Join Early Retirement Today

Seattle / ONP area questions
Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seattle / ONP area questions

Hi all,

Am doing some planning for a trip to the Seattle area and need some input:

1. Need an RV park either in the Seattle area or off I-90 to the east of Seattle. Needs to hold a 33-footer. Swimming pool would be nice. Scenic would be a bonus. Price not really a factor.

2. Recommendations for ONP camping spots, again for a 33 foot RV. So far I'm tentatively planning on Hoh and/or Lake Quinault. Scenic, near rainforests / day hiking would be ideal.

3. Boating / jetski rental in/around Seattle area. Want to be able to rent a speed boat or jetskis for a couple of hours or a day. Would prefer some place that is either right on the water or helps us and the watercraft reach the water. Not interested in pulling the watercraft behind the RV :-)

Thanks all!

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #2

Also, any really nice beautiful golf courses anywhere in the Seattle / Poulsbo / ONP area?

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #3

SecondCor521;

Here is the ONP website for campsites Olympic National Park - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park Service). Not all can accomodate a 33' rig, those that do it is noted as such in the "comments". All are first come first served EXCEPT Kalaloch on the coast, that requires reservations well in advance. Neither the Hoh site nor Graves Creek (Quinalt) have sites for >21'. Also note the Graves creek road will be closed starting Aug 10 for major road repair work. I know there are private RV parks around but I'm not familiar with them. If you want any advice about day hikes let me know. We are familiar with most of the trails on the E and N aspect (hiking up to Marmot Pass tomorrow), have hiked the Hoh once and it is definitely worth it - even if it is raining.

In terms of Golf courses there are 2 on Bainbridge Island which is en route to Poulsbo if you are taking the ferry from Seattle to the Peninsula. Wing Point (Home - Wing Point Golf & Country Club) and Meadowmeer: Meadowmeer Golf & Country Club

The weather is finally warming up but still a little cooler than normal. Hope you catch some nice weather.

DD
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #4

DD,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll be there next week, and yes, we're planning on taking the ferry across.

Day hike suggestions are welcome. The kid is interested in rainforests, so Hoh is definitely on the list.

2Cor521
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unfortunately, very few RV parks in the immediate Seattle area. The closest is this one Trailers Inn RV Park. I have stayed here but it is pretty much an asphalt parking lot. Facilities are clean and work. This property is probably 20-30 min from downtown depending on time. The commute starts around7:00 am and goes to 9:00 most mornings. It is just off i-90, East of Lake Wash.
There is a KOA park to the South of Seattle in Kent valley. I think it is over-priced especially in the Summer. Never stayed there but it has all the KOA stuff. It will take you a good 30 minutes to make downtown from here--about 10 minutes to get to I-5 and then North for 20 minutes.
For other choices, check out RV Park Reviews--we use it as a primary resource for our trips. RV Park Reviews :: Washington
Nwsteve
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

I know Bainbridge Island well and my husband is a golfer. The nicest public course is: Washington Golf Courses - Gold Mountain Golf Club - Bremerton, WA. If you are half billy-goat try: The Resort at Port Ludlow - golf. marina. inn. home. My husband didn't think much of the Meadowmeer course, something to the effect of a 9-hole course made 18 by having two tees and two flags on each whatever... Evidently a developer sold homes based on a 18 hole course then ran into $ problems and sold half the course land. Wing Point is a private course, you need to be a guest of a member.

When we were considering buying an RV I purchased Moon's Oregon Camping guide at Costco in Oregon. It is fantastic and they include details such as the length of RV accommodated, and a scenic rating. I checked on Amazon and find that there is a Washington Moon equivalent on Amazon. BUY IT!

I would not try to park an RV in Seattle core area! Nightmare!!! Find a place to camp (or park in a residential area) where you can take transit or rent a car.

The best rain forest experience is the Olympic National Park.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
DD,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll be there next week, and yes, we're planning on taking the ferry across.

Day hike suggestions are welcome. The kid is interested in rainforests, so Hoh is definitely on the list.

2Cor521
The Hoh is the ultimate rain forest hike and the grade isn't bad. For others how many miles and feet elevation gain are you comfortable with?

DD
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Thanks!

Well, the same kid badly sprained his ankle yesterday on Mom's trampoline, so we're probably looking at anything that can be done on crutches :-(

So probably less than 2-3 miles, and mild grades -- less than 700-800 ft vertical maybe?

2Cor521
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Thanks!

Well, the same kid badly sprained his ankle yesterday on Mom's trampoline, so we're probably looking at anything that can be done on crutches :-(

So probably less than 2-3 miles, and mild grades -- less than 700-800 ft vertical maybe?

2Cor521
Try Sol Duc.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Try Sol Duc.
Good recommendation. The Hoh is still good. The Elwha is out as the roads are closed for dam removal. Most of the ones I know on the E side are accessed by long, narrow FS roads, not sure you want to take the RV there. Here was our view yesterday from above Marmot Pass looking west:

6003684563_e9e28b98ed_b.jpg

DD
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #11

SecondCor521 FYI:

Quote:
One-Hour Delays Expected Along Upper Hoh Road for County Bridge Repair
The Hoh Rain Forest of Olympic National Park will remain open throughout
the repair work at Willoughby Creek Bridge, but some traffic delays are
anticipated. According to Jefferson County officials, the repair work will
require one-hour closures occurring on four days, between August 8 and
August 12 and between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
DD