Sleeping in airports

Articles like this give me hope people will someday cease looking down on us RV types who spend an occasional night in a Walmart parking lot...

I spent a night in Vancouver BC airport in June and agree with the high rating.

Comfortable seats, clean restrooms and water fountains, electric outlets, food and beverage machines, no hassles from security, fairly quiet until after 5am.

You think those pilots dump the black tanks on those RV's? Or do the same guys pulling the little aircraft "honey wagons" drive by the RV's and mix the black with the blue water...:D

Still, think of home being a parking lot, with everybody and his brother parking all around you. Doesn't seem too cozy. Or maybe I need to be more open minded. :)

Yep, you need to get out more - maybe fly somewhere to gain some new perspective on life.

Can you volunteer for some sort of work-related travel before you retire? :cool: :D

EAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead::bat::eek::yuk: (tee hee! :D)

Um, no thank you.... :LOL:

RV's at Walmart are luxury. I was surprised to find out many airline pilots live in RV's at airport parking lots.

LAX parking lot is home away from home for airline workers -- latimes.com
Amazing story. I can see the sense of it though.
Less commuting -> More rest -> Safer piloting.
But why doesn't the airport build a temporary quarters building for employees only, like they have on military bases for military and civilians on official business? :confused:
Safer for the airports by controlling access and so much easier to police once occupied.

I spent the night in the Atlanta airport Tuesday night and I DO NOT recommend it.

It was cold, noisy and the seats are not comfortable after awhile. Airport employees did give us blankets and a pillow and each of us got a travel pack. The travel pack had a Tshirt (for extra warmth I assume), toothpaste, toothbrush and other toiletries. That did help. CNN was on all night loudly playing and the night workers clean the floors and vacuum. It's noisy.

I was very glad to be rebooked and fly out of there yesterday. There were a number of flights that came in late so many people slept there that night. It must be fairly common.

LAX is awful. Crowded, busy, and still feels strangely isolated (to me, not safe). Awkward seats, minimal floor space, kinda grungy... ick.

I slept in the Houston airport once. It was pretty nice! I also agree with the Schiphol recommendation -- very comfortable airport, and really nice bathrooms.

If you are just a backpacker looking for a free place to crash out the airport security will have you on your way very quickly if you dont have a ticket,also most airports i've seen are not really set up for some one walking to as they are usually surrounded by expressways.If you are changing planes and have a big lay over then its a great idea to save money.

Amazing story. I can see the sense of it though.
Less commuting -> More rest -> Safer piloting.
But why doesn't the airport build a temporary quarters building for employees only, like they have on military bases for military and civilians on official business?
I'm all for whatever makes the pilots well-rested, comfortable and fired up about flying us all to wherever and making a nice landing at the end. Nobody wants a tired, grumpy, and unhappy pilot.

Caught a flight in Las Vegas yesterday that had a crew change, and the incoming plane was delayed. So I found myself standing in the jetway next to the new captain (older guy with stripes on his epaulets, talking with the co-pilot (young guy with no stripes) who he had just met in the terminal a few minutes earlier. Older guy was telling him about his back problems and how he almost took a medical retirement two years earlier, but stayed because "it's all about the people you fly with".

So, I got a good feeling, the dude steering the bus likes what he does. Even if his back is a freaking disaster and he's in pain.

But, maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. Because as I walked into the plane I heard him lament how the job was just not the same anymore. The company's lack of trust in it's pilots, poor working conditions, etc.

Oh great, Mr. Grumpy the disgruntled employee is flying today! And his backup is the dude who hasn't been around long enough to get some stripy things on his shirt.

Many moons ago (1980s), I knew 2 flight attendants (a.k.a. stewardesses) who would now be in their mid 60s.
The stories they told me about the forward behavior and rudeness of some of the passengers just blew my mind. So I asked them why they stayed in the business if it was that bad.
They essentially said that for every bad passenger, there were so many others who talked to them like people, and said nice things like TY and please. And the travel was a lot of fun. In those days, they could layover for a day and enjoy the city they were in.
I doubt the same could be said today. :nonono:

So I asked them why they stayed in the business if it was that bad.
On the same flight I sat across the aisle from some flight attendants that had just got off and were flying home. One woman was talking to a foreign couple about her job. She had a laundry list of what was bad about the job. Regular hourly wage only kicks in once the door to the airplane closes and they get like $2 an hour for everything else. An extra $5, for the flight, if the plane is full. Years of working a miserable schedule, sleeping in hotels 6 nights a week, etc.

I once briefly thought of having a part time retirement j*b working for an airline so I could get the almost-free travel, but I don't think it's worth it.

I once briefly thought of having a part time retirement j*b working for an airline so I could get the almost-free travel, but I don't think it's worth it.
I have three family members who work for airlines, one does scheduling, one checks people in and one works in the phone center. They all get the travel benefit but with the airlines flying full planes, it is much harder to get around for free.
I helps to work in a hub town, one of our programmers quit to work for an airline for those flight benefits.

Because as I walked into the plane I heard him lament how the job was just not the same anymore. The company's lack of trust in it's pilots, poor working conditions, etc.

Oh great, Mr. Grumpy the disgruntled employee is flying today! And his backup is the dude who hasn't been around long enough to get some stripy things on his shirt.
A bit off topic, but yesterday I saw a very old woman with bad cancer, accompanied by her gen-x son who was irate and had antagonized every previous doctor she had seen -- really out of control and I was forewarned. For whatever reason he took a liking to me and said more than once that he can't stand young doctors, or how the old ones like me at least know how to explain things, blah blah. All I really did was lend him an ear, refrain from antagonizing him and maybe paid him a compliment or two on how well he understood this complex situation.

I learned from my nurse that he was originally scheduled to see one of my very capable but young (40ish) colleagues and the nurses conspired to swap him with another patient so that the trouble-maker's mom saw me instead. The gist of it, yes, was that he'd do better with a more experienced doctor.

I guess we all get to where we can't dodge it any more, how we are perceived as seriously "senior." I hope your co-pilot took advantage of working with the cynical and achey senior pilot - probably could learn a lot.

Back
Top Bottom