Sleeping with Oars

Brat, I went before I read your advice. Let's just say that it was like the first day in TKD class when I didn't know what a wide punch was. :) I made the mistake of getting on an Island Packet as my first boat tour. I thought, "Hey, this is very nice." Then I looked at the price tag: starting at $540,000.

My reason for looking at the boats is for living aboard in case I find a job downtown and don't want to commute 35 miles each way to work everyday, so, to all the real sailors out there, sorry, but I'm looking at these boats as floating studios.

I'm amazed by the keel on the Island Packet compared to those on a Hunter and Saber. Those latter boats' keels look like they were bolted on as an after thought. Other than that, I didn't learn much.

OK, you don't need a single hand sail set-up (but if you find one that meets your other needs re-sale will be easier).

See if you can get a list of vendors from the Boat Show. It should list the Surveyor exhibitors, lacking that check out your Yellow Pages. You can also do the reverse of the boat yard search.. visit boat yards and ask for the names of Surveyors in the area. After you write down their names ask them who they think is the most through.

Actually, the boat won't be your biggest challenge. Finding a marina that accepts a live aboard may prove difficult. You can always find a boat to fit the slip. There are some marinas that are condos where to buy the slip you need to buy the boat.

Be sure that the pump-out is convenient.

Back
Top Bottom