Join Early Retirement Today

Salt Lake City
Old 07-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Salt Lake City

Going to SLC for 5 days on business, never been before. Any suggested evening activities/restaurants/sights? Should DW and I bother with a $227 rental car or take the light rail everywhere?
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

You could drive up to Park City. https://www.visitparkcity.com/

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

Definitely check out both Park City and the Great Salt Lake itself. Also, if you're into this sort of thing, consider a guided tour of the main headquarters of the Mormon church downtown. It's pretty fascinating, even for a nonbeliever. The narrative you'll hear and the exhibits you'll see are... interesting.

[Edit to add]: I would recommend getting a rental car.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

I am not Mormon, or even religious for that matter, but still found the tabernacle interesting. I'd stop by there. I would probably get a rental car and hit Park City and maybe drive west to check out the salt flats.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Cool. Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The Pioneer Memorial Museum is pretty interesting. A lot of artifacts from the westward expansion of this country. Also, the state capitol rotunda is very beautiful.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

If you're there over the weekend just to let you know most restaurants are closed on Sundays.
For a good burger go to Hires Big H.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
If you're there over the weekend just to let you know most restaurants are closed on Sundays.
For a good burger go to Hires Big H.
Many restaurants are open Sundays there (including Hires Big H), though indeed some are closed, so check first.

Ruth's Diner is a fun place to try (it's a short drive up a canyon), or maybe the Red Iguana. Market Street Grill is very good. And these are open Sundays.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Excellent! I'm actually starting to look forward to the trip now. Thanks!!
Old 07-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depending on how much time is available you could take a quick drive to Antelope Island State Park....it's about 40 miles North of Salt Lake.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If you like museums, this is pretty cool:

https://nhmu.utah.edu/
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that you are in great shape, you can challenge yourself with one of my favorite area hikes.

Drive to the Alta Ski Resort and hike to Katherine's pass. About 900 ft. If you still need more, you can continue to sunset peak which is another 600ft higher. Sunset Peak is about 10,650 ft elevation.

I haven't been up this year, but have heard the wildflowers are starting to show.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Now that you are in great shape, you can challenge yourself with one of my favorite area hikes.

Drive to the Alta Ski Resort and hike to Katherine's pass. About 900 ft. If you still need more, you can continue to sunset peak which is another 600ft higher. Sunset Peak is about 10,650 ft elevation.

I haven't been up this year, but have heard the wildflowers are starting to show.

Thanks man. If I have time I'll check it out. Really appreciate all the feedback. This really is a great group of people.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I agree with Park City or up either Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons to the resorts there. To me, the mountains are the draw and fun to visit for short hikes, scenery, etc. Light Rail (Trax) runs primarily north and south, but you can catch it from the airport to downtown. For the downtown area, Trax is free (unless they've changed something). There is a lot to do and see. If you have time, there is the Museum of Natural History at the University of Utah about 4 miles east of downtown. Temple Square is the number one tourist stop (right downtown) and is worth seeing.

I agree with Ruth's Diner up Immigration Canyon, it's good food, great secluded scenery and decent prices. If you do decide to go to Temple Square, you might consider the Lion House, which was Brigham Young's primary residence. The food is homemade, very good and reasonable.

You can probably do without a car for the downtown activities and just rent one for the trips outside of town.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Depending on how much time is available you could take a quick drive to Antelope Island State Park....it's about 40 miles North of Salt Lake.
That's a good place to take a brief swim in the Great Salt Lake, since you float like a cork. But you have to ignore the flies and brine shrimp, and the smell. Make sure there are showers available if you get in, and don't let the water splash into your face!
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

You can also go some evening to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearse.....for free (if you're interested). It was pretty interesting to watch. Can't remember which evenings, but you can google it. And don't worry, no one tries to "save you". It was very casual - walk in/walk out when you want.

I always wanted to see the Great Salt Lake....but I have to admit it was a bit anti-climatic. Water level is VERY low and I don't think I would ever swim in it. Kinda gross :-P. But Antelope Island is a nice drive.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:13 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=KM;1757415]
I always wanted to see the Great Salt Lake....but I have to admit it was a bit anti-climatic. Water level is VERY low and I don't think I would ever swim in it. Kinda gross :-P. But Antelope Island is a nice drive.

[/QUOTE

Drove past the lake in IIRC '91. Water was lapping at I80. Drove all the way to Bendover (er, ah, I mean Wendover.) The salt flats are interesting, though I didn't make a stop. The drive up to the ski resorts (no snow this time of year) was interesting.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Glad to see this thread. We will be in SLC for three days in latter September before heading to Moab and points south.

Trip Advisor reviews mentioned the SLC library and Cathedral of the Madeleine as architecturally interesting in the downtown area.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Capwest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like the mountains surrounding it. We've spent some time in Evanston, near Bear Lake (Garden City), Logan, and Montpelier.

Gorgeous drive between Logan and Garden City.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Salt Lake City is my old stomping grounds. Went to undergraduate school there where I majored in powder skiing. Graduated with honors

Seriously there is so much to do there, and getting into the mountains and out of the heat in the valley is a good call. Many good suggestions above.
In addition to those, might also suggest a breakfast at the silver fork lodge up big cottonwood canyon. Then up and over to park city via guardsmen pass, then on back to SLC. Have fun!
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote