Join Early Retirement Today

Sleeping in airports
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sleeping in airports

Heard about this site on CNN International. Thought some fellow LBYM travelers might enjoy checking it out.

Airport Reviews | Budget Traveller Guide to Sleeping in Airports

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Articles like this give me hope people will someday cease looking down on us RV types who spend an occasional night in a Walmart parking lot...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #3

RV's at Walmart are luxury. I was surprised to find out many airline pilots live in RV's at airport parking lots.

LAX parking lot is home away from home for airline workers -- latimes.com

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I spent a night in Vancouver BC airport in June and agree with the high rating.

Comfortable seats, clean restrooms and water fountains, electric outlets, food and beverage machines, no hassles from security, fairly quiet until after 5am.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
RV's at Walmart are luxury. I was surprised to find out many airline pilots live in RV's at airport parking lots.
There has GOT to be more to life than that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
There has GOT to be more to life than that.
You think those pilots dump the black tanks on those RV's? Or do the same guys pulling the little aircraft "honey wagons" drive by the RV's and mix the black with the blue water...

Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You think those pilots dump the black tanks on those RV's? Or do the same guys pulling the little aircraft "honey wagons" drive by the RV's and mix the black with the blue water...
Still, think of home being a parking lot, with everybody and his brother parking all around you. Doesn't seem too cozy. Or maybe I need to be more open minded.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Or maybe I need to be more open minded.
Yep, you need to get out more - maybe fly somewhere to gain some new perspective on life.

Can you volunteer for some sort of work-related travel before you retire?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Yep, you need to get out more - maybe fly somewhere to gain some new perspective on life.

EAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (tee hee! )

Um, no thank you....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post

LAX parking lot is home away from home for airline workers -- latimes.com
Amazing story. I can see the sense of it though.
Less commuting -> More rest -> Safer piloting.
But why doesn't the airport build a temporary quarters building for employees only, like they have on military bases for military and civilians on official business?
Safer for the airports by controlling access and so much easier to police once occupied.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #11

I spent the night in the Atlanta airport Tuesday night and I DO NOT recommend it.

It was cold, noisy and the seats are not comfortable after awhile. Airport employees did give us blankets and a pillow and each of us got a travel pack. The travel pack had a Tshirt (for extra warmth I assume), toothpaste, toothbrush and other toiletries. That did help. CNN was on all night loudly playing and the night workers clean the floors and vacuum. It's noisy.

I was very glad to be rebooked and fly out of there yesterday. There were a number of flights that came in late so many people slept there that night. It must be fairly common.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #12

LAX is awful. Crowded, busy, and still feels strangely isolated (to me, not safe). Awkward seats, minimal floor space, kinda grungy... ick.

I slept in the Houston airport once. It was pretty nice! I also agree with the Schiphol recommendation -- very comfortable airport, and really nice bathrooms.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #13

Whatever happened to those little sleeping pods that you could rent in airports? I havent seen those in a while.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Maybe you could witness something like this

Naked passenger arrested on U.S. flight - News- msnbc.com
Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Maybe you could witness something like this

Naked passenger arrested on U.S. flight - News- msnbc.com
Ah, for the old days when air travel was less common, and when exhibitionists had only an audience of one upon encountering a woman or girl alone in a back alley. Now, they can snare a captive audience of hundreds on an airplane!

I'll pass, thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #16

If you are just a backpacker looking for a free place to crash out the airport security will have you on your way very quickly if you dont have a ticket,also most airports i've seen are not really set up for some one walking to as they are usually surrounded by expressways.If you are changing planes and have a big lay over then its a great idea to save money.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Amazing story. I can see the sense of it though.
Less commuting -> More rest -> Safer piloting.
But why doesn't the airport build a temporary quarters building for employees only, like they have on military bases for military and civilians on official business?
I'm all for whatever makes the pilots well-rested, comfortable and fired up about flying us all to wherever and making a nice landing at the end. Nobody wants a tired, grumpy, and unhappy pilot.

Caught a flight in Las Vegas yesterday that had a crew change, and the incoming plane was delayed. So I found myself standing in the jetway next to the new captain (older guy with stripes on his epaulets, talking with the co-pilot (young guy with no stripes) who he had just met in the terminal a few minutes earlier. Older guy was telling him about his back problems and how he almost took a medical retirement two years earlier, but stayed because "it's all about the people you fly with".

So, I got a good feeling, the dude steering the bus likes what he does. Even if his back is a freaking disaster and he's in pain.

But, maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. Because as I walked into the plane I heard him lament how the job was just not the same anymore. The company's lack of trust in it's pilots, poor working conditions, etc.

Oh great, Mr. Grumpy the disgruntled employee is flying today! And his backup is the dude who hasn't been around long enough to get some stripy things on his shirt.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Many moons ago (1980s), I knew 2 flight attendants (a.k.a. stewardesses) who would now be in their mid 60s.
The stories they told me about the forward behavior and rudeness of some of the passengers just blew my mind. So I asked them why they stayed in the business if it was that bad.
They essentially said that for every bad passenger, there were so many others who talked to them like people, and said nice things like TY and please. And the travel was a lot of fun. In those days, they could layover for a day and enjoy the city they were in.
I doubt the same could be said today.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #19

Quote:
So I asked them why they stayed in the business if it was that bad.
On the same flight I sat across the aisle from some flight attendants that had just got off and were flying home. One woman was talking to a foreign couple about her job. She had a laundry list of what was bad about the job. Regular hourly wage only kicks in once the door to the airplane closes and they get like $2 an hour for everything else. An extra $5, for the flight, if the plane is full. Years of working a miserable schedule, sleeping in hotels 6 nights a week, etc.

I once briefly thought of having a part time retirement j*b working for an airline so I could get the almost-free travel, but I don't think it's worth it.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I once briefly thought of having a part time retirement j*b working for an airline so I could get the almost-free travel, but I don't think it's worth it.
I have three family members who work for airlines, one does scheduling, one checks people in and one works in the phone center. They all get the travel benefit but with the airlines flying full planes, it is much harder to get around for free.
I helps to work in a hub town, one of our programmers quit to work for an airline for those flight benefits.