Join Early Retirement Today

Seattle Airport to Denny Park?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seattle Airport to Denny Park?

We are flying into Seattle and need to get to our daughters condo near Denny Park. I think there is a light rail that runs to downtown Seattle, then underground. Then there is an above ground light rail that runs from there to a Whole Foods Store, that's where we want to get off. If you know Seattle you may know what I am talking about. Anyway. How can we get there? What is the light rail out of the airport and what stop do we get off? Are there any restrictions etc? Also, this way versus just taking a taxi? What say ye?
BillNOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Above Ground Light Rail? Do you mean streetcar?

It depends on whether or not you have luggage. Seattle buses and rollaboards just don't mix (I know, I've tried). Here is Metro's Trip Planner link: Metro's Online Trip Planner

One option would be to take the light rail to the end (Nordstrom vicinity .. not Macy's) and take a taxi from there. There will be lots of signs directing you to the stop at the airport. http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedule...il.xml?tab=Map

Here is what Frommer's guide says about Seattle Taxi service: If you decide not to use the public transit system, call Yellow Cab (tel. 206/622-6500; http://yellowtaxi.net) or Farwest Taxi (tel. 206/622-1717; www.farwesttaxi.net). Taxis can be difficult to hail on the street, so it's best to call or wait at the taxi stands at major hotels.

You will arrive at your destination quicker than any other method and doubtless cheaper too.

When we lived on Bainbridge Island I used a limo from the ferry terminal to SEA, they almost always used Hgy 99 and avoided I-5.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't been since the "Curves" were straightened out.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You can also take Light Rail from Airport to Westlake/Nordstrom, then go up the escalator/elavator to the Monorail. Monorail takes you to Seattle Center, about 5-6 blocks from Denny Park.

We did this to get to Seattle Center w/ baggage for a cruise last year. Plenty of room on Light Rail and Monorail for bags.
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just booked a limo service from Seatac to the Residence Inn near Lake Union for this weekend. He quoted me $35 for a car or $60 for an SUV each way. Seemed worth it for 5 people and he came recommended by the hotel.
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNOVA View Post
We are flying into Seattle and need to get to our daughters condo near Denny Park. I think there is a light rail that runs to downtown Seattle, then underground. Then there is an above ground light rail that runs from there to a Whole Foods Store, that's where we want to get off. If you know Seattle you may know what I am talking about. Anyway. How can we get there? What is the light rail out of the airport and what stop do we get off? Are there any restrictions etc? Also, this way versus just taking a taxi? What say ye?
Rail out of the airport is called Link. It's well marked. Go all the way to Westlake Station. Go above ground, and walk a couple blocks north and a little east to the Westlake Hub of the So. Lake Union Streetcar. I use an Orca card to pay, I am not sure the best way since you won't have one of these. The street car stops just in front of the Whole Foods at Westlake and Denny.

Seattle Streetcar
Central Link light rail - SoundTransit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Park_(Seattle)

Denny Park is changing. For years it was pretty much left to al fresco hookers and drug dealers. Viva Amazon!

Ha
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Adding to haha's info, the Westlake Station used to have 5 exits but I think the one going into Westlake Mall is shut now, but take the Exit that goes into Norstroms, thru mensware, past the shoes and you will see the street exit onto 5th Ave. And when you come out on the street you will be within 1/2 block of the Central Link Light Rail, just walk toward the Bartell's on the corner and there is a BofA, the rail starts there.

I mention this because 2 of the exits will take you further away and over near Macys and McDonalds.

Oh, if you are hungry after the ride in, there is a pizza joint called Tutta Bella next to Whole Foods and the pizza is some of the best I've had.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Rail out of the airport is called Link. It's well marked. Go all the way to Westlake Station. Go above ground, and walk a couple blocks north and a little east to the Westlake Hub of the So. Lake Union Streetcar. I use an Orca card to pay, I am not sure the best way since you won't have one of these. The street car stops just in front of the Whole Foods at Westlake and Denny.

Seattle Streetcar
Central Link light rail - SoundTransit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Park_(Seattle)

Denny Park is changing. For years it was pretty much left to al fresco hookers and drug dealers. Viva Amazon!

Ha
I live blocks from Denny and this is exactly how I'd do it. There are automated ticket machines for both Link Light Rail and the Streetcar.

If you go down to baggage claim at Seatac you'll see signs for the rail. Runs frequently (every 5-20 mins) and I believe tix are $2.50 per person.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

thanks to all, this is what we were looking for. DW now feels much better, thanks again
BillNOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

BillNOVA, one little tidbit. You'll walk a fair ways from the terminal past the parking structure out to the Light Rail, when you get there you will see the ORCA vending machines, and one tricky point is that the minimum you can put on the ORCA card is $5, and you'll each need your own card. You'll select "E-Purse" and add $5. You can then add money as you find other needs to ride ferry, bus, rails.

Also, once you purchase it you need to "tap" it at one of the machine before going up the escalator to the train platform.

Oh, and just an observation, when you see the stop at the stadiums, you'll go into a tunnel, and then it's International, then Pioneer Square, then University St, and then Westlake, and I mention that because I see lots of new riders start to wonder if they missed their stop when they hear University. Enjoy Seattle, great city.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORCA.jpg (13.7 KB, 0 views)
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
BillNOVA, one little tidbit. You'll walk a fair ways from the terminal past the parking structure out to the Light Rail, when you get there you will see the ORCA vending machines, and one tricky point is that the minimum you can put on the ORCA card is $5, and you'll each need your own card. You'll select "E-Purse" and add $5. You can then add money as you find other needs to ride ferry, bus, rails.

Also, once you purchase it you need to "tap" it at one of the machine before going up the escalator to the train platform.

Oh, and just an observation, when you see the stop at the stadiums, you'll go into a tunnel, and then it's International, then Pioneer Square, then University St, and then Westlake, and I mention that because I see lots of new riders start to wonder if they missed their stop when they hear University. Enjoy Seattle, great city.
When my relatives take the Link they get a paper ticket at the kiosk. No Orca card required, unless that changed very recently...

Good point about the stops!
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote