SouthWest Airlines Ends Senior Discount

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just FYI. Announced on news this AM. 12-11-2019 is the end of SWA senior discounts.

We don't fly SWA, so no damage here. Any wailing, gnashing of teeth, or rending of garments going on about this?:popcorn:

We fly Southwest quite frequently and I have periodically chosen the senior fare selection when doing my searches - I've never seen any price differential from normal fares.

The senior deals were not often the cheapest. We seldom if ever choose them, and we fly SWA a lot. Not really an issue for us.

We fly Southwest quite frequently and I have periodically chosen the senior fare selection when doing my searches - I've never seen any price differential from normal fares.

Ditto--imo this fare unofficially has been gone for a long long time and the website is just being updated to eliminate the option when searching for flights. We've never seen a fare difference for seniors.

I see no reason for senior discounts on just about anything. One of the wealthiest age groups.

No big deal. I'm just glad they price by the flight segment. Those 1 way fares on the other legacy carriers can really eat you in the pocketbook.

We fly Southwest 99% of the time. Choosing "Senior" has NEVER returned a lower fare. Surprised they're ending it since it didn't really appear to be a thing.

IIRC, SWA's senior fares offered a slight discount off the regular fare and allowed refunds. They were always much more expensive than the wanna get away fares which are non-refundable but allow you to change your plans without a change fee. While non-refundable, the wanna get away fares let you use the funds within a year without penalty.

Dedicated to the proposition that all men (and women) are created equal

I see no reason for senior discounts on just about anything. One of the wealthiest age groups.

Stepping up on the rant podium:

I would extend this to eliminating special discounts entirely. For everything, for everybody, all of the time. Set a price that's available to everybody and let each customer decide whether to participate or not.

Over here Special Discount "A"; over there Negotiated Rate "B"; and the Platinum Club Membership price "C" over yonder. Senior discounts, student discount, military discount, AAA discount, ad infinitum.

This isn't merely a needless complication that gets larded onto no end of goods and services, making it extra work for people trying to manage their purchases efficiently. It also obliterates transparency and results in unfairly penalizing people who don't have the skills or time to game the system.

One need look no further than the health care industry, where nobody knows what anything really costs. The consequence is that anything and everything costs the earth and society pays through the nose.

But that same logic applies to air fares and movie tickets and tomatoes and Chevrolets.

What would be wrong with treating everybody the same? In the USA, where our founding documents claim we're an egalitarian society, that's the way it's supposed to be. Life would be easier, simpler, cheaper, more efficient, and a d*mn sight fairer.

Rant over.

We get 40/month off our TV/internet bill because DH is a veteran. We take advantage of discounts if it’s a product we want. Maybe as a whole seniors have more money but there are also lots of poor seniors. I was helping at a homeless event and many were seniors living on SS only. Rents have skyrocketed and they cannot afford to rent anything.

I'm a loyal SW flyer, but as others have pointed out, never used the senior discount because it is cheaper to use the lowest fare and tickets are changeable for up to a year, for free.

We get 40/month off our TV/internet bill because DH is a veteran......... .

Because I am over 65, social security sends me free money every month and I get discounted medical care insurance.

Because I am over 65, social security sends me free money every month and I get discounted medical care insurance.

How did you get free money? I had to pay a percentage of my wages for years to get social security!!!!

I'm a loyal SW flyer, but as others have pointed out, never used the senior discount because it is cheaper to use the lowest fare and tickets are changeable for up to a year, for free.

We are taking SW (first flight ever with them) to Belize in December. Makes me feel better that there are loyal SW flyers.

Travel‘s response made no sense to me and also first responders get the same discount as veterans for direct tv and AT&T internet packages.

We are taking SW (first flight ever with them) to Belize in December. Makes me feel better that there are loyal SW flyers.
I love Southwest. The staff is friendly, luggage is free, frequent flyer miles are super easy to use and tickets can be changed for free. Just be sure to check in on line at exactly the boarding time, 24 hours in advance or pay for early check in. Unless, of course, not sitting with your travel mate is not such a bad thing.

Stepping up on the rant podium:

I would extend this to eliminating special discounts entirely. For everything, for everybody, all of the time. Set a price that's available to everybody and let each customer decide whether to participate or not.

Over here Special Discount "A"; over there Negotiated Rate "B"; and the Platinum Club Membership price "C" over yonder. Senior discounts, student discount, military discount, AAA discount, ad infinitum.

This isn't merely a needless complication that gets larded onto no end of goods and services, making it extra work for people trying to manage their purchases efficiently. It also obliterates transparency and results in unfairly penalizing people who don't have the skills or time to game the system.

One need look no further than the health care industry, where nobody knows what anything really costs. The consequence is that anything and everything costs the earth and society pays through the nose.

But that same logic applies to air fares and movie tickets and tomatoes and Chevrolets.

What would be wrong with treating everybody the same? In the USA, where our founding documents claim we're an egalitarian society, that's the way it's supposed to be. Life would be easier, simpler, cheaper, more efficient, and a d*mn sight fairer.

Rant over.

Thanks........ :flowers:
Besides being more fair, it would save me a lot of time trying to find the best/better deal.

I purchase the minimum at my close grocery store, because they want me to be a mixi member to get a discount, every 6 months or so they come up with some other hair-brained idea which in reality only serves a small percentage of their customers some deals.
It make me mad enough to drive 2 miles to a competitor that treats everyone the same - no membership, no monopoly games, just simple low prices.

Back
Top Bottom