Savannah , Ga

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
We are planning a short trip to Savannah and was wondering how long a trip should it be to cover Savannah ?

We went to Savannah about 10 years ago. I would say that you can see virtually everything there in 3 days.

Riverwalk, some squares to walk around, Jerri's Kinfolk an antique store (close to the river) and a few special eateries. My sister still lives there and I think 2 or 3 days about does it nicely. It is not a huge place and is quite laid back. Unless you are into public drunkeness, avoid St Patrick's day. They cancel all non-critical hopital services 48 hours in advance!

We went to Savannah about 10 years ago. I would say that you can see virtually everything there in 3 days.

Ditto.....we were there earlier this year for a few days, and that was plenty of time to spend there. You can take a trolley tour to get an overview of the town, then venture back to the highlights on your own....and that's made even easier if you get a 1 or 2 day trolley pass, so you can jump on & off as often as you like. The trolleys run about every 20 minutes, and if you let the driver know where you want to get off, he'll let you know when it's time for your stop. He'll also let you know where he'll pick you up if it's different than where you got on...like across the street or the next block or around the corner, etc.

Walking and trolleys are the way to go.....the streets are too narrow and congested to bother driving, and parking is limited.

A very nice town to visit and explore! Enjoy!!! :D

Thanks everyone for the info. We are planning on three days . It's a six hour drive from here so doable .

Three days is plenty. We stayed at Jane's on Jones last year. It is a great B&B in the historic district about two blocks from the Garden of Good and Evil mansion (which is worth a visit).

Lovely city. You will have a nice visit, I'm sure. It is nice to walk around the squares admiring the old houses. One thing I really like about Savannah is that it was a planned city, with proper squares and streets that make sense (unlike my beloved home city of Charleston, which bewilders even the residents with our sudden one-way streets).
Another thing I think is interesting is that all of the mansions are of different styles, so you get to see a real panorama of design in one place, also unlike Charleston, where the "Charleston single house" reigns.

There are good eats all over town, and don't forget to check out the beaches as well.

Back
Top Bottom