Join Early Retirement Today

South Pacific
Old 11-27-2016, 03:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

South Pacific

We are planning a tour of the South Pacific in 2017. I have been thinking about whether we can cover what we want to cover on a cruise but it seems to be too difficult and there are potentially too many days lost at sea.

We are coming from Europe so my plan is to buy an around the world flight ticket and then do the following:

1. Fly to Easter Island and spend 4-5 days there.
2. Fly from Easter Island to Tahiti for a further 7-10 days.
3. Fly to Auckland and spend 4-5 days on the North Island (we may decide to skip this)
3. Fly to Sydney where we will pick up a 10 day cruise.
4. Fly home.

We've already traveled a lot in Sydney and Australia in general so no need to spend a lot of time there.

Any thoughts on our itinerary and or places we could / should stop off on the way there or back?
Cap_Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree that a world or Pacific cruise is not the way to go. As you said, much time lost at sea and it is difficult to get an itinerary to match just your interests. I would go to New Zealand's South Island. The scenery is stunning.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

South Pacific

If you can work the schedule, take a 7 day cruise on the Paul Gauguin to visit Moorea, Bora Bora, etc,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tahiti February 2007.pdf (594.0 KB, 15 views)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
If you can work the schedule, take a 7 day cruise on the Paul Gauguin to visit Moorea, Bora Bora, etc,
Thanks for sharing.

I like the look of that although it may be a bit rich for my blood!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I agree that a world or Pacific cruise is not the way to go. As you said, much time lost at sea and it is difficult to get an itinerary to match just your interests. I would go to New Zealand's South Island. The scenery is stunning.
I agree. Depends what you like but we drove through both the north and south islands. We enjoyed it all, but if I only had time to go to one area, I would select the South island. So, you may want to consider flying into Queenstown airport on the south island instead. Then hang out in both Queenstown (which is an awesome quaint town) and go to Te Anua for a tour of the Milford Sound.

Also for Australia, again if your time was limited, you may consider flying into Cairns over Sydney and see the Great Barrier Reef.

We enjoy natural beauty and small towns over large cities.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I agree. Depends what you like but we drove through both the north and south islands. We enjoyed it all, but if I only had time to go to one area, I would select the South island. So, you may want to consider flying into Queenstown airport on the south island instead. Then hang out in both Queenstown (which is an awesome quaint town) and go to Te Anua for a tour of the Milford Sound.

Also for Australia, again if your time was limited, you may consider flying into Cairns over Sydney and see the Great Barrier Reef.

We enjoy natural beauty and small towns over large cities.
Thanks

I probably should have been more specific - I'm more interested in the pacific islands having already been to New Zealand in 2014.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Fiji is one of my favorite countries in the So. Pac.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_Scarlet View Post
We are planning a tour of the South Pacific in 2017. I have been thinking about whether we can cover what we want to cover on a cruise but it seems to be too difficult and there are potentially too many days lost at sea.

We are coming from Europe so my plan is to buy an around the world flight ticket and then do the following:

1. Fly to Easter Island and spend 4-5 days there.
2. Fly from Easter Island to Tahiti for a further 7-10 days.
3. Fly to Auckland and spend 4-5 days on the North Island (we may decide to skip this)
3. Fly to Sydney where we will pick up a 10 day cruise.
4. Fly home.

We've already traveled a lot in Sydney and Australia in general so no need to spend a lot of time there.

Any thoughts on our itinerary and or places we could / should stop off on the way there or back?
I saw where you said you had visited New Zealand in 2014...but how much of NZ did you see and experience? I spent 30 days touring around both North/South island back in 2007, and even that was just barely enough to see a bit of everything - while leaving me with enough enjoyment to want to go back and spend another month at some point in the future.

I know that your islands listed above have some things to see and do - but have you extensively researched the options? Or are you the type that likes to sit on the beach for 3-4 days and simply look out at the ocean as the water laps at your feet?

Before, I thought I'd spend my honeymoon at Bora Bora or some other South Pacific destination...but as I looked and actually started to plan my honeymoon for next month, I realized that those famous Pacific islands appeared to offer mostly just sitting on the beach and maybe some snorkeling (we aren't scuba divers). Yes, I realize that your honeymoon will not necessarily have to have a ton of other activities available...but if I'm spending $8k-$10k on a trip, I'm not looking to simply stay in meager accomodations with a view that you enjoy for a few moments, and spend the rest of the time sitting on the beach.

My point is - while you could spend a day or two at your listed island destinations, is there really that much for you to see and do that you would enjoy, versus perhaps some time in NZ or OZ? Also, keep in mind that airfare schedules to these island destinations can be very limited, and may also impact your itinerary.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #9

Favorite place on the planet for DW & I is Rarotonga, Cook Islands, easily accessable from NZ, only one flight a week from the US. We also like Fiji and French Polynesia (many islands). There are cruises out of Tahiti on Princess. Friends liked the Paul Gaugin also check out the French Polynesia supply ship the Aranui ( https://aranui.com/vessel/ )

But, seriously, check out Rarotonga, been there 5 times and going again next year, you may not want to come back.