Space encroachment on flights

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm about 5'2" tall with a medium frame. On several flights over the last year, I've been seated next to guys with huge shoulders and big torsos, such that I'm losing 25%+ of my space to them. I'm wondering if plane seats have gotten much narrower, or what is driving this. On a shorter flight it's not a big issue, but it's really uncomfortable on long flights.

Is the only way to avoid this to upgrade to business class? We almost always fly economy but upgrade to premium seats in the main cabin so we get earlier boarding and more leg room.

I'm about 5'2" tall with a medium frame. On several flights over the last year, I've been seated next to guys with huge shoulders and big torsos, such that I'm losing 25%+ of my space to them. I'm wondering if plane seats have gotten much narrower, or what is driving this. On a shorter flight it's not a big issue, but it's really uncomfortable on long flights.

Is the only way to avoid this to upgrade to business class? We almost always fly economy but upgrade to premium seats in the main cabin so we get earlier boarding and more leg room.
From what I understand, the airlines are cramming you in like sardines. The seat widths are narrower, and the seat pitch (spacing) is getting less.
We opted for First Class for our anniversary trip to Hawaii, because it is a 5 hour flight.

Seats are narrower, and the spacing between rows is less. It all results in that flying has become a lot less enjoyable. My personal description is a flying bus.

Used to travel for work quite a bit, not so much anymore. I don't miss it at all.

It is shameful. The airlines have pitted their customers against each other for simple things like the seat room they have paid for.

Also, people are getting bigger. Well, er, fatter.

Take a gander around your doctor's waiting room next time you're there. You may notice, as I have, that they have a certain percentage of "wide" chairs that are about 25% wider than a normal chair.

You may also notice advertisements on TV for diabetic supplies, diabetes medicines, etc.

My best friend from high school is a doctor. I was talking with his wife the other day and she said they're actually having to buy office equipment that is stronger and can support larger bodies as there are many more obese people.

It's a natural result of desk jobs, big screen TV's, eating out, and 44-ounce sodas.

I swear I got a panic attack on my last flight. Almost to the point of walking off because I was wedged between two large people. Which of course would have gotten me arrested. I'm average or smaller like you, and only mildly claustrophobic, but the conditions on economy seating are pushing the limits even for guys like me with zillions of miles flown!

I'm small too, about your height, but I always sit next to my husband on a window seat, so problem is solved.

Is the only way to avoid this to upgrade to business class?

Some people may use phone apps like Seat Guru to select flights with slightly better room. Don't know how practical that is.

I'm a little over 6 feet tall, relatively thin but broad shouldered. I got so sick of the lack of room when traveling during my working years that I have refused to take an airplane since the day I retired. If I never get on another airplane the rest of my life, it won't bother me a bit.

Fly Southwest and book early. Since the seats are unassigned, by boarding in the first 60% or so of passengers, you will be able to choose more comfortable seating. Avoid the seats "between the two linebackers" or other large people, and look for smaller framed people. The window and aisle seats allow you to "lean" a little to secure space.

Begin looking for a good seat (towards the back of the plane) as soon as you board (and are killing time as others put their bags in overheads). Most people boarding after you will want to sit closer to the front. This way, you may wind up next to an empty seat.

Begin looking for a good seat (towards the back of the plane) as soon as you board (and are killing time as others put their bags in overheads). Most people boarding after you will want to sit closer to the front. This way, you may wind up next to an empty seat.

What's is this "empty seat' you speak of? Airlines have gotten so good at stuffing planes I haven't seen an empty (at least on a domestic flight) in the last 10 years.

Seats are narrower, and the spacing between rows is less. It all results in that flying has become a lot less enjoyable. My personal description is a flying bus.

In my experience bus seats are more supportive, wider, and with more leg room. Also, they don't cut down on the air supply, like is done on jets. So, an air bus would be preferable!

It's despicable that airlines create a space issue by continually decreasing leg room and seat width and then "solve it" by offering more comfortable seating (=what they used to offer as normal) for a premium. What's next, pay for your oxygen? Sit vs. stand? (Yes, I know that RyanAir actually floated that last idea.)

As a six footer with cranky knees, I just steel myself for an uncomfortable experience and plan accordingly (some chocolate treats and good stuff to read on my Kindle app). I don't consider the holiday to have begun until we exit the airport.

My petite wife is very kind and always offers to take the middle seat, while I take the aisle. The big person in the window seat doesn't normally affect her.
She and I have agreed, however, that after about age 75 we are traveling business/first only :)

-BB

Thanks for the responses. I also take the middle seat when traveling with DH as he is 6 ft tall, average build. I love flying Southwest but they don't fly to many of the SCUBA destinations we like to travel to. Some of these destinations such as Palau have very limited options re airlines. I suppose we can deal with it until the discomfort of the plane trip outweighs enjoyment of the destination. We could also both get aisle seats across from each other so neither of us is wedged in between large people. We budgeted $36K/year for retirement travel, but if we start buying business or first class tickets, we won't be traveling nearly as much as we envisioned.

Thanks for the responses. I also take the middle seat when traveling with DH as he is 6 ft tall, average build. I love flying Southwest but they don't fly to many of the SCUBA destinations we like to travel to. Some of these destinations such as Palau have very limited options re airlines. I suppose we can deal with it until the discomfort of the plane trip outweighs enjoyment of the destination. We could also both get aisle seats across from each other so neither of us is wedged in between large people. We budgeted $36K/year for retirement travel, but if we start buying business or first class tickets, we won't be traveling nearly as much as we envisioned.

DH and I always take aisle seats across from each other during long international flights.

On domestic flights we often take window and aisle in economy plus. About half the time the seat between us is empty which makes for a quite pleasant flight. If someone big does sit between us at least we are only squished on one side.

6'4" and ex-offensive tackle. Always take a window seat and usually sitting next to my wife or one of our kids but sometimes get stuck next to someone I don't know. NEVER a 5'2" tiny lady, ALWAYS another big guy.

Recently had a non-English speaking huge dude who got on wearing his swim suit and a tank top and his only carry on was a plastic dollar store bag with two family size chocolate bars. As soon as the flight took off he ate both of them in about 5 minutes, crossed his arms and fell asleep for the duration of the flight. Another solo flight last year I was happy to get front row of economy window seat and there was another tall guy in the aisle seat but nobody in the middle seat during the entire boarding. YES! Back 10 rows of the plane were empty. Captain announced we were delayed due to passengers not showing up for boarding and we couldn't leave them since their luggage was on board. After 30 minutes a family of 6 showed up and they all walked past the first row other than the large father who shoved himself down between me and the other guy, preferring a front row seat sandwich to walking 30 feet further to an empty row. Fortunately my eyes caught the stewardess who read my silent message of pain and forced the guy to move back.

Latest flights with the family I paid for business class and will likely just do that most of the time. 2 and 2 seating better for our family of 4 and its a luxury I can afford.

As long as we, the general public, keep sorting by price in Expedia and clicking only on the cheapest fares, the airlines will continue to squeeze (pun intended) the last dime out of their profit margins.

Sure, I've been guilty of that. I keep saying I'll pay more for a decent product but when it comes down to it I often choose the low price.

I admit that I am one of those big (fat) guys on a plane. I try to always get an aisle seat because I have broad shoulders and long legs. I recall about 10 years ago getting on the plane, having been assigned a middle seat. The flight attendant was right in front of me and we both looked at the two men sitting in the three seats. Their hips were touching and the middle seat was completely gone! :facepalm: There was no way anything could fit between them, let alone me!

Most of the big men are somewhat considerate about people next to them. I think the worst is the person who drops their seat back onto my knees or the kid kicking the back of my seat!:nonono:

I'm about the same size as the OP. DH and I do the 2-aisles when we can, and for international usually it's a bigger plane with the 2-5-2 setup, so we get the 2.

The worst encroachment/claustrophobia for me is the full-recliner in front of me. I'd be happy if they made it so the seats could not recline at all.

What's is this "empty seat' you speak of? Airlines have gotten so good at stuffing planes I haven't seen an empty (at least on a domestic flight) in the last 10 years.

There was ONE empty seat on the last flight I took. Right next to me :) I was in a window seat, with another guy (both of us average size) on the aisle. I kept my fingers crossed until the cabin door closed, then... yay!!

The woman in the aisle seat in the row in front of us called the flight attendant over and whispered some complaint about her seat. The attendant shrugged and said her only choice was to take the one other empty seat.

Which she did. After take off, she promptly ate her corned beef sandwich, then spent the rest of the flight knitting, elbows flying.

I can't imagine what was so horrible about an aisle seat that she'd rather take a middle one.

You can have the aisle seat. I'm more comfortable shoe horned into the window seat rather than being bumped, bruised, pushed, shoved, etc. by people walking past me. Or having someone drop their bag on my head as they try to put or take it out of the overhead. That has all happened.

As long as we, the general public, keep sorting by price in Expedia and clicking only on the cheapest fares, the airlines will continue to squeeze (pun intended) the last dime out of their profit margins.

Sure, I've been guilty of that. I keep saying I'll pay more for a decent product but when it comes down to it I often choose the low price.

Yep! Airlines know that US passengers are super price sensitive.

Personally, were OK paying up for a few perks as the base fare is still cheap, and since most of our fellow passengers are stingy, if there are open seats they will be in economy+ and our chances of a little more space are good.

We also usually fly on a Tuesday when planes are emptier.

I'm about the same size as the OP. DH and I do the 2-aisles when we can, and for international usually it's a bigger plane with the 2-5-2 setup, so we get the 2.

The worst encroachment/claustrophobia for me is the full-recliner in front of me. I'd be happy if they made it so the seats could not recline at all.

A lot of trans-Atlantic flights are 2-3-2. But the IAH to AMS is always a Boeing 777 with 3-3-3 config, and always full, so we've learned to sit across the aisle because there is always someone in the middle seat.

My husband takes up a whole plane seat at 168 pounds, while I at 133 pounds find the plane seat perfectly adequate. Because of our long legs (and for better lavatory access) I try to get us adjacent aisle seats.

On our most recent flight, a sturdy young man hopped into the middle seat next to each of us. My seatmate observed to me, "I like to sit next to the skinny people!" He spread his legs when seated, as some men tend to do, and for the next 7 hours I huddled into my seat to avoid his encroaching arms and thighs. Mr. A., for his part, tried to swell up to avert his seatmate's encroaching bulk.

This was Southwest Airlines, which I don't think has different seat classes.

A lot of trans-Atlantic flights are 2-3-2.

What floors me lately is I've seen some business class setups with the 2-3-2. Can you imagine paying business for a middle seat? Yes I know they are awesome and not remotely like a coach middle, but, on principle, heck no!

I will try to always pick my flights based on Airline/Route-stops/time/price, but I realize most customers are prioritized in reverse.

Some people may use phone apps like Seat Guru to select flights with slightly better room. Don't know how practical that is.

I'm a little over 6 feet tall, relatively thin but broad shouldered. I got so sick of the lack of room when traveling during my working years that I have refused to take an airplane since the day I retired. If I never get on another airplane the rest of my life, it won't bother me a bit.

I agree with that policy as much as I can but it does limit where you can travel. For Europe and Asia I still have to bite the bullet every now and then, but I do drive almost everywhere in the lower 48 now.

I second that!

Back
Top Bottom