Join Early Retirement Today

South Florida/Keys 6 Day Trip...Ideas, Places to Eat and Stay.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

South Florida/Keys 6 Day Trip...Ideas, Places to Eat and Stay.

All,

Looking to take a 5 or 6 day trip in South Florida/Keys. Likely gonna fly into Miami or Ft-Lauderdale, rent a convertible, visit Miami area and keys.

That's all I got planned so far and open to ideas.

Thanks in advance!

E86S54

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You into freshwater fishing? If so, consider a guided bass fishing trip on Lake Okeechobee out of Roland Martin's place in Clewiston.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

In Miami hit the Vizcaya Museum and Miami Beach during the day and Lincoln Road at night. If you're interested in seeing animals Monkey Jungle is worth a stop.

Spend a day in Key Largo to go snorkeling at John Pennekamp State park.

A couple days in Key West for the night life and the Hemingway House.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In Key West stay in a guest house . We stayed in the Chelsa house and it was a hoot plus walking distance from all the restaurants . Make sure to go to the sunset Celebration in Mallory Square .
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Administrator

We have stayed at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada (about halfway between Miami and Key West) probably half a dozen times. We really like it quite a bit. Get an oceanfront bungalow so you can watch the sun rise from your bed.

We usually fly in to the Marathon airport. It is a good central location for trips down to Key West or up to the Everglades.

Their website:

Florida Keys Luxury Resort

"We ought not to be embarrassed about appreciating the truth and obtaining it wherever it comes from, even if it comes from races distant and nations different from us. Nothing should be dearer to the seeker of truth than the truth itself, and there is no deterioration of the truth, nor belittling either of one who speaks or conveys it.." -- Ya'qub ibn Ishaq al-Kindi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We visited the keys a few years ago. There is a state beach about halfway to Key West, Bahia Honda state park, that was quite nice. We also went on a jet ski trip around Key West - we liked it so much we later bought a jet ski when we got home.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was in Key West about 4 years ago with my son. We chartered a sailboat for about 3 hours which was really nice. We did the tourist thing, shopping, eating tram tour of the old town.

We stayed on Front Street which is on the waterfront in old town right where the cruise ships dock. It was a Hyatt or Hilton, however, I think that it is part of another chain now.

The drive down from Fort Lauderdale was really nice.

Have fun!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #8

In addition to the Hemingway House, I enjoyed touring the Truman Winter White House in Key West. In the spirit of the po-boy thread, excellent seafood abounds in the Keys, too. There are as many dining choices as lodging options.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

Hogfish Bar is a gnarly restaurant you will love or hate. Half tourists, half fishermen. Let's just say it's "different."

We loved it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Administrator

Louie's Backyard is a great place to eat in Key West. Find out the time of sunset and book a table on the deck so you can watch it while you eat.

Key West fine dining with a view |Louie's Backyard

"We ought not to be embarrassed about appreciating the truth and obtaining it wherever it comes from, even if it comes from races distant and nations different from us. Nothing should be dearer to the seeker of truth than the truth itself, and there is no deterioration of the truth, nor belittling either of one who speaks or conveys it.." -- Ya'qub ibn Ishaq al-Kindi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote