Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
With those odds, I'll take my chances in Mexico over almost any American city of even modest size. No wonder I feel so much safer here than there. Even if you doubled or tripled the reported numbers of murders, I'd still feel safer.
It appears you have found somewhere you can feel secure which I agree is a basic necessity for happiness. Financial independence means little if you fear for your life.

I'm hoping I can someday reach the same comfort level here in the US and I am very encouraged when I read things like this: Homicides fall in large American cities

I understand much of the credit for the drop is attributed to city police departments hiring a number of Mexican cops who recently decided to move north and become consultants...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm hoping I can someday reach the same comfort level here in the US and I am very encouraged when I read things like this: Homicides fall in large American cities

I understand much of the credit for the drop is attributed to city police departments hiring a number of Mexican cops who recently decided to move north and become consultants...
This may not be because they are concerned for their safety in Mexico, but rather because they are concerned for the safety of their gringo brothers up here in the still dangerous estados unidos.

Once they have pacified the US, likely they will return to sleepy, peaceful, Old Mexico.

Ha
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

tongue-in-cheek stuff aside, my only reason for posting those numbers is that the media in the U.S. do such an outstanding job of scaring people about Mexico. The dangers here are real, but what's invariably left out it "compared to what," and the U.S. is a pretty darn violent place with (unlike Mexico) very easy access to guns.

There's plenty of property crime in Mexico and the drug wars continue to make their effects felt. What I notice on our visits back to the U.S. is how similar the problems of the two countries are, with high levels of unemployment and obscene wealth inequality driving much of the increase in crime.

It seems to me there are a lot of baby boomers who unlike the savvy folks who post on this board haven't saved much for retirement, can't afford (or don't have) health insurance, have lost the house equity they'd hoped to parlay into a retirement nest egg, etc. for whom Mexico might be a valuable Plan B, as it has for us. I'd hate to think that fear and misinformation would keep them from looking at what could be a very viable option.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Mexico is still on my list for Plan B. My bruddah and I are trying to get our wives to try out Chapala.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #65

Mexico, Cozumel, etc.

BTravlin,
Thanks for your trip report and links. I had missed most of these in my most recent Google search. While I was assuming Cozumel was still safe, it is definitely reassuring to have a recent first hand report.

No, I am not one of those who is generally scared of Mexico; but, there are places (most, but definitely not all, along the US boarder) that I would avoid.
kevink,
I think you are pointing out a basic problem that most people have with math and basic risk assessment. The folks with PhD's in finance among other fields have written a lot on this subject in the past few years. I assume that many of the folks who think Mexico is a dangerous country also think flying is a dangerous form of transportation.
Ed,
Mexico is quickly becoming my Plan A with a few other Central American and Caribbean countries vying for my Plan B.
All,
I am seriously considering snow-birding in Mexico on a FM3 visa for a bit to see if I really like living there. And, Cozumel seems like a good place to ease into this lifestyle. I have been there several times but have not returned for the last few years. So, I have been following the development of this thread with great interest.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I am seriously considering snow-birding in Mexico on a FM3 visa for a bit to see if I really like living there.
Unless you plan on staying more than 6 months, you should get an FMM. It is quick and easy and does not need to be renewed.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #67

A level-headed recent article

Violence impacts Mexico tourism | PRI's The World
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

From "The Adventures of Tioga and George" yesterday:

Quote:
The first time that I crossed the International Border was in 2003. I went into Baja California, Mexico. You are probably guessing that I was plenty concerned. You are right! I had read all that stuff about the dangers in Mexico. The criminals and all. But I re-assured myself with the thought that, if I turned back from Mexico because of being scared, those imaginary bandits would get me every single day of my life! Even though I had not ever met even one of those bandits!

I never did meet a bandit either! Maybe all we need in order to do whatever we want to do, is have a little bit of Courage and a ton of Imagination!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
It's exactly because of the fall off in tourism that real estate prices in Cozumel fell enough such that my wife and I could afford to buy a waterfront property there. We closed on May 1st and my only regret is I may have moved too soon and may have gotten a better deal had I been more patient. My wife says not to worry because we got the place we wanted and that is what is most important, not possibly saving another $10-20k. And she's probably right, who knows what would have happened if we had not acted when we did. Anyway, we have our place in the rental pool and competition for renters there is fierce right now. Even so, it looks like we will break even on a cash flow basis for the first year so that's not too shabby.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well, no doubt George is an expert on the Mexican border. He is certainly an expert on platitudes.

For another outlook: Unrest takes toll on physicians in Mexican border town - USATODAY.com

Of course these doctors were likely just looking for an excuse to ER in Texas.

Ha
Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Even so, it looks like we will break even on a cash flow basis for the first year so that's not too shabby.
Plus you are getting on with your life. We bought in 2007 and had we waited we could have saved $20K, but we have been spending winters here in 2008-2011. There has to be some value in that.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We bought in 2007 and had we waited we could have saved $20K
kcowan, what is that, a 5-10% drop? Have property values really fallen so little in P.V. since 2007? I know the U.S. real-estate crash has spread to some parts of Central America. Sounds like not P.V. though?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
kcowan, what is that, a 5-10% drop? Have property values really fallen so little in P.V. since 2007? I know the U.S. real-estate crash has spread to some parts of Central America. Sounds like not P.V. though?
No you are right. Our place was priced to sell in 2007. The more expensive gringo places have dropped by 30% (e.g. from $585k to $399k for a new 2200 sq.ft. condo).
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The headless bodies of 15 people were found dumped near a shopping center in the tourist city of Acapulco, Mexico, the Guerrero State Public Security office said in a statement Saturday.
15 headless bodies found in Acapulco - CNN.com

Since Acapulco is 600 miles south of the US border, does this indicate the drug wars are spreading?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
15 headless bodies found in Acapulco - CNN.com

Since Acapulco is 600 miles south of the US border, does this indicate the drug wars are spreading?
No, just senseless alarmism. Only fraidy cats would let this deter their fun in the sun.

Ha
Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #76

Neither funny nor well-informed haha. Acapulco is a well-established narco area:

Bodies beheaded in Mexico tourist city | Reuters

Just steer clear of safe spots like Arizona, where they're shooting congresswomen for fun.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll take the sun in Florida, thankyou!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #78
Administrator

Now that we've moved from be-headings in Mexico to shootings in Arizona, this thread has run its course.

Closed Thread