Join Early Retirement Today

Savannah, GA
Old 02-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Savannah, GA

DW wants to visit Savannah...
sounds good to me.

What should we do/see in during the day, and what should we do/see at night?

What should be absolutely not miss?

Best part of town to stay for people who love to walk around?

Favorite hotels/inns?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would definitely stay in the Historic District and preferably close to Bay Street to be in the middle of the action and take walks along the river. I stayed at a Staybridge Inn a few years ago and got a good price by booking early - there is also a Holiday Inn Express in that area. Of course if you can afford or get a good price at the Planter's Inn or one of the other nicer hotels, go for it. There are some less pricey hotels near MLK - I stayed at the Hampton Inn there but felt uncomfortable walking at night as I was a female by myself. Now I note there are several new big hotels by MLK so perhaps it is safer or they provide shuttle service. I used one of the Hop On and Hop Off tour trolleys to get around to get the basic tour and because the Historic District is a little too spread out to walk everywhere.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

thanks ABQ...just the sort of info I am looking for!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
Administrator

We stayed at the Marshall House in the historic district about 15 years ago. It was very nice, and convenient. Savannah, GA Hotels - Marshall House Savannah
Old 02-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My favorite thing in Savannah was the hearse tours. You ride around town in a convertible hearse and it is great fun.
Nice to walk along the waterfront, and of course walking in the parks is great. If you haven't read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, that's a must, and then checking out some of the sites featured in the book.
A trip out to the nearby barrier islands is nice, too.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:44 AM   #6

thanks, all. I have been to Tybee and Hilton Head, but DW has not. So we'll definitely do at least one of those. Probably HH. Part of the agenda is to see if there is somewhere around there we might like to spend a chunk of next winter. If I can talk her into retiring.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:50 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stay in the historic district. Tour the Mercer Williams House and read Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil before you go.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #8

My sister owned two large houses in the historic district that she bought many years ago and had rehab'd, then rented very successfully. She just recently sold them. We would meet in Savannah every year for her to look over her investment, and we always stayed at the Presidents' Quarters Inn B & B.

Bed and Breakfast Savannah, GA | Presidents’ Quarters Inn

Our favorite place to eat was always The Sapphire Grill. Wonderful!

The Sapphire Grill

Watch out for all the SCAD vans running around with their college students out doing urban renewal projects. They are crazy drivers.....
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

We were lucky and got a room at the historic River Street Inn. Lots of history. We stayed on the river side and could lay in bed and see the ships pass by on the river. There were also pictures all over the hotel who's eyes followed you everywhere.

Old Fort Jackson is a must see. Taking a walking cemetery tour in the evening is sweet. Lots of good food and history in Savannah.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I live right outside Savannah. Definitely HH over Tybee. Downtown is fun, you can walk around with open containers which is cool. Tons of parks and squares perfect for gorgeous picnics. Ice cream at Leopolds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Georgialivin is offline   Reply With Quote