Join Early Retirement Today
Sarasota area
Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Sarasota area

Hi all,
We are planning a trip to Sarasota, Florida and surrounding areas for both vacation and a potential place to relocate. Please let me know if anyone has any advice regarding either things we should see and do from a vacation stand point or communities we should consider.

Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Siesta Key beach is the best beach i've ever been to. It's on the far southwest end of Sarasota. Parking is free and there's a lot of it but get there by 11am or you may not find a spot. The beach is big and even when crowded isn't all that crowded IMO. Any of the communities from Bradenton down to Venice(Sarasota is in between) would be worth checking out.

aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Hi , I live on the border of Sarasota . For sightseeing I would recommend The Ringling Museum , St, Arricamand's circle ( an upscale shopping area ) , Siesta Beach ,Downtown Sarasota & the famous statue which is my avatar in the marina area . For relocation I would suggest Lakewood Ranch . It is a self contained area with all types of houses , villas & condos . It has shopping areas and recreation areas . I would also recommend checking out Venice , Fl. It is below Sarasota and somewhat less expensive but very nice with a historical downtown.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe
I also agree with Siesta Key Beach. Wonderful beach with white sugar sand. I also enjoy the Columbia restaurant in Sarasota as well. Excellent food with awesome mojitos. Enjoy!
WIBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado
For a retirement area check out the Punta Gorda area. Great small town with lots of restaurants, activities etc. close to Sarasota or Ft Myers. One down side is that it is not very close to a beach.
PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
I love Bradenton because it is less expensive than upscale Sarasota. Definitely get out onto the barrier islands. Take a nature boat tour out of Mote Marine Laboratory. Marine biologists bring up a net full of sea creatures that you can look at or touch. Shark's tooth hunting in Venice...alligator airboat ride at Myakka State park east of Sarasota. I could go on and on. I hope to retire to the Bradenton/Sarasota area in a few years.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets
If you are looking for a little bit quieter area to scout around, try Ana Maria Island. It has some great restaurants and the people are very friendly. There is a free trolley service that goes up and down the island so you don't always have to get out and deal with the traffic that can get problematic at certain times there.
tboinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Events & Festivals | Visit Sarasota County

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote