Southwest Air early bird boarding - how does it work, really?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are very infrequent flyers, so are at the bottom of all airline totem poles and everything is a learning experience :facepalm:

We will be flying SWA to Phoenix and from Las Vegas over the next couple of weeks. When I made reservations, I bought "early bird boarding" but now I can't seem to get to ground zero on how this actually works. I've been all over the SWA web site and done Google searches, and it seems that others are puzzled and can't quite see how to take advantage of the implied "privilege" they paid for.

Who has used this service, and what are the steps one must take in order to invoke any "privileges"?

Amethyst

Well, from their website, it looks automatic:

"We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat."

This saves you from having to log on exactly 24 hours before your flight and check in yourself, which is what you usually have to do on SWA in order to not get a C grouping....

I saw that, too, but it strikes me as vague. Does assign your boarding position mean your seat? Or your seating "group"? I see nothing that suggests we won't still have to jockey in line, waiting while everybody and his brother in one privileged 'class' or another gets on the plane.

I'm annoyed that I didn't think to book business class (we travel so seldom it wouldn't be an extravagance) but I didn't think of it in time. In certain areas of life I am just not very smart.
Well, from their website, it looks automatic:

"We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat."

This saves you from having to log on exactly 24 hours before your flight and check in yourself, which is what you usually have to do on SWA in order to not get a C grouping....

SW does not assign seats. They assign a position in the boarding queue. Once on board you take any seat you wish. The boarding queue position is assigned sequentially, as people check in, beginning 24 hours prior to departure. Early bird assigns your number prior to that. Some frequent travelers will probably be ahead of you.

In the boarding area,you still stand in line, based on the number assigned on your boarding pass, and board when it's your turn.

Last edited:
kaudrey is correct - you don't need to do anything.

There are three boarding groups on SWA, aptly named A, B, and C. IIRC there are 60 people in each group, numbered A1, A2, A3, ... A60, B1, B2, etc.

Last I checked SWA does reserve some slots at the very top of the first boarding group for very special people like veterans and such. People who buy the advanced boarding option like you did end up starting at about A24 or so. So depending on when you bought your privilege and how many bought it before you did, you can probably expect to be towards the middle to end of the A group.

You don't have to do anything. Just go to southwest.com and print your boarding pass (or open it on the mobile app on your phone) within 24 hours of departure.

With Southwest, when you board, you line up in numerical order, A1 to A60; then B1 to B60; then whatever is left in the C range. Southwest assigns boarding numbers first to A-Listers (frequent flyers with status), then early-birds, then they go in order of check-in. Leaving PHX and LAS, you will probably end up in the A30 to A60 range with early-bird since those are hubs and there tend to be a lot of A-Listers in those cities.

Any A boarding pass will let you get a window or aisle seat with your traveling companion(s). Even up to about B30 is o.k. Higher than that and you may not be able to sit together, or one of you may end up in a middle seat. On short SWA flights, when traveling alone, I often opt for a middle seat near the front over a window/aisle in the back anyway.

I'm annoyed that I didn't think to book business class (we travel so seldom it wouldn't be an extravagance) but I didn't think of it in time. In certain areas of life I am just not very smart.

Southwest doesn't have business class. It's a very egalitarian airline. :)

Southwest does not have business class that I am aware of. They have one kind of seats. All passengers with A pass go in first, and they sit where ever they prefer. Then, B and C.

I have never purchased early bird boarding. I normally use my cellphone to do checkin 24 hours (well, 23 hour, and 59 minutes) before the flight. We sometimes get A seating, but more in B. Even when DW and I check in at the same time, we often get numbers that are more than 10 part (B40, and B52 for example). We never have any problems finding 2 adjacent seats though.

I fly Southwest a lot. I set an alarm on my phone for 24 hours before the flight when I reserve the flight, so that I remember to check in. Almost always get an A or B boarding pass, which almost always gets me a window seat. I really hate sitting in the middle seat.

The first time I flew Southwest was last fall and I was very confused about how all of the seating thing was going to work. Then I used it and saw how well it works. We did not buy the early boarding. We logged into SW a little before 24 hours before our flight and at the 24 hour mark we did the Check-In. DH and I and one of our sons were all on the same confirmation number (from your initial purchase receipt) and DH ended up with A50, my son and I were B8 and B11.

DH boarded with his A group and headed to the back where he picked an empty row. When our son and I boarded with all 3 sat together in DHs row.

Once we went through the process it all was clear and made a lot of sense. It really is very efficient. I don't like to fly but Southwest does a very good job.

One of the reasons we didn't pay extra for the early bird check is that we had to take 2 flights and change planes. So the $15 extra would have been for each flight for each of us. Not worth it for our flights.

We flew Southwest again in March. DH and I bought our tickets together. When I went to do the 24 hour check in using the confirmation number it only produced a line up number and boarding pass for DH. I had to scramble and find the original email receipt and was surprised that we had separate confirmation numbers. I found mine and quickly checked in. DH was B2 and I was B20. I think the separate confirmation numbers may have been because my boarding pass said "TSA PRECHECK". I did not apply for any special TSA handling, this appeared to be random. It was VERY NICE!

I always forget to sign into the internet to print the boarding pass 12 hours late. I'm always in the steerage section--in the back.

But I'm thankful that Southwest is so good at meeting their schedules and that they're so efficient with quick plane turnarounds. And I'm especially thankful that they keep all the big legacy air carriers' prices competitive and so much reasonable.

I saw that, too, but it strikes me as vague. Does assign your boarding position mean your seat? Or your seating "group"? I see nothing that suggests we won't still have to jockey in line, waiting while everybody and his brother in one privileged 'class' or another gets on the plane.

Everyone must wait to be called to board on every airline. With Southwest, you'll be assigned your boarding number and letter category. You should be in the A group (first to board), probably between 30 and 50.

If people are so bothered that they have to stand at a numbered sign to board, they are more than welcome to pay more on another airline (and pay to carry on their bag and check their bag) and to have a seat assigned to them so they can....wait for their group number on another airline to be called (bearing a very similar experience to the "A", "B" and "C" boarding groups on Southwest) - and then stand in a line once your group has been called (bearing a very similar characteristic to the queues on Southwest), waiting to hand their ticket over to a gate attendant, and spending more time waiting in line outside of the plane (again, in an eerily similar fashion to the passengers on Southwest)....only to then, again, wait in the plane aisles while some random person struggles with loading something into the overhead bin (you guessed it - very similar to what you would experience on Southwest).

Of course, if you really want to pay a whole lotta more bucks to fly business class for some perceived benefit....by all means, knock yourself out.

Everyone must wait to be called to board on every airline. With Southwest, you'll be assigned your boarding number and letter category. You should be in the A group (first to board), probably between 30 and 50.

If people are so bothered that they have to stand at a numbered sign to board, they are more than welcome to pay more on another airline (and pay to carry on their bag and check their bag) and to have a seat assigned to them so they can....wait for their group number on another airline to be called (bearing a very similar experience to the "A", "B" and "C" boarding groups on Southwest) - and then stand in a line once your group has been called (bearing a very similar characteristic to the queues on Southwest), waiting to hand their ticket over to a gate attendant, and spending more time waiting in line outside of the plane (again, in an eerily similar fashion to the passengers on Southwest)....only to then, again, wait in the plane aisles while some random person struggles with loading something into the overhead bin (you guessed it - very similar to what you would experience on Southwest).

Of course, if you really want to pay a whole lotta more bucks to fly business class for some perceived benefit....by all means, knock yourself out.

How much to fly in the baggage compartment? It would likely be a lot more comfortable, if a little cold...

Another thing about Early Bird and the reason we never do it. We seldom fly Southwest, but use it for our kids. Once we buy a ticket, we check periodically and if it goes down in price we just change to the new priced flight. The Early Bird fee is nonrefundable, so if you buy Early Bird the first time, and change to a cheaper flight, you don't get that back, and have to pay again if you want it on the next flight. Only if they cancel the flight do you get a refund. You could wait until you are sure you aren't going to re-issue your ticket, I suppose, but you lose some advantage because numbers are assigned in order of purchase within one class of ticket, Anytime being the first group processed.

There are apparently sites where you can input your information and they "snipe" your seat position at 24:00 hours prior, but I'm not sure if they work or whether Southwest has shut off their access.

I agree with most of the above however,

1. They do have a business class. You get an early A boarding number, free drinks, but no "specialty seat". They usually run about $445 each direction.

2. The "Early Bird" feature is $15.00 for entire trip, original destination to final destination. However, if your first trip is delayed somewhat and you miss your boarding call, you are SOL. That is if you are A17 and when you get to the gate and they're boarding the B30-60s, that's when you can cut line. But you can't knock someone out of a seat.

Normally I set an alarm and check in exactly 24 hours before our flight. However, on our last cruise we were flying back from New Zealand and were going to be in the air at that time. So I paid for the Early Bird boarding. We checked in maybe a couple of hours before the flight and got an early A boarding pass position. Normally I get a B position checking in right on time, so the A was nice and saved any possible hassle of sitting apart from each other if we had boarded last.

Thanks for all the insights. I have gathered that we do not necessarily need to 'check in' at the 24-hour mark - that EB means the airline has already assigned us a boarding "group"?

Thanks for all the insights. I have gathered that we do not necessarily need to 'check in' at the 24-hour mark - that EB means the airline has already assigned us a boarding "group"?

That's correct.

And the nice thing is, at least when I last flew SW, is that within A, B, C, they have little signs of groups of 5. If you have A17, you should have no problem jockeying with A40 and so on. You go to your group of 5 (16-20), and put yourself 2nd in that group. If that takes some jockeying, just look confused and innocently ask something like "I'm 17, is this the right place, what number are you, oh, 18, so I'm right in front of you?" B and C don't even line up while A is lining up. If there are more than 5 in my little group I'd have no qualms about asking why there are 6 of us, and showing my pass and asking if I'm in the right place, knowing I am, and craning my neck to see other passes.

I think the order is:
Pre-boards
Business Select
A-List Preferred
A-List
Early Bird

As others have said, the boarding queues are A1-60, B1-60, and C1-60

The Preboards are allowed to board first. They don't have corral numbers. Once they are in and seated, the Business Select, A Listers and Early Birds are then allowed to board. The Business Select will have a lower number than A-Listers who have lower numbers than Early Birds.

If there are 60 Business Select and A-Lister passengers, Early Bird corral numbers would start in the B's.

I've flown Southwest more than 200 times between Chicago and Phoenix. I've never been Business, Select, A-Lister, or Early Bird. I take my chances calling in exactly 24 hrs before departure. I've only had a middle seat a couple of times and DW and I have only been split up a couple of times.

With SW, if you and a traveling companion have widely separated numbers, say A33 and C10, can A33 save a seat for C30? Or will an attempt to do that get you lynched by the scrambling mob?

Does SW have the same problems with carry-ons as other airlines? Namely, too many people trying to haul on too much crap?

I flew frequently for MegaCorp back in the day but haven't been on an airplane for a decade. Now we're looking at a second home in a warmer climate but need to plan for frequent back and forth trips due to family issues. I'm starting to educate myself on all the new procedures........

With SW, if you and a traveling companion have widely separated numbers, say A33 and C10, can A33 save a seat for C30? Or will an attempt to do that get you lynched by the scrambling mob?

Does SW have the same problems with carry-ons as other airlines? Namely, too many people trying to haul on too much crap?

I flew frequently for MegaCorp back in the day but haven't been on an airplane for a decade. Now we're looking at a second home in a warmer climate but need to plan for frequent back and forth trips due to family issues. I'm starting to educate myself on all the new procedures........

DW and I have had separated numbers and have saved the middle seat. This isn't supposed to be done, buy rarely will anyone contest the fact that you are saving a middle seat - they'll just take the next available seat.

SW does have a problem with too much carry on baggage. They really try to convince passengers to store their stuff under the seat in front of them if possible - to make room in the bins for the many carry-on.

A man on my SW flight last month saved two rows of seats for his family. Sort of annoying considering the kids were young adults and even they were embarrassed about it.

If you don't otherwise have the TSA credentials, getting checked in ASAP at the 24 hour deadline supposedly increases the chances of getting TSA approved--I believe a limited number of people get it outside the verified folks and the sooner you check in, the better your chances, if that matters.

We paid for early-bird checkin just once, can't remember why--and learned you can't find out your boarding position until the 24 hr checkin time.

I'm resigned to SW and like it okay, but it's sort of interesting that other airlines haven't copied its boarding system.

Usually the saved seat culprits have one customer get the early bird and sit in an middle exit row seat. Most couples will walk by, then the person moves for their non early bird companion.
I fly to Napa quite a bit on SW, and I'm 6'5". I am always on the hunt for an exit row seat.

Southwest is my preferred carrier because they don't charge for checked bags (up to two) and they don't charge for changing your flight plans. Their "Business Class" gets you into the very first folks boarding which is key to getting one of the best seats i.e. exit row with more leg room. You also get significantly more frequent flier points for the same flight than regular fare which isn't a lot cheaper anyway. I only bother with Early Bird boarding if it's a long flight e.g. Phoenix to Buffalo because it increases my chances of getting exit row seating. On a short flight, I don't bother. Re saving seats: I hate when people do that - it's unfair and IMHO a form of cheating especially when it's precious exit row seating involved. I've made my thoughts known to those I've encountered doing that although I have never pressed the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom