Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Safety of Mexico
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Safety of Mexico

kcowan will like this.

(Some foul language but worth it.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a little hard to watch that when we can hear distant automatic machine gunfire from our back yard and we often see news footage of the ski-masked Mexican Army dealing with the thugs just across the border, and about high-powered guns and grenade launchers being seized. Just because you are an American doesn't mean wouldn't be a target under the right circumstances. And then there are tragic accidents/mistakes.

I'm sure Puerto Vallarta is fine - especially if you fly direct. Fortunately I'd already travelled extensively in Mexico in the early 2000s, and I won't be surprised if we end up traveling to Columbia before going to Mexico again.

Audrey
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's a little hard to watch that when we can hear distant automatic machine gunfire from our back yard and we often see news footage of the ski-masked Mexican Army dealing with the thugs just across the border, and about high-powered guns and grenade launchers being seized. Just because you are an American doesn't mean wouldn't be a target under the right circumstances. And then there are tragic accidents/mistakes.
Yikes. Time to hit the road again?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My MegaCorp has a plant in Mexico City. The Plant Manager's monthly report gives updates on organized crime activities every month. His Supply Chain Leader had his car stolen at gunpoint a few months ago in broad daylight (late afternoon), while he was sitting at a stoplight on his way home after work. No thanks...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yikes. Time to hit the road again?
No. We are out of range and there is no bridge nearby, thank goodness. But it is sobering, and a constant reminder of life's vulnerabilities.

There is a huge influx of winter texans to the Rio Grande Valley - something like 150,000 - and the Northern Mexico violence has not impacted that, although it has completely shut down US tourist excursions across the border.

Audrey
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

What a darn shame...Mexico and it's people are such a great experience.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yea I think Calderon should shut down his war on drugs and give the money back to the US. Drug demand is so high that they will just find alternative paths in anyway.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My MegaCorp has a plant in Mexico City. The Plant Manager's monthly report gives updates on organized crime activities every month. His Supply Chain Leader had his car stolen at gunpoint a few months ago in broad daylight (late afternoon), while he was sitting at a stoplight on his way home after work. No thanks...
Larry King interviewed Carlos Slim last week. The guy has 6 kids, all grown up. When King asked about security, he said it was no problem.

Huh. He lives in the DF and they have been kidnapping people there for 20 years!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
kcowan will like this.
Yea I shared it with other PV snowbirds. But I am not into promoting it beyond them. We are keeping it our little secret!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thankfully Cozumel is still safe. The island has one airport and one ferry and I think the limited transportation options go a long way toward keeping the island safe. Flying down on the 18th and can't wait.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yea I think Calderon should shut down his war on drugs and give the money back to the US. Drug demand is so high that they will just find alternative paths in anyway.
Well, unfortunately Northern Mexico is in such a bad state now it would just turn into a lawless wasteland with a totally collapsed economy. Nice secure situation - right in the US's wide back yard.

And it's not Calderon's war on drugs. It's his war on narcotraficantes, i.e. organized crime taking over sovereignty of Northern Mexico. Different war.

Audrey
Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #12

The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble.
And of course the gunfire that Audrey hears is actually thunder...
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And of course the gunfire that Audrey hears is actually thunder...
This might be meant to be a clever comment, but it isn't. We live at Lake Chapala like the Kaderlis do, and it's 1200 miles south of the border. Yes we have crime here, and without a doubt the drug wars in Mexico are a great concern. The demand for the drugs comes from the U.S., the guns for the narcos as well (mostly from Texas), the inept drug policy as well. Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.

On a day-to-day basis Mexico outside of the border towns is much calmer, saner and safer than typical American city life. Fortunately the steady drum beat of Fox News, CNN and the like keep the fearful, the unadventurous and misinformed home where they belong.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
the guns for the narcos as well (mostly from Texas), the inept drug policy as well. Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.
Some guns come from the USA, no doubt. But, I would not put the blame on the USA.

Mexican Drug War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the November 2010 OIG analysis of ATF data suggest a much lower percentage, ranging from 27% to 44%. [69] The OIG analysis of ATF data concluded that ATF’s attempts to expand gun tracing in Mexico have been unsuccessful. [70] While the United States is not the only source of firearms and munitions used by the cartels, it has been established that a significant percentage of their firearms originate from gun stores and other sources in the U.S.[71] It is also well-established that firearms traffickers often use the same routes as drug traffickers, and increasingly, the ATF finds that Mexican cartels transport firearms and munitions into Mexico from Guatemala, situated on Mexico’s southern border.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
This might be meant to be a clever comment, but it isn't. We live at Lake Chapala like the Kaderlis do, and it's 1200 miles south of the border.
This post of mine responded to and duly quoted:"The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble." The domain of "around Mexico" was not specified in the post I quoted, though perhaps Gringo encampments in certain select areas were implicitly intended.

So I guess as long as they do not travel to areas where you have no residence, they are safe? And more generally, all kinds of people are in Afghanistan and have not been shot. Is Afghanistan then safe? To my statistically naive eye, 2 people who are reported to be "traveling around Mexico with no trouble" are not exactly an endorsement of Mexican safety, but of course your YMMV.

Ha
Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #17

Quote:
and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.
As I understand "failed state" it refers to an area where government has ceased to function, such as Somalia. It is absurd to claim that the US is in that category. Or is this some new political hyperbole?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #18

now you all have me second guessing our bus tour from cancun to chitzen itza
Old 12-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #19

Take the tour and enjoy. Slim chance of any problems.

I would not, however, wander outside of the Cancun tourist area at night. The drug war has started to appear in Cancun but has been mostly confined to areas away from the tourist strip.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This post of mine responded to and duly quoted:"The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble." The domain of "around Mexico" was not specified in the post I quoted, though perhaps Gringo encampments in certain select areas were implicitly intended.
Ron and Vicki are here is PV now. They post pictures around Mexico.
phoenyxx's photos and albums on webshots

They drag their 5th wheel here from Abbottsford BC and take it all over Mexico.