Join Early Retirement Today
Bumping thread to report spectacular "success" that was worst ride ever
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
Bumping thread to report spectacular "success" that was worst ride ever

Alright. Less than one-half of the points awarded for one credit pull (BA card) got turned into economy plus seats that led to an "involuntary" upgrade to business (club world) for LHR-IAD. That's a net plus of about $12,000 for the two seats.

There's a long version and a short version of what came next. This is the short.

Never having aspired to club world, I had not realized that 2 out of the 8 pods per row in business class on this particular BA plane are a double that basically turn into a very narrow, though 6 foot long, bed private from the adjoining pods and the aisle. One of our seats was in the double pod shared by an English man in his 60s who tensed when I sat down. (Gave my 15-yo daughter the adjoining single aisle pod.) Turns out that his wife was in the aisle pod on the other side of the double and I'm about to spend the night so to speak with her husband. While I am hardly a glamour puss I had managed to be wearing a rather dramatic long skirt and fresh linen blouse with my hair twisted up into a bandana.

For our particular double pod and adjoining singles what would have worked well for my daughter and I and our new "best friends" would for me and the husband to continue to share the double over dinner chatting with our loved ones through the windows then at bedtime for me to switch with the wife away from my daughter giving them "the bed."

This didn't happen. The wife promptly set about trying to find a new place to get me *out* of that pod. This - along with other switches being made by other passengers - led to a game rather like musical chairs. A rather impatient man I'd never seen showed up for my daughter's seat *now.* Sometimes flight attendants were involved, sometimes not. As a up-gradee I kept agreeing to whatever a passenger wanted. This approach alas did not always work well for what one passenger wanted could conflict with another.

My daughter and I ended up back together when a late-arriving passenger gave his seat to my DD (who sitting there with her stuffed animal sucking on a lollipop looked younger than her age). He seemed to be the only "white knight." The moves involved one passenger (English wife) making faces at the purser behind his back thru her pod window then slamming down the privacy screen - outright fibbing (alas again the English wife who *was* determined). Others were unnecessarily stubborn or sowed confusion by misspeaking.

Other than the fact my daughter got her long-expressed wish to ride in a pod, I'd have far rather kept our original economy plus seats back in the proverbial cattle car. Would have been more than happy with the extra legroom in plus.

EveryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.
The southwest companion pass thru credit cards is back on. You need both the personal card AND the business card. Million mile secrets has the blog post with links to the cards. Also, he has information about applying for business cards.

ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
I have managed over the years to acquire and use some frequent flier miles but you guys are in a league above me. FF miles made the trip to Peru affordable for DH and me. We also scored a trip to Seattle with FF miles. Now I am sure Haha is not impressed, but Seattle was a big deal for us. I will be checking out the links in the previous posts to this thread.

FIYes is online now   Reply With Quote