel or sometimes save $200+ by flying into Cancun instead. Adds 3-4 hours travel time and can include nice bus ride, ferry and taxi. Probably costs around $50 pp round trip so be sure to deduct that cost from potential airfare savings.

Also, you can browse the discussion forum here for rentals or post a request describing the ideal rental situation you are looking for.

Cozumel My Cozumel Discussion Forums -> Cozumel Accommodations

or

My Cozumel Community - Index

These discussion forums are also offer a wealth of info on all aspects of the island. Let me know if you have any questions but be advised I'm having surgery tomorrow and probably won't be back online again until Friday or Saturday.

You can often call some of the smaller hotels in town and negotiate a monthly rate. You can try

Welcome to Cozumel, at Suites Bahia in Cozumel México

or

Hotels in Cozumel,Hotel Reservation,hotel booking Cozumel|Vista del Mar

Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm extremely jealous and would love to go back for a month.
more numbers
Old 12-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #60

more numbers

We live full-time at Lake Chapala, and as you might expect the local expat community is keenly interested in crime news local and regional as well as the consistently negative reporting about Mexico we see on U.S. television.

A good friend who lives here shares this information:

According to the US State Dept. website, approximately 1 million Americans live in Mexico. Over 22 million tourists visit Mexico each year. Of those approximately 80% (17.6 million) are Americans, according to a Canadian language school website I visited. Out of all of those many millions, 137 have died and of those 48 were murdered or "executed"? With those odds, I'll take my chances in Mexico over almost any American city of even modest size. No wonder I feel so much safer here than there. Even if you doubled or tripled the reported numbers of murders, I'd still feel safer.

Bottom line, IMHO: stay away from the border towns, don't do anything in Mexico you wouldn't go at home and the chances of anything bad happening here pale vs. where you live back home, in all likelihood.
Closed Thread