Seattle in January

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are going to see our niece and her husband in Seattle in January. Not my preferred timing, but this is what works best. Any recommendations on the best ways to spend our weekend? They like food, wine, beer and are very active hikers but we aren’t keen on hiking in January.

Brooklyn steak and seafood happy hour .4PM to 6 PM..99 cent oysters plus a great bar menu.

Attachments

• KATHY's birthday 2013.pdf
    291 KB · Views: 19
Agree mountains are a good bet. Like the oyster idea. Just keep an eye on the weather. In January you can get anything

Since your OP mentioned wine and food, you can not go wrong hitting the Woodinville tasting rooms. Nearly all the tasting rooms (over 100 tasting rooms) represent the best of Eastern WA great wineries. https://woodinvillewinecountry.com/our-story/.

Best part is unlike CA tasting rooms most of the wineries offer very reasonable tasting fees or even better no cost if you buy.
Lots of great eateries in the area as well a number of brew pubs.
Great place to spend a dreary Jan day.

Palisades in Magnolia for seafood and a great view of the city skyline. Snoqulamie falls and drinks at the Salish lodge. Wine tasting in Woodinville. Hiking can be done anytime in the lowlands in January but it might be rainy. Instead, head up to the Cascade Mountains an easy hour drive and do some snow shoeing (i.e, hiking in the snow). You can rent snow shoes at REI. Take a ferry ride over to bainbridge island and have lunch and shop at many of the nice places in town. The Space Needle has recently been renovated with a glass floor; amazing views on a sunny day. And there is always Pike Place Market. Brew pubs are everywhere. Our wettest months are November/December. You can get some nice clear sunny days in January; its hit and miss.

But one could hike every day of the year in the Issaquah Alps: Cougar Mountain, a county park, Squak Mountain, a state park, and Tiger Mountain, a state Natural Resources reserve. From small hikes to challenging ones.

- Rita

But one could hike every day of the year in the Issaquah Alps: Cougar Mountain, a county park, Squak Mountain, a state park, and Tiger Mountain, a state Natural Resources reserve. From small hikes to challenging ones.

Rita made me curious, so I googled Issaquah Alps and found this excellent trail database from the Washington Trails Association:

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes...earchabletext=&sort=&show_adv=0&filter=Search

Wow, I hope OP can get out on some hikes!

Great ideas, thanks to all! They live in Anacortes and haven’t spent much time in the city so we are thinking of renting an apartment in Seattle. I am going to ask them if they’ve done wine tasting. I didn’t realize that was available so close to Seattle.

Another oddball attraction in the Seattle area is the Pacific Bonsai Museum. A huge number of absolutely stunning bonsai trees to marvel at. Not everyone's cup of tea but I have enjoyed it on visits for many years.

Since your OP mentioned wine and food, you can not go wrong hitting the Woodinville tasting rooms. Nearly all the tasting rooms (over 100 tasting rooms) represent the best of Eastern WA great wineries. https://woodinvillewinecountry.com/our-story/.

Best part is unlike CA tasting rooms most of the wineries offer very reasonable tasting fees or even better no cost if you buy.
Lots of great eateries in the area as well a number of brew pubs.
Great place to spend a dreary Jan day.

I was going to mention this too. Chateau Ste Michelle is fun.

Great ideas, thanks to all! They live in Anacortes and haven’t spent much time in the city so we are thinking of renting an apartment in Seattle. I am going to ask them if they’ve done wine tasting. I didn’t realize that was available so close to Seattle.

Seattle is going to be a mess come January as a major thoroughfare (Hwy 99, AKA, Aurora Ave) is being shut down to reroute it. Downtown Seattle is rather chaotic anyway with its rapid growth. So I would consider staying outside the city center, maybe Queen Anne or Ballard, or on the east side - Issaquah or Kirkland.

If your niece lives in Anacortes, the country up there is beautiful. Whidbey Island is all farms. There are some wineries on the island. Good bike riding. Whidbey is attached to Anacortes by a bridge. The weather is a little better up there than Seattle because it is in the rain shadow of the Olympics. You can take the ferry from Keystone on Whidbey over to Port Townsend which is an old, small town with lots of charm. Very good restaurants there. Lots to do and see. Port Townsend would be fun to stay in also.

Chihuly Garden and Glass

New glass museum with glass pieces by famous artist Dale Chihuly. It's near the Space Needle.
https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com

and

The Museum of Glass in Tacoma, short drive south of Seattle
Pieces by Chihuly and others. Plus they have a workshop and you can watch artists blow glass pieces.
https://www.museumofglass.org

and

Native American art and artifacts collection at the Seattle Museum of Art. VERY different than native art in SW and other areas of US.
http://art.seattleartmuseum.org/collections/92391/native-american-art/objects

Last edited:
Thanks for more ideas! Has anyone toured the Amazon spheres? Or Theo’s Chocolatier?

Given our short visit (48 hours, arrive Fri afternoon and leave Sunday early evening), we agreed it’s probably best to just do things together in the City. Thinking about Space Needle/Chihuly Museum, local food and brews/wine, and another couple of activities.

Thanks for more ideas! Has anyone toured the Amazon spheres? Or Theo’s Chocolatier?

Given our short visit (48 hours, arrive Fri afternoon and leave Sunday early evening), we agreed it’s probably best to just do things together in the City. Thinking about Space Needle/Chihuly Museum, local food and brews/wine, and another couple of activities.
If you are going to be in the Seattle Center area add the Gates Foundation to your list. There is no entrance fee and in their welcome center you can see all the projects they are funding world-wide. It is fascinating.

Theo Chocolates is in the Fremont district ('The Center of the Universe'), about 5 miles north of the Seattle Center. You get a tour of their factory, and many, many, many samples of chocolate. So you'd have to figure travel time (and parking in Fremont!) into your time in Seattle. It is very interesting as they do discuss how cocoa is grown, harvested, etc., and their approach to sourcing the cocoa for their chocolates. Did I mention the free samples? ? ?

- Rita

If you are going to be in the Seattle Center area add the Gates Foundation to your list. There is no entrance fee and in their welcome center you can see all the projects they are funding world-wide. It is fascinating.

Theo Chocolates is in the Fremont district ('The Center of the Universe'), about 5 miles north of the Seattle Center. You get a tour of their factory, and many, many, many samples of chocolate. So you'd have to figure travel time (and parking in Fremont!) into your time in Seattle. It is very interesting as they do discuss how cocoa is grown, harvested, etc., and their approach to sourcing the cocoa for their chocolates. Did I mention the free samples? ? ?

- Rita

Sound fun, and thanks for the Gates Foundation idea. Will look into that.

I would suggest trying to get an Air BnB in either Belltown or Lower Queen Anne, and if the weather permits walking the trail along the waterfront that starts at the Olympic Sculpture Park. Lunch at the Space Needle or someplace with a water view downtown, depending on direction of the walk. Chihuly museum after lunch. Maybe also the butterfly exhibit at the Science Center (if it is open in the winter -- haven't been for awhile). Monorail back to starting point -- yeah, it is kind of cheesy and overpriced, but it was the transportation mode of the future back when we had the World's Fair!

See what is on exhibition at the Seattle Art Museum if you like art -- it is right near Pike Place Market and they get some good visiting exhibits in addition to the permanent collection.

We have a great symphony and the opera, and lots of theater if you like those things. Also some great classic movie theaters. And lots of great food of all varieties!

Hope you enjoy your visit....

Does the sun come up or is it perpetual darkness?

According to google calendar, on Jan 1 sunrise will be at 7:57am and sunset at 4:31 pm, by January 15th those times will be 7:52 and 4:47 respectively.

Today's times were 7:54 and 4:23.

We typically get at least a few days early in the new year when the clouds part and we have glorious sun. Hope your weekend coincides with that respite!

Back
Top Bottom