Safety of Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a little hard to watch that when we can hear distant automatic machine gunfire from our back yard and we often see news footage of the ski-masked Mexican Army dealing with the thugs just across the border, and about high-powered guns and grenade launchers being seized. Just because you are an American doesn't mean wouldn't be a target under the right circumstances. And then there are tragic accidents/mistakes.

I'm sure Puerto Vallarta is fine - especially if you fly direct. Fortunately I'd already travelled extensively in Mexico in the early 2000s, and I won't be surprised if we end up traveling to Columbia before going to Mexico again.

Audrey

It's a little hard to watch that when we can hear distant automatic machine gunfire from our back yard and we often see news footage of the ski-masked Mexican Army dealing with the thugs just across the border, and about high-powered guns and grenade launchers being seized. Just because you are an American doesn't mean wouldn't be a target under the right circumstances. And then there are tragic accidents/mistakes.
Yikes. Time to hit the road again?

My MegaCorp has a plant in Mexico City. The Plant Manager's monthly report gives updates on organized crime activities every month. His Supply Chain Leader had his car stolen at gunpoint a few months ago in broad daylight (late afternoon), while he was sitting at a stoplight on his way home after work. No thanks...

Yikes. Time to hit the road again?

No. We are out of range and there is no bridge nearby, thank goodness. But it is sobering, and a constant reminder of life's vulnerabilities.

There is a huge influx of winter texans to the Rio Grande Valley - something like 150,000 - and the Northern Mexico violence has not impacted that, although it has completely shut down US tourist excursions across the border.

Audrey

What a darn shame...Mexico and it's people are such a great experience.:(

Yea I think Calderon should shut down his war on drugs and give the money back to the US. Drug demand is so high that they will just find alternative paths in anyway.

My MegaCorp has a plant in Mexico City. The Plant Manager's monthly report gives updates on organized crime activities every month. His Supply Chain Leader had his car stolen at gunpoint a few months ago in broad daylight (late afternoon), while he was sitting at a stoplight on his way home after work. No thanks...
Larry King interviewed Carlos Slim last week. The guy has 6 kids, all grown up. When King asked about security, he said it was no problem.

Huh. He lives in the DF and they have been kidnapping people there for 20 years!

Thankfully Cozumel is still safe. The island has one airport and one ferry and I think the limited transportation options go a long way toward keeping the island safe. Flying down on the 18th and can't wait.

Yea I think Calderon should shut down his war on drugs and give the money back to the US. Drug demand is so high that they will just find alternative paths in anyway.
Well, unfortunately Northern Mexico is in such a bad state now it would just turn into a lawless wasteland with a totally collapsed economy. Nice secure situation - right in the US's wide back yard.

And it's not Calderon's war on drugs. It's his war on narcotraficantes, i.e. organized crime taking over sovereignty of Northern Mexico. Different war.

Audrey

The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble.

And of course the gunfire that Audrey hears is actually thunder...

This might be meant to be a clever comment, but it isn't. We live at Lake Chapala like the Kaderlis do, and it's 1200 miles south of the border. Yes we have crime here, and without a doubt the drug wars in Mexico are a great concern. The demand for the drugs comes from the U.S., the guns for the narcos as well (mostly from Texas), the inept drug policy as well. Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.

On a day-to-day basis Mexico outside of the border towns is much calmer, saner and safer than typical American city life. Fortunately the steady drum beat of Fox News, CNN and the like keep the fearful, the unadventurous and misinformed home where they belong.

the guns for the narcos as well (mostly from Texas), the inept drug policy as well. Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.

Some guns come from the USA, no doubt. But, I would not put the blame on the USA.

Mexican Drug War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the November 2010 OIG analysis of ATF data suggest a much lower percentage, ranging from 27% to 44%. [69] The OIG analysis of ATF data concluded that ATF’s attempts to expand gun tracing in Mexico have been unsuccessful. [70] While the United States is not the only source of firearms and munitions used by the cartels, it has been established that a significant percentage of their firearms originate from gun stores and other sources in the U.S.[71] It is also well-established that firearms traffickers often use the same routes as drug traffickers, and increasingly, the ATF finds that Mexican cartels transport firearms and munitions into Mexico from Guatemala, situated on Mexico’s southern border.

This might be meant to be a clever comment, but it isn't. We live at Lake Chapala like the Kaderlis do, and it's 1200 miles south of the border.
This post of mine responded to and duly quoted:"The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble." The domain of "around Mexico" was not specified in the post I quoted, though perhaps Gringo encampments in certain select areas were implicitly intended.

So I guess as long as they do not travel to areas where you have no residence, they are safe? And more generally, all kinds of people are in Afghanistan and have not been shot. Is Afghanistan then safe? To my statistically naive eye, 2 people who are reported to be "traveling around Mexico with no trouble" are not exactly an endorsement of Mexican safety, but of course your YMMV. :)

Ha

and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.

As I understand "failed state" it refers to an area where government has ceased to function, such as Somalia. It is absurd to claim that the US is in that category. Or is this some new political hyperbole?

now you all have me second guessing our bus tour from cancun to chitzen itza

Take the tour and enjoy. Slim chance of any problems.

I would not, however, wander outside of the Cancun tourist area at night. The drug war has started to appear in Cancun but has been mostly confined to areas away from the tourist strip.

This post of mine responded to and duly quoted:"The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble." The domain of "around Mexico" was not specified in the post I quoted, though perhaps Gringo encampments in certain select areas were implicitly intended.
Ron and Vicki are here is PV now. They post pictures around Mexico.
phoenyxx's photos and albums on webshots

They drag their 5th wheel here from Abbottsford BC and take it all over Mexico.

The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble.

You gotta hand it to them...they must know the safe parts of the country because nothing seems to happen to them that's very bad. Good for them!!!;)

The demand for the drugs comes from the U.S., the guns for the narcos as well (mostly from Texas), the inept drug policy as well. Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.

Darn I thought my state Arizona supplied all the guns to the narcos.

My neighbor Rob Krentz if he were alive would argue your points with you.

3 miles from New Mexico, 30 miles from Old Mexico.

Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.
I don't get this comment either. How can you say the US is a failed state, or that corruption is endemic? Sure, there is probably some corruption, but is it significant enough to undercut law enforcement? The local law enforcement around here is very active and pretty aggressive and doing a lot with limited staffs. They even go after the small stuff so it doesn't become big stuff. You can report a crime to your local police/constable/sheriff and not worry about retribution or death threats to your family, and you don't have to pay a bribe for enforcement. You don't have to hire private guards to patrol your houses or neighborhoods. The Feds (Border Patrol) have a very visible presence and heavily patrol the area. Sure, we can get smarter. Just now finally they are inspecting vehicles going south to prevent cash and arms smuggling (what took that so long?). The US side doesn't have murdered mayors and beheaded law enforcement officers. The US officers of the law don't have to cover their faces to do their jobs or be seen on TV.

I just don't see how you can claim equivalence between the US side of the border area and the Mexican side of it on this.

Audrey

Just now finally they are inspecting vehicles going south to prevent cash and arms smuggling (what took that so long?).
Usually they were leaving that to the Mexican border guards. Perhaps they have decided that that is not good enough?

Usually they were leaving that to the Mexican border guards. Perhaps they have decided that that is not good enough?
Yes, I believe they have decided that is not good enough. That perhaps the Mexican border guards are too overwhelmed, or too compromised, or who knows. Regardless I suspect the Mexican border guards are under increasing threat/pressure from the criminal elements. I think I heard/read somewhere that Mexico has been asked the US to do this for some time as well. The US is also keeping eyes out for reported stolen vehicles.

Also reported on local TV recently was that the cooperative communication between the US and Mexico border has recently broken down. The US law enforcement side interviewed saying that it is now really hard "to find someone to talk to" for cooperatively purposes.

Here is one older reference from early 2009. Looks like at the time Mexico was checking 10% of southbound vehicles - whether this was just triage based on what looked suspicious - who knows. Mexico at the time planned to increase inspections. It looks like some of the US measures we are seeing ramp up today are the result of plans put in early last year. U.S. to Boost Ports of Entry at Mexico Border | CNSnews.com

Audrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom