Join Early Retirement Today

Salt Lake City dining
Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Salt Lake City dining

My friends and I will be in Salt Lake City for a few days next week. We will mostly be outside urban areas on a birding trip to northern Utah and southern Idaho, but am looking for dining options in Salt Lake City - and also in Twin Falls and Pocatallo, ID, for that matter.

We are all easterners, so would be interested in local cuisine, if such exists anymore. For example, are fresh trout available. Is grilled meat the norm in that part of the west?

Any good local beers, spirits (I know the mountain west is big on distilleries!)

TIA
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Administrator

I'm also interested in Salt Lake City dining recommendations, as we will be there on vacation in September.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Any good local beers, spirits (I know the mountain west is big on distilleries!)

TIA

Any Utah produced beers will be limited to the lower alcohol permitted in Utah. Only "imported" beers have the higher alcohol content in Utah.
I forget the value, I used to travel to Utah for work, but can't recall the percentage. It is lower like 3.2%, even for microbrew style that is made in Utah. The local microbrews were nice flavor, and I tended to drink those vs the other choices.
As for a restaurants, only one I can recall was the Red Iguana Mexican style restaurant that is located kind of between the SLC airport and downtown on N Temple Dr. There are two locations, the one on N Temple is the original. Can have long wait times as it is popular.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #4

Utah is full of great beers. Most are a little lower in alcohol than those made in other states (personally, I think that's a good thing). I'd rather have two than one, which is why I've always tended to go for an ordinary bitter in England, rather than an IPA.

I used to pass through SLC occasionally, and usually stopped for a meal at Squatters brewpub which is downtown and has always been reliable IMHO. Red Rock, Desert Edge, and Avenues Proper are other brewpubs.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
gone traveling

Yelp and TripAdvisor.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #6

If you're looking to eat out on a Sunday check to make sure the place is open. Many are not.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The Red Iguana, mentioned above, is actually the home of some of the best moles in the US. They even have a mole sampler so you can decide which you like best. I am a fan of their mango mole which pairs well with one of their mango margaritas. They are open on Sunday.
Gulfbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for Red Iguana. Are you going to Bear Lake for birding?
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #9

HI all. Just back from my trip to SLC. Yes, we did go to Bear Lake and enjoyed the unusual sight of scores of Virginia rail and sora chicks running around - that is definitely not something I've observed before. The Great Salt Lake was another spectacle with thousands upon thousands of various shorebirds and eared grebes.

We DID dine at Red Iguana, and it was quite good - but there is excellent Mexican food to be had in New Jersey, so the "wow" factor was less pronounced. The mole sampler was fun.

We had excellent and unusual food at the Tin Angel. The spiced beans that came with the rainbow trout entree were terrific. The service (described as "warmly hip" by one of the review sites) was annoyingly affected - everything described as "amazing" or "awesome" - but that's better than simply annoying! The venue was "shabby chic" - but the food was really, really good! I highly recommend this spot!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Places on my "re visit" list for my Ski Trips:

Tonkotsu Shabu Shabu Bar (no alcohol)
Squatters Pub
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfbeach View Post
The Red Iguana, mentioned above, is actually the home of some of the best moles in the US. They even have a mole sampler so you can decide which you like best. I am a fan of their mango mole which pairs well with one of their mango margaritas. They are open on Sunday.
+1 for RI. Don't be surprised if you have to wait outside on the sidewalk but the food is worth it!
SecondAttempt is online now   Reply With Quote