Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Salt lake city / grand teton / yellowstone redux
Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Salt lake city / grand teton / yellowstone redux

I decided it's time to do a salt lake city -> grand teton -> yellowstone trip so, i'm heading out a week and a half from now. I tried to revive the old yellowstone thread but it said it was too old so i'm starting a new one for any tips anyone might have in mind since the old thread.

I did a quick google map check it says to go up along the western wyoming border instead of up 15 through idaho falls (mentioned as a route in the old thread). Any suggestions on the most scenic/best route from salt lake city to jackson hole ? (i splurged and reserved a jeep rental as an additional note).

Of course, any general trip suggestions would also be very welcome if you have some new info you can share. Thanks..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I 15 is a boring ride...don't use it if possible.
Swim in the Firehole river below all the hot pots(bring shampoo)
Boil a trout you caught in the aforementioned hotpot for lunch.
Old Faithful is not to be missed if you've never been there.

Do Not eat anywhere in Salt Lake....worlds worst restaurants.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #3

It is a bit round about, but on the way in or out, take the Beartooth highway, to Red Lodge, MT, Drop down to Cody and thru Owl Creek Canyon to South Pass and on to Rock Springs. The other way one might go thru Logan on 89, then follow 89 up to Jackson. Note that Rand McNally calls 89 for that entire stretch scenic. The Northeast entrance to Yellowstone leads to the Beartooth Highway, and from Red Lodge you go over to 120 and follow it to Thermopolis, from there follow us 20 to 26 to Lander and then wy 28 over South Pass
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

There's been 2 recent bear attacks in Yellowstone so if you're going to do some hiking I would invest in a can of bear spray and read up on what to do should you encounter one. I've read mixed reviews on the benefits of bear bells, the locals call them "time for dinner bells". The last time I was hiking in the Grand Tetons we came upon a berry patch and commented how it would be good bear food. Just then a bear cub stood up in the middle of the berry patch and looked at us. Needless to say we booked out of there before mama bear noticed us.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

IMO the most scenic route is Utah 89 via Logan, via Montpelier, via Alpine and into Jackson, Wy. The Logan Canyon drive is very nice. The view of Bear Lake is great. Also a nice place to stop for ice cream.

I was in Yellowstone hiking/fishing last week. Most trails on the north end of Hayden valley and Canyon Area were closed. The last death was on the Mary Mountain trail that runs along the north of Hayden Valley.

Tetons at sunrise after a 23 hr road trip from Illinois.

Imperial Geyser - 3 miles in from trail head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2097.jpg (498.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2421.jpg (580.7 KB, 13 views)
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
IMO the most scenic route is Utah 89 via Logan, via Montpelier, via Alpine and into Jackson, Wy. The Logan Canyon drive is very nice. The view of Bear Lake is great. Also a nice place to stop for ice cream.

I was in Yellowstone hiking/fishing last week. Most trails on the north end of Hayden valley and Canyon Area were closed. The last death was on the Mary Mountain trail that runs along the north of Hayden Valley.

Tetons at sunrise after a 23 hr road trip from Illinois.

Imperial Geyser - 3 miles in from trail head.
thanks. any hike recommendation(s) ?
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
thanks. any hike recommendation(s) ?
Stop at a gift shop and get the trail guide by Marshall.

Riddle Lake - Trail head 2 miles south of Grant Village (6 Miles RT)

Grebe Lake - Trail head 5 miles west of Canyon Village junct on Norris-Canyon Road. (6 Miles RT)

Fairy Falls/Imperial Geyser - Trail heads by Old Faithful and Fountain Flats Drive (Use the Fountain Flats. After you cross the Firehole river bridge take a hard left and follow the trails to geysers along the river.

Mystic Falls - Trail head at back of Biscuit Basin. (Very Short).

Pelican Creek trail - Trail head east of Fishing Bridge on left. Take the frontage road back to the pull off area.

Howard-Eaton trail - Trail head at Fishermans bridge parking lot.

Shoshone Lake - Trail Head south of Old Faithful. (Delacey Creek Trail)
Early early morning can see wolfs, elk, moose.

Shoshone Geyser Basin - Trail head by Keppler Falls south of Old Faithful. This is via Lone Star Geyser. This hike is 8.5 miles one way and has over 300 geysers/features to view. Be careful.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In Grand Teton my favorite hike was always Cascade Canyon Trail after using the ferry/boat shuttle across Jenny Lake from Jenny Lake Lodge. Other nearby lake trails are nice too - Sting Lake trail? Oxbow Bend is a lovely place to see and a good wildlife spot. Signal Mountain Lodge had great food. And Antelope Flats usually had great wildlife.

I think you might be about right timing wise for the elk rut. That is a spectacular thing to see. Late Sept in the Tetons - my favorite time!

Audrey
Old 08-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I am going to ressurect this topic because I am considering doing something similar next year. Fly to Salt Lake City, rent a car, visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP.

I have checked the prices of rooms in Grand Teton NP and they are very high. I think the cheapest I found was $288 a night plus tax. Any suggestions for where to stay outside the park that is more reasonable.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #10

We flew directly into Jackson Hole from Chicago several years ago. Not sure of current flight offerings, though.

Be sure to check for any road closures. They had severe flooding a while back that really took out entire road sections. Not sure if repairs have been done or will be by the time of your trip.

I plan to revisit in 2025 as a retirement trip for my best friend. We want to duplicate our previous trip from about 15 years ago. On our previous trip we spent a couple nights in Jackson doing Tetons, then up thru Yellowstone to a night in Chico Hot Springs, MT. Then back thru Yellowstone to a night in Red Lodge, MT. Then back into the park for 2 nights at Canyon Village Lodge. Then back to Jackson for a night before flying back. Staying outside the parks some saves quite a bit of money. We didn’t find the extra driving to be bad at all. It was quite scenic and enjoyable.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We took rte 89 from salt lake through Jackson to Tetons/Yellowstone and it was very scenic.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Our favorite lodge in Grand Teton NP has been Signal Mountain Lodge, although it’s been a while. It’s very close to some of the best wildlife viewing areas. It takes a while to drive into the park from outside, so staying within is well worth it IMO.

I think one time we stayed at a cabin in the Gross Vent area that was not too far out.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We found West Yellowstone, MT to be a very convenient and much cheaper way to attack Yellowstone. Lots of places to stay and we even caught some very good local theatre there.

At Grand Teton we stayed in the park at Jackson Lake Lodge which we loved.

This was a few years ago to YMMV.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 07:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We had our motor home so could stay in the park. We spent 4 days in Yellowstone and 2 in the Tetons. It was plenty of time in the Tetons but we could have spent more time in Yellowstone.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Our favorite lodge in Grand Teton NP has been Signal Mountain Lodge, although it’s been a while. It’s very close to some of the best wildlife viewing areas. It takes a while to drive into the park from outside, so staying within is well worth it IMO.
We have stayed there before and would again. In Yellowstone, we stayed at the park lodges so we would not lose so much time driving in and out. Yellowstone is really big. At times, traffic can slow you down a lot.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:14 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

In the Tetons, we stayed in a lovely cabin on Jackson Lake in the Colter Bay village. Took a breakfast boat ride out to Elk Island for absolutely stunning views.
wearefinishedworking is offline   Reply With Quote