Join Early Retirement Today

Scottish Tattoo & Norway
Old 08-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Scottish Tattoo & Norway

We are finally going to experience the Edinburgh Tattoo and then fly over to Southhampton to catch a cruise to see the Norway Fjords --- will be nice to get away from summer heat here! We have for years talked about going to the Tattoo - glad to be finally doing it!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oooh, I'm jealous! Have fun.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Have a great time!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

Have a great time!

Am heading over to Scotland as well, and will attend the Tattoo at the end of this month. Can't wait! Have heard so much about it from others......

Old 08-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok... different tattoo. Have fun!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Am heading over to Scotland as well, and will attend the Tattoo at the end of this month. Can't wait! Have heard so much about it from others......

LitGal! Me, too! Very last performance with my BFF since 7th grade!

PM me if you fancy a meetup!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

DD's band went to the tattoo many years ago. Unfortunately, at that time, we didn't have the money to send her and DW. The reports were GRRREAAT.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #7

Both of these are on my bucket list. I've been to Edinburgh, but during spring break, and it was darn chilly. I'd love to go for the tattoo. Very exciting!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:21 AM   #8

We were in Edinburgh in June while they were starting to set up the viewing stands for the Tattoo. I was amazed at the scale of it, with these huge steel monstrosities being placed next to that old castle. Impressive may be an understatement!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on your pending getaway. We'll be in the Norway fjords and in Bergen on 9/8/2015.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Update us when you are back. Please. That is a great combination. We've done Edinburgh Fringe Festival +Tattoo and we've taken the train from Oslo to Bergen, the combined cruise idea is a great idea.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Update us when you are back. Please. That is a great combination. We've done Edinburgh Fringe Festival +Tattoo and we've taken the train from Oslo to Bergen, the combined cruise idea is a great idea.

We are leaving for Edinburgh in a couple of days. Temperature is about 100 here so the cooler weather will feel wonderful. Just looked at weather forecast...wouldn't you know...40% chance of rain on the day we go to the Tattoo...days surrounding it are rainfree! Actually no matter what, we will enjoy. Found out our hotel provides rain ponchos! Will give a report on return.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyparty View Post
We are leaving for Edinburgh in a couple of days. Temperature is about 100 here so the cooler weather will feel wonderful. Just looked at weather forecast...wouldn't you know...40% chance of rain on the day we go to the Tattoo...days surrounding it are rainfree! Actually no matter what, we will enjoy. Found out our hotel provides rain ponchos! Will give a report on return.

We are over 100 degrees here lately, too, and I keep Edinburgh and Inverness weather on my phone, just to remind me I'll soon have a change of weather. I will be there 8/28.

I can't wait to break out the umbrella.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We are back from Europe - saw the Tattoo on Aug. 20th - loved it! Only disappointment is the standard tune of any band, 'Amazing Grace' was not played. However the show was terrific including all the dancers and singers. Guess what - we had perfect weather - no rain and surprisingly warm weather - high 70's - so different from previous visits. We were looking forward to some cold weather and even rain! No need for the umbrellas, hats, gloves, etc we took along. Out hotel said it would provide ponchos if needed - but found out not true but they did have umbrellas which would not have worked in stadium seating. We are so glad we went! Our Norway cruise to the fjords was interesting too ... And again even out in the North Sea walking along the deck - was not cold - cool and wonderful!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1442165978.855341.jpg

For some reason my video will not upload...but here is a picture of one of the very imaginative things they did at the Tattoo - projected colors and images on the castle - 'lovely'!

Old 09-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're home from Norway. Best part about the trip thru the fjords was taking the mountain train from Myrdal down to Flan--incredible scenery. We didn't find the rest of the 150 mile fast boat ride thru the fjords to be that beautiful.

We loved Bergen, however. You never seen any obese people there as they cannot afford to eat food. The local citizens were very tall and very handsome/beautiful.

Norway prices: 2 burgers and 2 Cokes at TGI Fridays was $60. Cokes $4. Coffee $3.50. 1 beer in grocery $3.50-$4.00. 1 beer in bar $8.00.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote