Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #101
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Each passenger should have a wall instead of the arm rests, going about 1->2 feet from the seat upwards. Sort of like sitting in a toilet stall with short walls.
After all flying is crappy anyhow
In January we flew Business Class, Singapore Airlines, IAH to Manchester, England and this is exactly what it was like except that the "wall" was a sliding panel. The seats also converted to flat beds and I slept extremely well, although when I woke up I saw that DW had put up the wall so maybe I'd been snoring
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Flying British Airways premium economy next month. I'm hoping my experience isn't a nightmare after reading all these posts.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Flying British Airways premium economy next month. I'm hoping my experience isn't a nightmare after reading all these posts.
Just be thankful that you are not trying to fly British Airways this weekend!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Just be thankful that you are not trying to fly British Airways this weekend!

Believe me, I am!!!!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Premium economy is awesome--you should have a great flight.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
How much would you pay to upgrade from economy to Business Class on a flight from Chicago to Amsterdam for 2 people ?

I was thinking about toughing it out for the 8 hrs (?) but maybe not...
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

We fly Southwest often. Boarding is so much fun. My DW and I board early and I ask the flight attendant if the plane is full. If it isn't, we take the aisle and window seat near the back and don't make eye contact with anyone boarding after us (along withe everyone else doing the same thing).

If the flight is full, we take a window and aisle seat further to the front, then I watch for a small female traveling alone and when she gets to our row I ask if she would like the window and my DW will move into the middle seat and give them the window. We all have more room and none of us have to sit next to the fat guy with B.O.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Aint it grand that after all this aggravation, they serve alcohol on the flights? Kind of like adding fuel to the fire. No wonder there are so many in-flight incidents these days.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
Aint it grand that after all this aggravation, they serve alcohol on the flights? Kind of like adding fuel to the fire. No wonder there are so many in-flight incidents these days.
The in-flight drinkie (provided it's late enough in the day) is my reward for surviving the check-in, the TSA line, the overcrowded waiting area with its blaring announcements and infernal beeping carts, and FINALLY getting airborne. Don't take that away from me!

I know what you mean, though. Sometimes flight attendants over-serve, particularly in Business Class, and not everybody is a mellow drunk.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would like to share a positive experience about a flight we took on SWA. DW and I took aisle seats for more legroom, so we had 2 people sitting with us on both sides.
On my side was a couple where the man had never flown before. After we landed, I think it took 15 minutes for his wife to get the circulation back in the hand of hers he was gripping. DW was sitting next to a grandmother and a young girl who had never flown. She was really excited about the flight, and after we took off, DW told her we would be flying above the clouds. The little girl said,"I think I am going to faint".
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #111

Quote:
How much would you pay to upgrade from economy to Business Class on a flight from Chicago to Amsterdam for 2 people ?

I would guess $4-5k. Round trip

We just did Portland-LAX- Stockholm and return was Paris-Chicago-Portland

We flew SAS Business. It was beyond wonderful. Lay flat beds. Personal attention. Lots and lots of (good) food. Chicago-Amsterdam is shorter so maybe a bit less?
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #112

THis is what a Business Class seat looks like on British Airways. It is fantastic!
Here is my thought- We used to travel quite a bit about 10 years ago. As we have aged, and with some health issues, we have slowed down and do not go on organized tours any more.
In October we will be going to Hawaii (big island) and flying first class. It costs about $1K more than coach, but the comfort is well worth it and inside our travel budget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (67.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #113

Quote:

You can check on Google flight. But sometimes they may give you cheaper upgrade.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
We fly Southwest often. Boarding is so much fun. My DW and I board early and I ask the flight attendant if the plane is full. If it isn't, we take the aisle and window seat near the back and don't make eye contact with anyone boarding after us (along withe everyone else doing the same thing).

If the flight is full, we take a window and aisle seat further to the front, then I watch for a small female traveling alone and when she gets to our row I ask if she would like the window and my DW will move into the middle seat and give them the window. We all have more room and none of us have to sit next to the fat guy with B.O.

Good strategy, packman!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:34 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
THis is what a Business Class seat looks like on British Airways. It is fantastic!
Here is my thought- We used to travel quite a bit about 10 years ago. As we have aged, and with some health issues, we have slowed down and do not go on organized tours any more.
In October we will be going to Hawaii (big island) and flying first class. It costs about $1K more than coach, but the comfort is well worth it and inside our travel budget.
If I may ask, what does the 1st class ticket cost? We have typically found 1st class to be around 3X coach (through Expedia or similar) but we fly to the midwest FROM Hawaii. So our $900 round-trip coach (one stop) is in the $2500 to $3000 range with 1st class. So far, we've never paid the extra, but still think about it each time. Thanks for any help.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Good strategy, packman!
I've never flown Southwest, but if I do, I'm TOTALLY stealing this tactic!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I'm wondering if plane seats have gotten much narrower, or what is driving this.
yes. and people bigger, like others pointed out.

one time I was in the middle seat with the male person on either side whose mid-sections were overlapping the armrest, and a crying baby directly behind, from Raligh NC to Denver. I did my best impersonation of a person who was experienced at meditation to get through it. If I had long legs like some of the posters here, it obviously would have been even worse.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Premium economy is awesome--you should have a great flight.
+1

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
If I may ask, what does the 1st class ticket cost? We have typically found 1st class to be around 3X coach (through Expedia or similar) but we fly to the midwest FROM Hawaii. So our $900 round-trip coach (one stop) is in the $2500 to $3000 range with 1st class. So far, we've never paid the extra, but still think about it each time. Thanks for any help.
Unfortunately, the answer is it depends. Our anniversary is in early November, but there was a $1000 per person difference between October and November. I guess October is the shoulder season. So we are going in October, and the fare difference will pay for 10 days in Hawaii.
BUT we booked it some time ago, and now the October fare is about $1500.
I tried using my BA miles, but there were so few first class seats it was impossible.
A few years ago, we flew coach to Kauai for $10 each using BA miles.
Space encroachment on flights
Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Space encroachment on flights

Same story here... had the middle seat between 2 very obese men. The 2 of them combined probably encroached on a third to a half of my total seating space. I'm a normal sized man and I actually had to squeeze my legs together to sit and then lean forward as it was physically impossible for me to actually sit with my Back to my seat. There just wasn't enough room. So I sat there crouched forward and as the flight attendant did the final check prior to takeoff she saw my plight and told me she would move me to an open seat once we were safely in the air. Thank God I was able to move as I didn't t see how I was going to be able to sit in that position for the entire 3 hour flight
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote