Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never been to New Mexico, but we just got back from Sedona a couple of weeks ago and loved it. If you enjoy scenic drives, the ride north up 89A out of town is great. Our favorite meal was at the Pumphouse Station. Great little place. Have fun!

Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the Pumphouse recommendation RacerX. We'll check it out.

SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turquoise Trail is Hwy 14. From ABQ, go east on I-40 approx 15 miles, then take Hwy 14 north. It will go through Golden and Madrid, and then continue on to Santa Fe. About a 30 mile drive total. Madrid was recommended earlier, it is an old mining town.

Enchanted Circle is just as shown, the loop goes around the highest peak in NM: Wheeler Peak, 13167 ft elevation at the top. Pretty drive and some good spots to stop in the small towns.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks 38Chevy454,

We're picking up friends up from the Albuquerque airport so am planning on taking the Turquoise Hwy into Santa Fe. Looks like a nice way to start our travels there.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #45

Every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend, they have wine festivals in ABQ. I've been numerous times over the years. I strongly recommend it:
New Mexico Wine Country | The New Mexico Wineries Association

I know you're going to Santa Fe, but would also recommend the Sandia Peak Tramway:

Sandia Peak Ski & Tramway - Sandia Peak Tramway
Old 04-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a follow up note from our trip to Santa Fe. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. We ended up spending two nights traveling there, three nights in Santa Fe and then two nights traveling back. Here are some highlights:

1st night in Sedona at the Hyatt. Used points so the cost was great! Very well maintained timeshare property that had comfortable suites. Walking distance to a lot of restaurants and had awesome views from many spots.

2nd day did an absolutely breathtaking hike! West Fork Trail, slightly outside Sedona, that is a moderate 6.6 mile hike. Stunning views throughout the whole hike. Matches up with some of my favorite hiking areas.

Drove to Gallup New Mexico and stayed at a Fairfield Inn and Suites that I don’t recommend. Pretty sterile and next to the train tracks so a bit noisy.

Spent 3 nights at the La Posada in Santa Fe. It’s a great hotel. Very comfortable, unique setting, and nice amenities. They have a different happy hour (free for guests) each evening from 4-5pm. Nice spa as well.

Did all the sites in town, churches, adobe homes, etc.. One surprise restaurant was the Palacio Cafť, a modest restaurant with great food and service. I highly recommend it. Thought that the highly rated restaurant, The Shed, was a bit overrated. Nice setting but very average food. We liked the Plaza Cafť on the square.

Spent a great Ĺ day at the Bandelier park with it’s Anastazi ruins. Really cool due to the ability to get up close to the ancient dwellings.

Heading home we stayed at a really nice B&B, the Violet Rose B&B in Winslow AZ. Excellent room and breakfast and a very comforable spot to stay. While we didn’t stay there, the renovated Las Posada hotel in town was a lot of fun to visit and have a couple of cocktails.

All in all a very fun trip so thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDr View Post
Spent 3 nights at the La Posada in Santa Fe. Itís a great hotel. Very comfortable, unique setting, and nice amenities.
Had forgotten that that's where we stayed so many years ago. Quite unique.

Sounds like great trip.
gerntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Heading home we stayed at a really nice B&B, the Violet Rose B&B in Winslow AZ. Excellent room and breakfast and a very comforable spot to stay. While we didnít stay there, the renovated Las Posada hotel in town was a lot of fun to visit and have a couple of cocktails.
Did you see a girl my lord
In a flatbed ford?
Old 04-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Did you see a girl my lord
In a flatbed ford?
Take it Easy-The Eagles
Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
Such a fine sight to see
It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Take it Easy-The Eagles
Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
Such a fine sight to see
It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me
I think it would be humanly impossible not to sing that multiple times while in Winslow! My wife sang along a couple of times but tired of it far sooner than me. The Eagles Greatest Hits album was one of the 1st 5 albums that I purchased as a kid. Pretty much wore that one out.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think it would be humanly impossible not to sing that multiple times while in Winslow! My wife sang along a couple of times but tired of it far sooner than me. The Eagles Greatest Hits album was one of the 1st 5 albums that I purchased as a kid. Pretty much wore that one out.
Very easy to sing along - Eagles songs are played on speakers at the street corner and in the 2 shops there. One shop has a video of an Eagles concert playing all day long.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

This may be way too late.

Did you happen to purchase any Navajo rugs? We are heading to Santa Fe first week in November and a friend just mentioned that I might want to purchase one.

As it turns out, we just ripped out all our carpeting.

I've been Googling Navajo rugs and they are just so gorgeous. (I had no idea.)

If you have any leads about where to purchase, please share?

Thanks,
Ohyes
ohyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post

Did you happen to purchase any Navajo rugs? We are heading to Santa Fe first week in November and a friend just mentioned that I might want to purchase one.

Thanks,
Ohyes

If you want the genuine item, a great selection, and not pay high retail markup, go to Crownpoint, NM. We've purchased navajo rugs there a couple of times.
Rug auctions are monthly:
Crownpoint Navajo Rug Auction ‚€“ Welcome
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #54

Quote:

2nd day did an absolutely breathtaking hike! West Fork Trail, slightly outside Sedona, that is a moderate 6.6 mile hike. Stunning views throughout the whole hike. Matches up with some of my favorite hiking areas.

The only way someone would get me to hike 6.6 miles would be at gunpoint.

On a more serious note, Im glad you had a fun trip.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 AM   #55

Quote:
Heading home we stayed at a really nice B&B, the Violet Rose B&B in Winslow AZ.
While on a trip through northern AZ a few years ago, we stopped in Winslow for a while to visit 'the corner'. DW and I are big Eagles fans. As I was approaching RE I felt like Already Gone was my theme song. We have tickets for late October to see the Eagles again in concert, with Glenn's son joining the band.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

On a visit to Albuquerque my friend purchased a couple of small rugs at a shop on the square. Sorry, cannot remember the name of the store. The prices were decent. There are a couple of places we browsed before purchasing.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post

Thanks,
Ohyes
Once a week on the downtown square they have an open market where local artists/craftsman sell their handmade items. My wife bought some jewelry at good prices and they have a lot of very nice items for sale. I forget the exact day but they have it weekly. Some good restaurants close by as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
While on a trip through northern AZ a few years ago, we stopped in Winslow for a while to visit 'the corner'. DW and I are big Eagles fans. As I was approaching RE I felt like Already Gone was my theme song. We have tickets for late October to see the Eagles again in concert, with Glenn's son joining the band.
Big Eagles fan as well! A fantastic album that my wife and I love is "Common Thread". It has country music artists doing covers of Eagle songs. Surprisingly great.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
The only way someone would get me to hike 6.6 miles would be at gunpoint.

On a more serious note, Im glad you had a fun trip.
You know what, though, I'm betting that New Yorkers end up walking far more on a daily basis that folks from most other areas. That hike has very little elevation gain so think of it as a good walk around Central Park and then a stroll down 7th avenue to Times Square for a show.