Join Early Retirement Today

Short Term Renting Traveling State To State?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Short Term Renting Traveling State To State?

I'm planning on touring the country for a year, spending 2-3 months in several states each along the way. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about finding housing in each instance.

I've considered apartments, since they can be had month-to-month, or on 3 months leases. But trying to coordinate being about to move out of one in one state and directly into another may be difficult.

I've thought about trying extended stay hotels, but the prices I'm seeing are basically hotel rates for an extended period. I've been told there are extended stay motels, but I haven't really been able to find many sites for these to compare rates.

Has anyone done this? Any advice?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We plan on doing exactly what you are talking about in a couple years when our son graduates HS. We've done some research in the past but not lately. Try Googling "corporate apartments" or "furnished Apartments". We found a lot of great places.

Also, try AirBNB or VRBO. They will be much nicer and cheaper than an extended stay hotel.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I second VRBO.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

If you're worried about coordinating moves on exactly the right dates, you may be able to get rentals for the larger periods of time, and use some short term alternatives such as hotels or short term vacation rentals if you need something for a few days/weeks between longer stays.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #5

I agree with the VRBO suggestion. I also agree with googling corporate apartments - but I've found that many corporate/temporary housing apartments are listed on VRBO.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

How about a fifth wheel? Or a class A Motorhome? Carry your own house along.

There are also extended stay hotels and cheap motels.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #7

Air BnB has been good for me.

Charles Kuralt's "America" is a book about spending a month in each of 12 places in the U.S.--the best places to be in that given month. It's available on Amazon.com used for a very low price.

We always wanted to follow his 12 month journey.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 Airbnb and Vrbo. Lots of places offer discounts for weekly and monthly rentals, and you can contact the owners to negotiate additional discounts for multi-month rentals.

We had generally good experiences renting through airbnb and vrbo in 4 different places for a total of 7 weeks in Mexico.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
We plan on doing exactly what you are talking about in a couple years when our son graduates HS. We've done some research in the past but not lately. Try Googling "corporate apartments" or "furnished Apartments". We found a lot of great places.

Also, try AirBNB or VRBO. They will be much nicer and cheaper than an extended stay hotel.

You can probably try negotiating your rate on on airbnb if you are there for an extended period

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 AM   #10

Doing this right now and using airbnb for monthly rentals. Haven't used vrbo but I guess that could also work well. Airbnb has the advantage of not needing to sign leases and provides some protection as they intermediate payments. Airbnb also doesn't generally require security deposits.

Extended stay / hotels doesn't really work for us due to a dog. Also the location may not be as desireable (we'd like to be a residential neighborhood)

If we plan to stay for more than 6 months we'll sign a regular lease if possible (get short term housing before arriving and then arranging long term locally).

I've also noticed that many properties are on both airbnb and vrbo. I think airbnb might be slightly more expensive due to fee structure but I prefer it for convenience.

We've also managed to save some money by arranging family /camping trips to occur between rental stays.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #11

Just be aware when using Airbnb that any rentals over 28 days automatcally switch to the 'long term' cancellation policy, even if the listing shows a more liberal cancellation policy. Any cancellations after the reservation is made will cost the renter the first months rent.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Charles Kuralt's America .. he had a lover in each location?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #13

The dog will complicate things quite a bit, dog friendly places are few and far between,as are many extended stays hotels/apartments.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The dog will complicate things quite a bit, dog friendly places are few and far between,as are many extended stays hotels/apartments.

For extended stays, Marriott Residence Inns are dog-friendly. We use those as often as we can while traveling with our 3. However, we prefer VRBO for houses with fenced yards. We have always found accommodations for our 3-4 at a time posse.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
For extended stays, Marriott Residence Inns are dog-friendly. We use those as often as we can while traveling with our 3. However, we prefer VRBO for houses with fenced yards. We have always found accommodations for our 3-4 at a time posse.

Do you incur extra charges at the Residence Inns, I noticed some of them have a per day pet charge? Just saying having pets will filter out quite a few options.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Do you incur extra charges at the Residence Inns, I noticed some of them have a per day pet charge? Just saying having pets will filter out quite a few options.

Residence Inns have per stay (not per pet) fees, which have run $75. We have a Marriott rewards card, and sometimes those fees have been waived. I always call to confirm once I've reserved online and make sure they're OK with 3. They always are.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We booked our first month long vacation about a month ago via VRBO. We were able to message the owner and offer a reduced monthly rate and they accepted. This was a rate less than their published monthly rate. You don't get what you don't ask for.