Join Early Retirement Today

Seattle trip
Old 12-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seattle trip

Hey all - please provide any suggestions as to things to do and places to eat near downtown Seattle that you would recommend.

Below are the places/activities I am planning:

Space Needle
Chihuly Glass
Pike's Place (w/ food tour)
Seattle Great Wheel
Sky View Observatory
Ferry to Bainbridge Island

I opted not to purchase the CityPass this time since we are going to forgo the aquarium and museums.
pihwoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Elliot's Oyster House on the waterfront near Pike's Place. $$$ but with it if you like oysters, IMO.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ballard Locks, Red Mill Burgers, Seahawks game.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

Got to see the "Gum Wall". South end of Pikes Place Market.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Washington Park Arboretum
Gates Foundation Visitor Center

And if you change your mind about museums.....

Seattle Art Museum
Museum of Flight (Boeing Field)
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Got to see the "Gum Wall". South end of Pikes Place Market.
Gum got cleaned up last month, can't remember the exact tonnage. Residents are barely started in restoring it, so not very impressive at the moment, but you could have the rare occasion of adding to real, bare wall.

Fremont troll is neat. Real neat.

Underground tour is cool; couple that with the Museum Of History And Industry (MOHAI) and you get a real feel for the relatively short history of the city.

Crab Pot is wonderful, but I personally avoid it. I always gorge and feel ill for about two days afterwards.

Dukes is another great seafood place. The two best Dukes, scenery wise, are on Ruston, near the Chihully Museum in Tacoma, and on Alki Beach in West Seattle.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

+1 on the Underground tour
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #8

Brooklyn Steak and Seafood-Happy hour 4-6
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
gone traveling

Museum of Flight is a must.

Be sure to bring plenty of change for the bums.
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #10

If you like chocolate, especially dark chocolate, you might enjoy a factory tour at Theo's in the Fremont neighborhood (which has some interesting shops & restaurants). The tour costs $10 and you should reserve it online. Or, you can simply visit the factory store for free, and there have been lots of free samples available to try when I've been there.

https://www.theochocolate.com/factory-tour
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post

Fremont troll is neat. Real neat.

Underground tour is cool; couple that with the Museum Of History And Industry (MOHAI) and you get a real feel for the relatively short history of the city.
I second the troll and the underground tour for newbies. Since we like wine l as well as micro brews, you should consider a wine tour in Woodinville, do the commercial district as well as the roundabout area. >120 represented I believe. Drive out I-90 to Snoqualimie falls and have lunch, or drive a little further up to the ski areas on the pass. If your active, do the 40+ mile Burke Gilman trail on bike or blades, it ties into the Sammamish River trail and ends in Redmond (Microsoft city)

Best Thai food-northern style Thai in Kirkland at Isarn, or have dinner on the lake at one of the good seafood places, much more fun than Seattle downtown, and a lot easier to park.

If staying downtown, check out one of Tom Douglas's restaurants, I think there are 5 of them each unique, or if you want culture, check out Capital Hill area for some higher end bistros.

Check out the Act Theater for current shows, great theater in the round with contemporary plays.

I could go one, but what interests you?
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Brooklyn Steak and Seafood-Happy hour 4-6
This is very good. Always a high energy, fun place. Another excellent happy hour is Blue Acre Seafood. It's at the corner of 7th Avenue and either Olive Way or Stewart, I always wander around until I see it.

Most of these downtown Happy hours are more fun during the week because they get downtown workers and business travelers. Another fun place is Shuckers Oyster Bar in the Fairmont Olympic Hotel. This is smaller and quieter, but also very nice. All of these mainly feature oysters, mussels, etc. There are good restaurants at all three, though Shuckers and Blue Acre feature seafood.

For steaks, I recommend El Gaucho. Downtown Seattle restaurants are not cheap.The poster above mentions Capitol Hill. An excellent Tom Douglas restaurant up here is Olives and Anchovies, on 15th near Madison. Really, there are many good restaurants around central Seattle, but none are cheap. You didn't mention price as an issue though.

Ha
Old 12-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #13

DW and I were there for a few days last summer. No need for me to echo some of the prior recommendations. But I will chime in, if you are in that area, to recommend Salty's at Redondo Beach.
We had Dungeness Crab (we picked it fresh from the tank) and wow was it delicious.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I notice that you mention a ferry to Bainbridge Island. Whenever I have out of town guests we go on the ferry to Bremerton. It is a little longer, and a lot more scenic trip. In the winter though, you will likely stay inside because it is cold on deck! Usually there is a decommissioned destroyer open for a tour.

Both ferries leave from the main downtown ferry terminal.

Ha
Old 12-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

If the weather is nice I recommend walking around the campus at the University of Washington. Not downtown, but not far by bus or car. If you change your mind about museums, my favorite is the Seattle Asian Art Museum, it is located in Volunteer Park, which is beautiful in itself.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is very good. Always a high energy, fun place. Another excellent happy hour is Blue Acre Seafood. It's at the corner of 7th Avenue and either Olive Way or Stewart, I always wander around until I see it.

Most of these downtown Happy hours are more fun during the week because they get downtown workers and business travelers. Another fun place is Shuckers Oyster Bar in the Fairmont Olympic Hotel. This is smaller and quieter, but also very nice. All of these mainly feature oysters, mussels, etc. There are good restaurants at all three, though Shuckers and Blue Acre feature seafood.

For steaks, I recommend El Gaucho. Downtown Seattle restaurants are not cheap.The poster above mentions Capitol Hill. An excellent Tom Douglas restaurant up here is Olives and Anchovies, on 15th near Madison. Really, there are many good restaurants around central Seattle, but none are cheap. You didn't mention price as an issue though.

Ha
I misspoke. Olives and Anchovies ownership is Ethan Stowell.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Do the Argosy locks cruise from downtown Seattle to Lake Union. Worth the money IMO and you get to experience going through the locks.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is great! Thanks for the suggestions. There were a couple options that we were considering like the Argosy and Underground Tour, so will have to look into those again.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I notice that you mention a ferry to Bainbridge Island. Whenever I have out of town guests we go on the ferry to Bremerton. It is a little longer, and a lot more scenic trip. In the winter though, you will likely stay inside because it is cold on deck! Usually there is a decommissioned destroyer open for a tour.

Both ferries leave from the main downtown ferry terminal.

Ha

Bainbridge seemed the most popular when researching since many people mentioned it in their reviews. They have a crepe establishment that I would like to try too.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihwoah View Post
Bainbridge seemed the most popular when researching since many people mentioned it in their reviews. They have a crepe establishment that I would like to try too.
But it is only 35 minutes long!! FWIW there is an indoor seating area on the top deck that is 'silent', seriously silent. Dare not use a phone or turn up your IPod such that it can be heard by your seatmate. The top deck outdoor is used as a fast walking track by those who want exercise. The cabin on the main deck is very social. The ladies room on the main deck works miracles in the morning Seattle bound..

The scenery on Bremerton Ferry ride is much more interesting.

Same price for both rides. Pay westbound only.

My favorite salmon house is near the U Dub: Ivar's, 401 NE Northlake Way, Seattle, WA.